Thread poster: Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 08:32
Russian to English
+ ...
Nov 29, 2009

I am just finishing up a 20,000 word project, and disaster struck.

Studio was slow, and I decided to restart. It "hung" when closing.

When starting again, I get the following message when I try to open my project, I get the following message:

Failed to activate project '1028 -1 - LL- Accounting Documents': Failed to load project from 'C:\Users\Tom\Documents\SDLTrados Studio\Projects\1028 -1 - LL- Accounting Documents\1028 -1 -LL- Accounting Documents.sdlpr
... See more
I am just finishing up a 20,000 word project, and disaster struck.

Studio was slow, and I decided to restart. It "hung" when closing.

When starting again, I get the following message when I try to open my project, I get the following message:

Failed to activate project '1028 -1 - LL- Accounting Documents': Failed to load project from 'C:\Users\Tom\Documents\SDLTrados Studio\Projects\1028 -1 - LL- Accounting Documents\1028 -1 -LL- Accounting Documents.sdlproj': There is an error in XML document (109, 223). Unexpected end of file has occurred, The following elements are not closed: FileVersions, LanguageFile, LanguageFiles, ProjectFile, ProjectFiles, Project. Line 109, position 223.

Worse, I have no idea how to try to restore the project - the files are just sitting there, but all I can find are Russian-only .sdlxliff files - the English side seems to have disappeared.

HELP!!!!!
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
German to English
start again Nov 29, 2009

Surely it's all in the TM, right? So create a new project with the clean source file and use the TM to translate. Does that help?

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The Horror Deepens Nov 29, 2009

Gillian Searl wrote:

Surely it's all in the TM, right? So create a new project with the clean source file and use the TM to translate. Does that help?

More Studio wonders.

I rested assured that my TM was updating. It was a very repetitive set of files, and the segments were all being populated from TM from one document to the other (not within the document).

However, when I filter the TM, only the first, smallest file of 20 seems to be in the TM.

Trados HORROR! I think I've lost a week of work.

=======

UPDATE

after searching the whole disk, I found the project memory tucked inside the project folder.

Hallelujah!

========

UPDATE 2

Found the project Translation Memory and was able to recover 5564 of 6166 sentences (13,698 of 17,462 words).

Still....having to retranslate 601 sentences (9.75%) @#$!!!!!! 3763 words could be a day's work! $@@*$!!!

And deadline is 50 minutes from now!

Also, all of my corrections from the review stage seem to have been lost. I thought TM was being updated by review!

[Edited at 2009-11-29 17:08 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-29 17:10 GMT]

[Edited at 2009-11-29 17:11 GMT]

Richard Bartholomew
Richard Bartholomew  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:32
German to English
And all this for how much? Nov 30, 2009

Adding insult to injury, Trados costs a small fortune relative to, say, WordFast. It is also significantly more difficult to use. I hope that any advantages it has over simpler, cheaper systems are very considerable indeed. I have never experienced any problems even approaching those described here while using WordFast.

This just serves to confirm my attitude that simplicity is best (KISS principle). Trados has all the earmarks of a solution looking for a problem.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Sure Nov 30, 2009

Richard Bartholomew wrote:

Adding insult to injury, Trados costs a small fortune relative to, say, WordFast. It is also significantly more difficult to use. I hope that any advantages it has over simpler, cheaper systems are very considerable indeed. I have never experienced any problems even approaching those described here while using WordFast.

This just serves to confirm my attitude that simplicity is best (KISS principle). Trados has all the earmarks of a solution looking for a problem.

Certainly, especially if you don't know how to use it. But that holds true for any production software.

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Attention :) Nov 30, 2009

Richard Bartholomew wrote:

Don't attack SDL here, the thread may be closed by the staff...

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/151708-misleading_advert_34501_words_translated_in_10_hours_by_only_one_translator-page5.html

Cheers
GG

Maciek Drobka
Maciek Drobka  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
OT: They DID finally close it, didn't they? Nov 30, 2009

Grzegorz Gryc wrote:

Don't attack SDL here, the thread may be closed by the staff...

http://www.proz.com/forum/software_applications/151708-misleading_advert_34501_words_translated_in_10_hours_by_only_one_translator-page5.html

Cheers
GG[/quote]

I followed the other thread closely for a few days, and to tell the truth, was surprised it was allowed to run for so long. I thought that maybe the site staff had adopted a more liberal, or should I say, more commonsensical attitude, and was pleasently surprised.

But no, it never fails, Big B. is there.

It's like a reflex. Whenever an important toe is stepped on, topics get squashed.

It's sad to see PC getting in the way of free exchange of thought.

Maciek

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Update 3 Dec 6, 2009

Well after the whole thing was over, and after another 6 hour "disaster" on Thursday, I am better off.

Fun being on the "bleeding edge" of technology implementation.

I could have recovered my original work a different way, and lost only 2-3 hours from the corruption of my original file.

The root problem is non-functional Russian abbreviation list, leading to bad segmentation. Bad segmentation leads to much manual re-segmentation, leading to file corruption
... See more
Well after the whole thing was over, and after another 6 hour "disaster" on Thursday, I am better off.

Fun being on the "bleeding edge" of technology implementation.

I could have recovered my original work a different way, and lost only 2-3 hours from the corruption of my original file.

The root problem is non-functional Russian abbreviation list, leading to bad segmentation. Bad segmentation leads to much manual re-segmentation, leading to file corruption, leading to CRASH.

The base abbreviation list problem was submitted to SDL help desk 10 days ago, no response yet.

As for the rest, what can I say.

1. Studio has amazing, benefits due to ability to employ multiple termbases and memories.

2. This comes at the price of a very complex data structure. There are multiple bilingual files (now .sldxliff) and a project memory in addition to file-based memories that only gets updated when you tell Studio to update them. I went to a one day course in NYC at the ATA, and the complexity of the data structure was never mentioned, despite the fact that one can hardly call this an "advanced" or even "intermediate" item.

3. I've been to 2-day Wordfast training to evaluate it. Studio is definitely a level above, but you'd better either invest the time in self-training or a course before plunging into production use.
Collapse

Tom Fennell
Tom Fennell
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No, it wasn't actually yet in the "real" TM Dec 6, 2009

Gillian Searl wrote:

That's pre-Studio TRADOS talk.

As I found out hours into another crash, Studio has a "project TM" that doesn't update the file-based TM's until it is told to. This means pre-translation won't work until after you have updated from project TM. Segment-by-segment translation replication works from project TM, but not the much faster pre-translation.

Anne Gwathmey
Anne Gwathmey  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
More trados horror Mar 25, 2017

I just had a similar near-death experience I have yet to resolve: 20k words, only 7k left, due Monday pm. Trados crashed as it sometimes does (goes milky). So I waited. Then my whole computer crashed and nothing worked, so I had to force closing. Reopened, and trados now not only not opens at all but gives me the following error:
Unknown exception.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException, mscorlib,
No going around it, whatever I try I get the same message. T
... See more
I just had a similar near-death experience I have yet to resolve: 20k words, only 7k left, due Monday pm. Trados crashed as it sometimes does (goes milky). So I waited. Then my whole computer crashed and nothing worked, so I had to force closing. Reopened, and trados now not only not opens at all but gives me the following error:
Unknown exception.

System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException, mscorlib,
No going around it, whatever I try I get the same message. The sdl site itself is useless, it is Saturday and all my geeks are enjoying the weekend (i.e. not on line).

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Temple
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Create a new project Mar 25, 2017

Add your translated sdlxliff to this new project but do not add the TM, so that the sdlxliff will be used as it is now, and not overwritten with possible fuzzies from the TM). Just add the sdlxliff and click finish.

When you are done, open the file in the editor and check if everything is fine, and if yes, then add the TM, glossary and everything else you need for your work.

Anne Gwathmey
Anne Gwathmey  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
+ ...
Thanks but Mar 25, 2017

That's not actually the problem--trados is simply on lockdown and will not open from any angle I try--from a TM, an xliff, a project, it has simply vanished. I have what I hope is backup in that I can send what I have done in project form to a colleague to finish it by the deadline.

I have never had trados pack up in this manner and it's frankly frightening. No matter where I click on it from, it starts and after 2 seconds pops off, followed by the error message.

But I
... See more
That's not actually the problem--trados is simply on lockdown and will not open from any angle I try--from a TM, an xliff, a project, it has simply vanished. I have what I hope is backup in that I can send what I have done in project form to a colleague to finish it by the deadline.

I have never had trados pack up in this manner and it's frankly frightening. No matter where I click on it from, it starts and after 2 seconds pops off, followed by the error message.

But I will caution this colleague to do what you suggest if she has problems, so your input is not useless!

Temple
Collapse

Nina Esser
Nina Esser
Germany
English to German
Project TMs Mar 25, 2017

I think you can tell Studio to save translations directly into your main TM instead of a project TM. When creating the project, do NOT select "Prepare" as batch task, but instead "Prepare without project TM". See also here for a description of the batch tasks: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Task_Sequence_Descriptions.htm... See more
I think you can tell Studio to save translations directly into your main TM instead of a project TM. When creating the project, do NOT select "Prepare" as batch task, but instead "Prepare without project TM". See also here for a description of the batch tasks: http://producthelp.sdl.com/sdl%20trados%20studio/client_en/Task_Sequence_Descriptions.htm

Maybe that'll help resolving similar Trados horrors more quickly next time
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:32
German to English
Uninstall and re-install Mar 25, 2017

That's the only suggestion I have. Google how to completely uninstall Trados; restart, download new version of Trados, install and hopefully everything will be fine.

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Repair Mar 25, 2017

Have you tried the 'repair' option (from the Control Panel)?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Studio emergency

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »