Notarisation
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:23
German to English
Aug 13, 2020

My question concerns notarisation. I was not too sure which category to place this in.

Specifically, notarisation for the benefit of the Italian authorities.

The client has asked for translation childrens' birth certificates from English into Italian, for the purposes of obtaining travel documents for them for a forthcoming trip to Italy.

Having spoken to some Notary Publics in the UK, it seems the consensus is that, being official UK documents, translatio
... See more
My question concerns notarisation. I was not too sure which category to place this in.

Specifically, notarisation for the benefit of the Italian authorities.

The client has asked for translation childrens' birth certificates from English into Italian, for the purposes of obtaining travel documents for them for a forthcoming trip to Italy.

Having spoken to some Notary Publics in the UK, it seems the consensus is that, being official UK documents, translations cannot be notarised in the UK. If they need an apostille, that is apparently up to the client to speak to the Foreign and Commonwealth Office about in London.

However, I am wondering whether certified translation into Italian will be sufficient for the Italian authorities stop is it possible that notarisation will be required in Italy in order for the translations to be accepted by the authorities there?
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Andrew Aug 13, 2020

I would get in touch with the Italian Embassy. In those cases, that's always what I've done and the Embassies I have contacted over the years have always been very helpful...

Tom in London

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Assume Aug 13, 2020

I would assume that the translation of any document into Italian , for official purposes, would have to be notarised by an Italian notary.

INCA-CGIL in London assists Italian and non-Italian citizens in the UK with many types of official documents. I have found them most helpful. I suggest you give them a call. They may be able to help you themselves, or point you in the right direction. Although they are based in London they assist people all over the UK. Needless to say they speak
... See more
I would assume that the translation of any document into Italian , for official purposes, would have to be notarised by an Italian notary.

INCA-CGIL in London assists Italian and non-Italian citizens in the UK with many types of official documents. I have found them most helpful. I suggest you give them a call. They may be able to help you themselves, or point you in the right direction. Although they are based in London they assist people all over the UK. Needless to say they speak Italian and English.

http://incauk.net/

[Edited at 2020-08-13 10:38 GMT]
Collapse

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
INCA-CGIL on holiday... Aug 13, 2020

Hi Tom

UnfortunatelyINCA-CGIL are on holiday until 23 August, as I just discovered... However, thank you very much for the steer.

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Information from Consulate General? Aug 13, 2020

I have received an email from the Italian Consulate General in London which stated the following:

"the translation does not have to be notarized in italy, but it's fine for us to just have a correct translation of the two birth certificates together with a letter of certification as well as a stamp to verify that it is genuine.

Best regards,
Ufficio stato civile"

So I will take that as definitive.

HOWEVER I should add for the sake of fu
... See more
I have received an email from the Italian Consulate General in London which stated the following:

"the translation does not have to be notarized in italy, but it's fine for us to just have a correct translation of the two birth certificates together with a letter of certification as well as a stamp to verify that it is genuine.

Best regards,
Ufficio stato civile"

So I will take that as definitive.

HOWEVER I should add for the sake of future researchers that there is apparently contradictory information on their website:

https://conslondra.esteri.it/consolato_londra/en/i_servizi/per_i_cittadini/traduzioni
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Notarisation

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »