Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >
What bothers you about the forums? (Poor spelling?)
Thread poster: Bernhard Sulzer
2nl (X)
2nl (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:50
Another flaw of the editor? Sep 12, 2015

2nl wrote:

Last but not least: a draft mode that saves postings before they are published. Quite some (longer) postings didn't appear after hitting the "Send*)" button (cannot see the correct name at this very moment, since I'm using iOS's Notes right now...). So I started using a text editor to write my postings. Afterwards I paste the finished message into a browser window. Yet another bypass when posting at Proz.

I just read this:

Please DO NOT reload the page with post opened for editing otherwise your post is submitted for vetting every few minutes.

Sounds to me like something that has to be fixed too.

Erik Freitag
Erik Freitag  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Yellow background Sep 12, 2015

Tom in London wrote:

Why was it ever decided that YELLOW is a good background colour? Was it out of a sadistic intention to ruin our eyesight?

[Edited at 2015-09-12 08:48 GMT]

Well, I'm not an expert in workplace ergonomics, but imho black letters on a light yellow background are quite pleasant and comfortable to the eye. There's a reason that these colours are used in a trade where acquiring complex visual information quickly, over long periods of time, and without straining your eyes is of the essence, namely for printing high quality sheet music.

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Spell-check feature in the forums Sep 12, 2015

Fiona Grace Peterson wrote:

2G Trad wrote:

Blaming users for their spelling mistakes. That's one of the things that bother me in a forum.

Yes!

2G Trad wrote:

Hide posts from selected users. That's the function I would love in Proz fora.

Double yes. A "like" button would be good too - not everyone has the time to write a reply to every interesting post, especially given the language requirements being doled out by some.

Just saw your post.
I believe I emphasized earlier that I thought it to be a good idea to try one's best when writing in English - not in the sense of delivering a flawless target text but by maybe re-reading one's post to take out really blatant mistakes, especially if you claim to be a translator with English as a working language; there is already a spell-checking feature built into the editing window that will warn you by way of red underlining of words that the word you are typing is spelled wrong. It makes for more pleasant reading and a more professional look of the forum thread when participants at least fix those words.

In no way do I suggest any kind of "requirements." So don't make me look like I am word extremist. My initial post is mostly directed towards those who don't bother fixing very obvious and annoying mistakes or grammatical errors. I usually don't let it bother me too much and am never pointing to it within a thread (except this one) but focus on the topic/discussion instead. Many of us use English every day when communicating with many of our clients, so a little exercise can't hurt.

So, thanks (to browser, Proz.com or whoever/whomever) for the spell-checking feature. If there's a way to improve it, even better.

[Edited at 2015-09-12 13:26 GMT]

Bernhard Sulzer
Bernhard Sulzer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:50
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good idea Sep 12, 2015

2nl wrote:

2nl wrote:

Last but not least: a draft mode that saves postings before they are published. Quite some (longer) postings didn't appear after hitting the "Send*)" button (cannot see the correct name at this very moment, since I'm using iOS's Notes right now...). So I started using a text editor to write my postings. Afterwards I paste the finished message into a browser window. Yet another bypass when posting at Proz.

I just read this:

Please DO NOT reload the page with post opened for editing otherwise your post is submitted for vetting every few minutes.

Sounds to me like something that has to be fixed too.

A draft saving feature would be great. For now when I write a longer post, I either keep copying it to the clipboard from time to time or type it in Word first. I've lost a lot of text by accidentally pushing a key .. and poof there went all my work.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:50
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Like Sep 12, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:
A draft saving feature would be great. For now when I
write a longer post, I either keep copying it to the clipboard from time to time or type it in Word first. I've lost a lot of text by accidentally pushing a key .. and poof there went all my work.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
What bothers me about the forums.... Sep 12, 2015

...is the way some responders adopt the third party, referring to the person who started the thread, or someone elso who has contributed, as "him" or "her". I find that arrogant and ill-mannered.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:50
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
On the other hand... Sep 12, 2015

Bernhard Sulzer wrote:

I believe I emphasized earlier that I thought it to be a good idea to try one's best when writing in English - not in the sense of delivering a flawless target text but by maybe re-reading one's post to take out really blatant mistakes, especially if you claim to be a translator with English as a working language; there is already a spell-checking feature built into the editing window that will warn you by way of red underlining of words that the word you are typing is spelled wrong. It makes for more pleasant reading and a more professional look of the forum thread when participants at least fix those words.

I sometimes contribute in somewhat imperfect IT, ES, and FR in their respective forums, because I see no other language in common with the OP, and want to help them.

I think the grammar & spelling patrol should take it lightly when it is obvious - from the poster's target working languages - that they are stretching their skills to contribute in some way.

Inga Petkelyte
Inga Petkelyte  Identity Verified
Portugal
Lithuanian to Portuguese
+ ...
Windows' "help" Sep 12, 2015

Local Windows also "help": the Portuguese version, for instance, changes "an" into "na", "efficient" into "eficiente", "client" into "cliente", among others, and a less attentive reader takes it as a writer's blatant mistakes.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree Sep 12, 2015

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

I think the grammar & spelling patrol should take it lightly when it is obvious - from the poster's target working languages - that they are stretching their skills to contribute in some way.

I agree. I wish my Portuguese were as good as your English !

ELIA JAHN
ELIA JAHN
Portugal
Member (2017)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
View latest post directly Apr 22, 2017

Hi,
I'm not sure if it has already been suggested (or if it's a functionality that is somehow "hidden"), but it would be great to be able to jump immediately to the latest post in a thread when looking at the list of threads in any sub-forum (it actually says who made the latest post and when, but there's no link to the post itself)...

Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno
Álvaro Espantaleón Moreno  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2015)
English to Spanish
hidden forums Apr 22, 2017

There should be hidden or private forums not indexed by Google.

Christel Zipfel
Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
Member (2004)
Italian to German
+ ...
They already exist! Apr 22, 2017

Álvaro Espantaleón wrote:

There should be hidden or private forums not indexed by Google.

There are private forums (see on the right site of the forum page); as their name says, they are not public and not indexed by Google. I was part of one of them until it was closed by the owner.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2016)
English to German
+1 Apr 22, 2017

eliasjahn wrote:

Hi,
I'm not sure if it has already been suggested (or if it's a functionality that is somehow "hidden"), but it would be great to be able to jump immediately to the latest post in a thread when looking at the list of threads in any sub-forum (it actually says who made the latest post and when, but there's no link to the post itself)...

That would save time and clicks, which any translator will appreciate.
I would like that functionality in the "recent topics in translator forums" part of the starting page.

[Edited at 2017-04-22 17:07 GMT]

BNN Medical Tr.
BNN Medical Tr.
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
See below Aug 16, 2017

1- The fact that you HAVE to provide a title for replies to a topic. This is annoying, and I don't think many people read them.

2- The fact that every single post you make has to be approved by an admin. Even very small edits to huge posts will have to be approved before they are visible... I hope this is just because my account is new and the system doesn't yet trust that I'm not some spammer. Otherwise it's just a bad system.

3- The fact that you can only do a generic [quote] tag, without being able to add the username of whoever you're quoting with [quote=username].

These are the gripes I have so far.

Tatiana Dietrich
Tatiana Dietrich  Identity Verified
Argentina
English to Danish
+ ...
Forum posts from members or users with verified identities are posted immediately Aug 17, 2017

Please note that forum posts from members or users with verified identities are posted immediately, while posts from all others are checked before being made visible, as stated in http://www.proz.com/faq/3064#3064 .

Thank you for your other suggestions. Welcome to ProZ.com!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What bothers you about the forums? (Poor spelling?)

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »