Thread poster: David Petersen
David Petersen
David Petersen
Malta
Local time: 02:02
Japanese to English
Apr 29, 2017

Hello everyone,

I am translating a Word .docx file in TRADOS Studio 2015 freelance plus. When I [Save Target As], the first 1 1/2 pages of the document appear in the target language (English), but the remaining 13 pages remain in the source language (Japanese), even though the translation in [Editor] view is complete.

I have translated hundreds of documents, and this is the first time that I have run into this problem.

I have run the verification function,
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am translating a Word .docx file in TRADOS Studio 2015 freelance plus. When I [Save Target As], the first 1 1/2 pages of the document appear in the target language (English), but the remaining 13 pages remain in the source language (Japanese), even though the translation in [Editor] view is complete.

I have translated hundreds of documents, and this is the first time that I have run into this problem.

I have run the verification function, and there are no problems with the few tags in the document.

Any suggestions?

David Petersen
Collapse

Roy Oestensen
Roy Oestensen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2010)
English to Norwegian (Bokmal)
+ ...
Check tags Apr 29, 2017

Often the problem is tags either misplaced or on the wrong order. Check where in the document the problem is, and then check very carefully the tags in the surrounding segments and see if text may be placed in the wrong place compared to the tags, tags placed wrongly in the text, or in the wrong order. I know with Dejavu that this is most often the problem, and I can imagine the same is the case with Studio.

I have seen others also have similar problems, so you may also want to sear
... See more
Often the problem is tags either misplaced or on the wrong order. Check where in the document the problem is, and then check very carefully the tags in the surrounding segments and see if text may be placed in the wrong place compared to the tags, tags placed wrongly in the text, or in the wrong order. I know with Dejavu that this is most often the problem, and I can imagine the same is the case with Studio.

I have seen others also have similar problems, so you may also want to search the achives to see if there perhaps have been other solutions.
Roy
Collapse

David Petersen
David Petersen
Malta
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but... Apr 29, 2017

Thanks, but I have already used the verification function, and there are no problems with the few tags in this document.

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 03:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just guesssing Apr 29, 2017

I had once the same thing when translating a doc-file. I converted doc to docx and translated anew with the tm and it worked fine. Perhaps in your case the other way round might help.

David Petersen
David Petersen
Malta
Japanese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Converting from docx to doc solved the problem Apr 30, 2017

Thanks Heinrich - I tried your suggestion and it worked!

David

LEXpert
LEXpert  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:02
Member (2008)
Croatian to English
+ ...
Something in the segments before the glitchy sections May 1, 2017

Something similar happened to me - random sections in the exported file were still the source langauge, even though the file was 100% translated. Switching Word formats didn't work. SDL suggested inserting source in the two or three rows before the start of each glitchy section, to overwrite anything in the translation that may have been causing the problem. Due to time constraints, I never got around to trying that (it was right before the project was due - of course! - and there were a lot of ... See more
Something similar happened to me - random sections in the exported file were still the source langauge, even though the file was 100% translated. Switching Word formats didn't work. SDL suggested inserting source in the two or three rows before the start of each glitchy section, to overwrite anything in the translation that may have been causing the problem. Due to time constraints, I never got around to trying that (it was right before the project was due - of course! - and there were a lot of glitchy sections). Instead, I exported my TM to tmx and retranslated the project in MemoQ, which worked fine with some minimal cleanup.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translated Word document remains primarily in the source language

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »