Should I upgrade from 2015 to 2017 studio?
Thread poster: Ganerdene Gantumur
Ganerdene Gantumur
Ganerdene Gantumur
United States
Local time: 04:24
Member (2011)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
Mar 10, 2017

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 11:24
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
If your clients are happy, there may not be any need Mar 11, 2017

I did upgrade fairly recently, but only because I got a good offer. There are a few improvements in 2017, but in general I have not noticed any that to me warranted the full upgrade price.

So if both you and your clients are happy with 2015, I think you should stick with it.

Roy

[Edited at 2017-03-11 07:49 GMT]

Vladimir Matviyenko
Vladimir Matviyenko  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Ukrainian
+ ...
Why did I upgrade to 2017 Mar 11, 2017

I did it to reveal to my clients that I can afford to buy the newest CAT tool to be able to deliver best translation results.
Frankly speaking, there are no big advantages comparing to 2015, especially for my language pair German-Russian.

Enrico C - ECLC
Enrico C - ECLC  Identity Verified
Taiwan
Local time: 17:24
English to Italian
+ ...
No major differences Mar 11, 2017

I normally do when i get a proper offer.

A few more functionalities, some useful. The usual bugs that make it unpleasant to work with at times. Some interesting development on the Multiterm module while working in edit mode (friendlier). Bugs and slowliness are as usual. Also on an SSD.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 12:24
French to English
+ ...
Yes Mar 12, 2017

If you work with Trados on a regular basis and have a sizable TM, definitely yes.
It's the first "smart" version of Trados, with TM and termbase-based suggestions rather than just "matches".
Although it still has some old bugs and more than a few annoyances, it's significantly better than 2015.

Sandra

Ganerdene Gantumur
Ganerdene Gantumur
United States
Local time: 04:24
Member (2011)
English to Mongolian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your feedback Mar 17, 2017

Sandra& Kenneth wrote:

If you work with Trados on a regular basis and have a sizable TM, definitely yes.
It's the first "smart" version of Trados, with TM and termbase-based suggestions rather than just "matches".
Although it still has some old bugs and more than a few annoyances, it's significantly better than 2015.

Sandra

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
Combined functionality Mar 17, 2017

Now it allows you to merge segments.
========================

Cannot figure out how do I apply format (red ink) from source fragment to target when the red-inked source word is also a placeable (blue-underlined word)?
Holding Ctrl + mouse pointing at source gets the placeable inserted to target (which I do NOT need) instead of applying the red color from source to target (exactly what I need)...

Is there any workaround to avoid such coinciding functionality
... See more
Now it allows you to merge segments.
========================

Cannot figure out how do I apply format (red ink) from source fragment to target when the red-inked source word is also a placeable (blue-underlined word)?
Holding Ctrl + mouse pointing at source gets the placeable inserted to target (which I do NOT need) instead of applying the red color from source to target (exactly what I need)...

Is there any workaround to avoid such coinciding functionality?
Collapse

IrimiConsulting
IrimiConsulting  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2010)
English to Swedish
+ ...
Choose your own upgrade reasons Mar 22, 2017

I upgraded to 2017 because of the advanced filtering which was sorely needed. Fragment matching was never a reason for me to upgrade, but I discovered that it works surprisingly well. What I'm saying is that you should only upgrade if the cost is justified by the improvements. If you don't have to upgrade now then don't.

Yolande Hivart
Yolande Hivart
Austria
Member (2016)
German to French
I will upgrade Mar 23, 2017

Hi,

I am currently testing the 30 days offer alongside trados 2015 and I will most likely upgrade.

To me the benefits are:
When i have a TM with lots of tags, the new search for broken parts saves a lot of time. I used to have to search into the TM database for similar parts and now it is automatically shown. This saves lots of time, and if you enter the first letters of it, you can enter them automatically into your translation as if it were from Multiterm.
... See more
Hi,

I am currently testing the 30 days offer alongside trados 2015 and I will most likely upgrade.

To me the benefits are:
When i have a TM with lots of tags, the new search for broken parts saves a lot of time. I used to have to search into the TM database for similar parts and now it is automatically shown. This saves lots of time, and if you enter the first letters of it, you can enter them automatically into your translation as if it were from Multiterm.

Trados is starting to get intelligent. Not only it replaces numbers now. If it notices that something had been crossed out into the target translation it automatically deletes it in the translation it is proposing, sometimes it even swap it with the correct term that had to be changed with so you have to adapt the gender and what is around or simpy enter into the empty spaces.

It is learning from your translation. If you are not happy with what it offers you, it changes it accordingly the next time. For instance not to capitalize automatically after "par ex." in french. At the beginning i had to return and correct the automatically capitalized letter now not anymore.

I would say to me it saves me a lot of time because i work a lot with huge TM of content from others translators that i might or might not agree with, trados is learning not to take it everything over as if it were a perfect match.

However as said earlier, it depends on how you used trados. I you work less with third parties TM you might not notice it.

Yolande
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
English to Russian
But ‘Save as’ screens are the same… Mar 24, 2017

One program uses different 'Save as' screen styles.
When you Save Copy As, you can enjoy the modern screen view including Favorites, etc. (2 clicks to my destination folder).
When you Save Target As, you have to use the ancient “My-5-Places” view (12 clicks to destination).

Here is my suggestion for improvement:
Replace all these 'MyPlaces' screens with modern ones and you’ll be able to sell it for $200 more next year.
Thank you

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I upgrade from 2015 to 2017 studio?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »