United States
Local time: 16:21
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
暮春期间,趕快接活。 Mar 4, 2016

David Lin wrote:

Hi coolfool and ysun,

The posts about "invention, convention and disclosure" do not seem to have anything to do with the title of this thread "大家春节期间会接活吗?“. I wonder whether you could open a new thread for your interesting discussion that is related more to patent translation than whether to take jobs during CNY.

Just a friendly advice.

Regards.

David

[Edited at 2016-03-04 16:12 GMT]

暮春三月,江南草長,雜花生樹,群鶯亂飛。見故國之旗鼓,感平生於疇日,撫弦登陴,豈不愴悢。

Jinhang Wang
Jinhang Wang  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 04:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
楼歪歪已经成了我们中文论坛的习惯了 Mar 5, 2016

jyuan_us
jyuan_us  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2005)
English to Chinese
+ ...
可比性 Mar 5, 2016

coolfool wrote:

"The present invention discloses a method",在逻辑上是有问题的,因为 It is the applicant, not the present invention, who discloses a method。

Likewise,
His name escapes me.在逻辑上是有问题的,因为It is I, not the his name, who fail to remember his name. Unluckily, native English speakers as often as not say and write so. It simply means I can’t remember his name.

I don't think it is logical to compare "The present invention discloses a method" with "His name escapes me"
這兩個句子沒有任何可比性, A comparison between them doesn't lead to the conclusion.

The reasoning is not all that convincing.

[Edited at 2016-03-05 17:03 GMT]

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:21
English to Chinese
+ ...
跑题 Mar 5, 2016

J.H. Wang wrote:

楼歪歪已经成了我们中文论坛的习惯了

It is true. In my opinion, as long as the discussion is about language and translation, it shouldn’t be regarded as straying from the topic.

万马奔腾 always looks much more magnificent than 万马齐瘖, and 百花齐放 is always much more spectacular than 孤芳自赏!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Unedited since 3 days
Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
For me it's OK to stray off topic a bit Mar 6, 2016

J.H. Wang wrote:

but I "gotta" at least understand what's going on! Let's not speak in riddles, friends, haha

近来论坛只剩下我们几个了吗?各位,如果有什么可以改善的地方,希望大家和我们分享,让我们做得更好!

又,离题一点:元宵那天,我居然收到了亲戚送的曲奇饼做礼物....为什么不送汤圆我吃呢?

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
原因 Mar 6, 2016

Rita Pang wrote:

近来论坛只剩下我们几个了吗?各位,如果有什么可以改善的地方,希望大家和我们分享,让我们做得更好!

Rita,

如今不但上论坛发言的只剩我们几个,而且前来浏览的也大为减少。以前有些关于翻译问题的讨论,每天点击量 (Views) 可达几百,甚至上千。此论坛可谓门庭若市。而如今,几乎门可罗雀。不过我认为,其原因不是你做得不够好。我估计,主要原因是中国大陆的同仁上 Proz.com 比较困难。我每次回国对此都深有体会。最近情况如何,我就不了解了。若还是如此,我建议你在掌握规则时也许可以适当灵活些。“楼歪歪”只要不倒下来砸人就行。当然,那些严重犯规的行为,还是不能容忍,例如人身攻击。不少关于翻译问题的讨论,往往会演变为争吵,甚至人身攻击。大概这也是令人望而却步的原因之一。

pkchan
pkchan  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
新春過後 Mar 7, 2016

可能是忙碌接活,無暇上論壇。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
盲目模仿 Mar 7, 2016

wherestip wrote:

Incidentally, I've seen people's profiles that go "I'm gonna (do this)", "I wanna (do that)"

也许这些人以为只有这样写才像 native English speakers。但他们不知,在口头上这样说说尚可接受,但在书面上这样写就不可接受。

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree Mar 7, 2016

jyuan_us wrote:

coolfool wrote:

"The present invention discloses a method",在逻辑上是有问题的,因为 It is the applicant, not the present invention, who discloses a method。

Likewise,
His name escapes me.在逻辑上是有问题的,因为It is I, not the his name, who fail to remember his name. Unluckily, native English speakers as often as not say and write so. It simply means I can’t remember his name.

I don't think it is logical to compare "The present invention discloses a method" with "His name escapes me"
這兩個句子沒有任何可比性, A comparison between them doesn't lead to the conclusion.

The reasoning is not all that convincing.

[Edited at 2016-03-05 17:03 GMT]

实际上,“His name escapes me” 相当于 “His name is outside my memory”,或 “His name fails to be remembered by me”。所以,在逻辑上没有任何问题。在中文里也是如此,例如,“这位演员很有名,但他的名字我一时想不起来”,也完全合乎逻辑。

https://www.ahdictionary.com/word/search.html?id=E5212800
3. To be outside the memory or understanding of; fail to be remembered or understood by:
Her name escapes me. The book's significance escaped him.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/escape
3: to fail to be noticed or recallable by

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: No content
Sihua Yang
Sihua Yang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
口语和书面语不分 Jul 2, 2016

ysun wrote:

wherestip wrote:

Incidentally, I've seen people's profiles that go "I'm gonna (do this)", "I wanna (do that)"

也许这些人以为只有这样写才像 native English speakers。但他们不知,在口头上这样说说尚可接受,但在书面上这样写就不可接受。

我也遇到过这种,就是有个国外翻译公司的pm好像是中国人,跟我email联系时,竟然用些口头语,类似于hey什么的。第一次email通信竟然用这种口头语,让我感觉不够专业,觉得自己不被尊重,干脆也就不回复了。

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Accustomed to where one is Jul 2, 2016

There are people and people in the world.

Some, perhaps you included, are used to be all business at least at the beginning of business talking that’s supposed to smell of the shop. Some’d in a roundabout way like to try to be on a first-name basis and avoid being prim with his potential customers before starting especially small business. Some’d otherwise…

Try to be not picky and be well-prepared to be picked up by clients. These days, only the fitter, if not f
... See more

Some, perhaps you included, are used to be all business at least at the beginning of business talking that’s supposed to smell of the shop. Some’d in a roundabout way like to try to be on a first-name basis and avoid being prim with his potential customers before starting especially small business. Some’d otherwise…

Try to be not picky and be well-prepared to be picked up by clients. These days, only the fitter, if not fittest, survive in the society where the law of jungle prevails.
Collapse

Sihua Yang
Sihua Yang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
谢谢 Jul 3, 2016

coolfool wrote:

Try to be not picky and be well-prepared to be picked up by clients. These days, only the fitter, if not fittest, survive in the society where the law of jungle prevails.

我说的也许有点片面。刚开始是因为这个没理会,其实后来我也想单从内容上看是不是可以合作。结果发现,email里连对我的姓名称呼都没有,所以推测可能是群发的,而且价格也不理想,就没有再回。

coolfool
coolfool
China
Chinese to English
Kindness begets wealth Jul 3, 2016

Everyone has his likes and dislikes. That’s all too natural. But as a freelance, as with most lines of work, I’m of the opinion that it’d be way better off learning to take the rough with the smooth, or, in other words, roll with the punches, with, needless to say, due respect.

[修改时间: 2016-07-03 04:40 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

大家春节期间会接活吗?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »