Uploaded TMX but not populating target text
Thread poster: Joanna Kl
Joanna Kl
Joanna Kl
United Kingdom
Mar 10, 2021

I am new to CafeTran.

I translated a file in CT, exported the TMX file, but needed to re-do the translation with a new file formatting (no new source text, just new formatting, text splitting/paragraphs layout). I thought that all I need to do is upload the previously exported TMX, upload the file with new formatting, and I'll get 100% matches. For some reason this is not the case. Any suggestions please?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Subtle differences in formatting Mar 11, 2021

can lower the matching rate under 100 %. Differences in segmentation aren’t subtle at all, and will lower the matching rate significantly.

Do you get fuzzy matches?

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 07.33.16

Screen Shot 2021-03-11 at 07.33.52

You can click the Join and Split icons to recreate the segmentation of the original document:

By default, CafeTran Espresso will store the locations of in-segment formatting in a new project memory:

When opening an existing memory that has been saved with the locations of in-segment formatting, you'll have to tick the corresponding checkbox:

[Edited at 2021-03-11 09:08 GMT]

Joanna Kl
Joanna Kl
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
To Hans Mar 11, 2021

I am not getting any results from my Project TM tab, and the Matchoard is bringing up what looks like a machine translation that doesn't encompass my TMX at all. Does it matter that I am using the Free Trial of CafeTran?
Is varied segmentation a problem in oher translation tools as well? Or are the other translation tools (like Trados) 'more clever' in matching source and target with varied text splitting?
I am using CafeTran to translate subtiles, the text never changes, but the di
... See more
I am not getting any results from my Project TM tab, and the Matchoard is bringing up what looks like a machine translation that doesn't encompass my TMX at all. Does it matter that I am using the Free Trial of CafeTran?
Is varied segmentation a problem in oher translation tools as well? Or are the other translation tools (like Trados) 'more clever' in matching source and target with varied text splitting?
I am using CafeTran to translate subtiles, the text never changes, but the division of text into segments does, to match timings on the video.
Thank you for your reply.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Subtitles Mar 11, 2021

Joanna Kl wrote:

I am not getting any results from my Project TM tab

Did you copy the memory from the original project to the new project folder?

When you check via the context menu of the memory and choose Browse memory - Forward, do you see any content?

Screenshot 2021-03-11 at 13.33.05

There are a lot of marketing claims about this topic, you'll just have to check the other tools ...

Joanna Kl
Joanna Kl
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Working with TMX Mar 11, 2021

Hans,

I haven't copied the TMX into the new folder, just added it to CafeTran in the project settings. Should I move the TMX file on my computer first, and then uplod it to the new project? Does that make a difference?
I'm not getting anything with the backward/forward browsing.

For the future, as this a part of a large ongoing project for the same company, how do I ensure all my translation memories are created/stored and retrieved effectively as a one cumulativ
... See more
Hans,

I haven't copied the TMX into the new folder, just added it to CafeTran in the project settings. Should I move the TMX file on my computer first, and then uplod it to the new project? Does that make a difference?
I'm not getting anything with the backward/forward browsing.

For the future, as this a part of a large ongoing project for the same company, how do I ensure all my translation memories are created/stored and retrieved effectively as a one cumulative file please?
Thank you.
Collapse

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Create a memory Mar 11, 2021

Open the original project again
Create a new memory via the Memory menu.
Choose Memory - Import project segments.
Open the newer project.
Open the memory from step 2.

Joanna Kl
Joanna Kl
United Kingdom
TOPIC STARTER
Importing project segments Mar 11, 2021

Hans, thank you for bearing with me thus far.

When I click on it, a small dialogue window pops up that says 'Project TM', but no file to save.
Will it go straight to Project TM and when TMX is exported it will contain the segments?
Another thing I notice (in the initial project) is that when I click on the 'Cup of coffe' icon it says 'Frgment memory is not open'. Does it matter?

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Other approach Mar 12, 2021

Perhaps it is simpler for you as a new user to open the original project and either add the new document or replace the old one via the Project menu?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Natalie[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Uploaded TMX but not populating target text

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »