Different clients, different across versions - what to do?
Thread poster: Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos
Barbara Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 08:06
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
May 30, 2019

Dear across users,

one of my clients decided to update to the 7.0 across version and asked their freelance translators to do the same.
However, another one of my clients told me, upon my query about this update, that I must keep the 6.3 version in order to keep working for them, as they don't have the new version yet.
I would like to keep working with both clients.

So now I have the following doubt: is it technically possible that I keep my 6.3 version (with
... See more
Dear across users,

one of my clients decided to update to the 7.0 across version and asked their freelance translators to do the same.
However, another one of my clients told me, upon my query about this update, that I must keep the 6.3 version in order to keep working for them, as they don't have the new version yet.
I would like to keep working with both clients.

So now I have the following doubt: is it technically possible that I keep my 6.3 version (with latest upgrades) on my desktop and install the new 7.0 version in my laptop? I am a premium cross market user, but I will not be working at the same time in both devices.

Thank you all for your help and ideas!

Best
Bárbara
Collapse

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Hi Barbara May 30, 2019

Well, translation is no mere CATing or indulgencing, not to mention if your clients rule your business, then it's hardly yours...

Of course, you could use several devices and versions or try another standalone or web-based application with easy export, but why? It's not worth it, IMO.
Real end clients don't care about your tools and methods, only good results.

Furthermore,
Original + Translation + Alignment = TM for any CAT of any version

Platary (X)
Platary (X)
Local time: 09:06
German to French
+ ...
Ask the Helpdesk May 30, 2019

Hello Barbara,

reading the What's new V7 file (in the v7 ZIP package to download),

Across

there does not seem to be any compatibility problem between the two versions, and I didn't have any problem when I switched to version 7 (the only one I now have).

But, the following makes some trouble and I have no technical explanation about the choice between the two "Paketversion" :

Bitte beachten Sie die folgenden Punkte:

- Informieren Sie alle Akteure innerhalb der Lieferkette rechtzeitig, bevor Sie ein Update auf die v7.0
vornehmen, um Datenaustauschprobleme zu vermeiden.
- Ab Across v7.0 gilt für den Datenaustausch zwischen Akteuren mit v7.0 die Paketversion 20. Für den
Datenaustausch mit älteren Across-Versionen wählen Sie die vorhergehende Paketversion 19 aus.
- Online-Clients benötigen weiterhin denselben Versionsstand des Across Language Server.

So, the best would be to submit a ticket to the Helpdesk, even if it's sure that as a Premium Cross Market member you can install the soft on two computers.

Hope this helps!

Barbara Santos

Barbara Santos
Portugal
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's wait for the HelpDesk May 30, 2019

Hello Adrien,

thank you for your answer - I did just that and submitted a ticket to the HelpDesk.
My "old version" client's problem might be not really the new across version but the add-ons he uses with across, which were developed for v6.3.

Let's see what the HelpDesk says. I will post their answer when it arrives.

Best
Bárbara

Barbara Santos
Portugal
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi DZiW May 31, 2019

Thank you for your (unsolicited) thoughts on business strategies and client management - they reminded me of why I almost never use Internet forums.
My mistake, my post was not clear enough on this matter.

Gerald von Stein-Salisbury

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
You're welcome May 31, 2019

Barbara, only you may know the true reasons. Other people can only see the intermediate results and consequences of your* decisions--that you (1) are getting into troubles by (2) letting your clients dictate the rules in your* business, for what it's worth.
Mistakes are but known vulnerable spots to eliminate for the progress.

While it's rather embarrassing and upsetting--not without reason, I'm also glad that you did pay heed to your* business strategies and client management practices because with the current approach no tech support will ever solve it for you, alas... Hmm, what is the daytime phone number for business support?)

Communication rulez!
Take care

[Edited at 2019-05-31 11:43 GMT]

Jan Kapoun
Jan Kapoun  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Local time: 09:06
English to Czech
+ ...
Run multiple versions of Across on virtual machines / Docker Apr 24, 2022

If you want run multiple versions of Across on your machine, I would suggest you use the so-called virtual machines for that. That means a virtual computer system inside your real computer - you run just another copy of Windows inside your Windows with a different version of Across in it.
There is a multitude of software you can use for virtualisation: VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.
Alternatively, you could perhaps pack up your Across version also into Docker (something like a very light v
... See more
If you want run multiple versions of Across on your machine, I would suggest you use the so-called virtual machines for that. That means a virtual computer system inside your real computer - you run just another copy of Windows inside your Windows with a different version of Across in it.
There is a multitude of software you can use for virtualisation: VMWare, VirtualBox, etc.
Alternatively, you could perhaps pack up your Across version also into Docker (something like a very light version of a virtual computer software)... but I haven't tried Docker sofar... mainly it's a thing for programmers, for software deployment.
Collapse

Barbara Santos
Portugal
Member (2005)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 4, 2022

Thank you, Jan, for your suggestions.

In the meantime, the problem was solved on the client's side, with an update of their own add-ons.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Different clients, different across versions - what to do?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »