Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 23:02
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Nov 16, 2011

As deliverables, most of my clients expect a clean file and a tmx export. It is quite annoying that I need to create a new TM, import the sdlxliff and export to tmx every time, or to think up filtering strategies for exporting from the master TM directly. Instead, it would be nice to be able to export to tmx from the sdlxliff directly.

I've already submitted this to ideas.sdl.com. Once it gets vetted, I'll post a link here, in case anybody wants to vote for it.

Maybe th
... See more
As deliverables, most of my clients expect a clean file and a tmx export. It is quite annoying that I need to create a new TM, import the sdlxliff and export to tmx every time, or to think up filtering strategies for exporting from the master TM directly. Instead, it would be nice to be able to export to tmx from the sdlxliff directly.

I've already submitted this to ideas.sdl.com. Once it gets vetted, I'll post a link here, in case anybody wants to vote for it.

Maybe there already is a simpler way of achieving this?

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Gillian Searl
Gillian Searl  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:02
German to English
Project tm Nov 16, 2011

If you prepare the doc as a project instead of an individual file there is the option of creating a project tm. This tm only adds the segments fr that project. So you open it and export. Problem solved. Gillian

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no project tms Nov 16, 2011

Dear Gillian,

Many thanks for your response! Yes, that would be a solution, but I don't use project TMs. The reason is that I was repeatedly experiencing a bug (relevant segments weren't copied from the master TM to the project TM, hence no match leverage). This was confirmed by sdl staff, their advice being: Don't use project TMs until you absolutely have to because you want to send packages to other translators and you don't want to give them your master TM. SDL verbatim: "If the
... See more
Dear Gillian,

Many thanks for your response! Yes, that would be a solution, but I don't use project TMs. The reason is that I was repeatedly experiencing a bug (relevant segments weren't copied from the master TM to the project TM, hence no match leverage). This was confirmed by sdl staff, their advice being: Don't use project TMs until you absolutely have to because you want to send packages to other translators and you don't want to give them your master TM. SDL verbatim: "If the translator has access to the master TM, you should always create new projects without using project TMs". This suggestion has always worked fine for me - problem solved.

Until I know that this bug has been solved (is there a bug fixes list somewhere?), I can't use project TMs, so your suggestion is a theoretical, but not a practical solution for my problem.

Any other ideas?

Kind regards,
Erik
Collapse

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Use external app Nov 26, 2013

Hi Erik

I've been annoyed by the same thing but have found some workarounds for it. If you are working with Trados Studio 2009 or 2011 you can use the external app SDLXliff2Tmx that is available for free on the OpenExchange: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxliff2tmx-175.html?action=Download

The SDLXLIFF to
... See more
Hi Erik

I've been annoyed by the same thing but have found some workarounds for it. If you are working with Trados Studio 2009 or 2011 you can use the external app SDLXliff2Tmx that is available for free on the OpenExchange: http://www.translationzone.com/openexchange/app/sdlxliff2tmx-175.html?action=Download

The SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter (which can also be downloaded from the OpenExchange) can also be used to convert SDLXLIFF files to TMX but then it creates one TMX per file, with the other one you can add several files to the same TMX.

Finally, you can also use Xbench (www.xbench.net) to do this by loading the files in a new project and exporting all the items in Tools > Export Items...

Depends which configuration options you need and what you think is easiest. In any case, I think all of these options are quicker and easier than creating a new TM in Studio to import and then export like you say.

Best regards

Mette

[Edited at 2013-11-26 09:38 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
This post was 2-years old! Nov 26, 2013

Hi Mette,

You don't really need to use external apps for this, although sometimes they are convenient. Even if you don't use a Project TM you can simply create a TM for your Project, update all your project files to it, and then export that to TMX. It's not a complicated process. You can do this in 2009, 2011 or 2014.

Regards

Paul

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLXliff2Tmx Nov 26, 2013

SDL Support wrote:

Hi Mette,

You don't really need to use external apps for this, although sometimes they are convenient. Even if you don't use a Project TM you can simply create a TM for your Project, update all your project files to it, and then export that to TMX.

Regards

Paul

Dear Mette and Paul,

That's exactly what I was trying to avoid, as I find it unnecessarily complicated. Also, in a short time I have hundreds of TMs nobody needs. Sure, I know, it's easy to delete them, but that's yet another superfluous step.

Indeed this thread is two years old, and I am indeed using SDLXliff2Tmx now which does exactly what I need - highly recommended.

Kind regards,
Erik

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Yes you're right... Nov 26, 2013

... if all you want is the translated text as a TMX. It is indeed a cool application.

Regards

Paul

Mette Melchior
Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Danish
+ ...
Agree with Erik Nov 27, 2013

Hi Paul and Erik

I didn't realise the thread was two years old when I responded! It came up in a search and then I thought I'd just reply with some suggestions (thinking that the November date in the first post was November this year).

In any case, I agree with Erik that using one of the alternative routes is easier than doing it in Studio when all you want is a TMX with the contents of one or more bilingu
... See more
Hi Paul and Erik

I didn't realise the thread was two years old when I responded! It came up in a search and then I thought I'd just reply with some suggestions (thinking that the November date in the first post was November this year).

In any case, I agree with Erik that using one of the alternative routes is easier than doing it in Studio when all you want is a TMX with the contents of one or more bilingual files.

[Edited at 2013-11-27 08:18 GMT]
Collapse

Erik Freitag
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mouse clicks Nov 27, 2013

Just for the fun of it, I compared the number of mouse clicks necessary to achieve the same result with Studio alone and SDLXliff2Tmx in my working environment (which includes the absolute minimum of necessary folder navigation):

Studio: 28
SDLXliff2Tmx: 7

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Well.... Nov 27, 2013

.... if we want to discuss this a little more

If you do use a Project TM then you can do it in 7 clicks too including navigating to the folder first to find the path. And the added advantage of this, as it would be for creating a new TM to update to if you didn't use a Project TM, is that you also get any fields/attributes you might be using and you can export as a 2007 specific TMX.

But it's really horse
... See more

If you do use a Project TM then you can do it in 7 clicks too including navigating to the folder first to find the path. And the added advantage of this, as it would be for creating a new TM to update to if you didn't use a Project TM, is that you also get any fields/attributes you might be using and you can export as a 2007 specific TMX.

But it's really horses for courses... so if you never use Project TMs and if you only want the text then sdlxliff2tmx is great. No arguments there!

Cheers

Paul
Collapse

Silvernight
Silvernight
Lithuania
Local time: 00:02
English to Lithuanian
Help Mar 6, 2015

SDL Community wrote:

Hi Mette,

You don't really need to use external apps for this, although sometimes they are convenient. Even if you don't use a Project TM you can simply create a TM for your Project, update all your project files to it, and then export that to TMX. It's not a complicated process. You can do this in 2009, 2011 or 2014.

Regards

Paul

Hi guys, I really need help. Could someone explain exactly how to "update all your files" into a newly created TM. I'm fairly new to this software and this time I was told to translate a file in Studio and to send back SDLXLIFF and TMX. I translated it without creating a memory beforehand because there were no TMX files to be used. Now I find that I don't know how to make a TMX out of the SDLXLIFF that I have because I did not create a TM from which I could export it. I use Studio 2011 btw.

Valeria Rivero
Valeria Rivero  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:02
English to Spanish
Still no solution within Studio? Mar 22, 2017

Or... SDL could add a feature to batch tasks for a sdlxliff file to be quickly converted to tmx, rather than forcing us to use project TMs (I've found that what is stored in Project TMs doesn't always end up in the main TM, and I don't want unnecessary clutter). Has someone found a new workaround after 4 years?

SDL Community wrote:

But it's really horses for courses... so if you never use Project TMs and if you only want the text then sdlxliff2tmx is great. No arguments there!

Cheers

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Been around since 2009... Mar 22, 2017

http://appstore.sdl.com/app/sdlxliff2tmx/125/

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Export: sdlxliff->tmx

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »