Jinfeng Mao
Jinfeng Mao  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 09:19
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
Dec 14, 2019

Help!
I experienced difficulties in viewing proz website without VPN in mainland China. I could view the content by using the Bing search engine, but it was not in a proper form, and the speed was extremely slow.

Jianrong Sun
Jianrong Sun  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:19
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
VPN Dec 14, 2019

If you live in mainland China, Use this link: https://www.meidajs.biz/

It is one of the cheapest VPN, and I use it for almost one year.

Jinfeng Mao

lbone
lbone  Identity Verified
China
Member (2006)
English to Chinese
+ ...
VPN Dec 30, 2019

A stable VPN is necessary for freelance translators in mainland China.
I suggest international brands which are known to work for China. You can find these brands by searching Google with proper key words. The brands usually have mature schemes, many servers spanning across many countries and can provide timely support. Most of them are not expensive actually due to competition.
You might also want to have Plan B and Plan C prepared well in advance in case of service down.

Jinfeng Mao

Jinfeng Mao
Australia
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Dec 30, 2019

Hi Jianrong and Ibone,

Thank you for the information. I used ExpressVPN and NordVPN during my last visit to China, both were terrible. Next time, Jianrong's suggestion will be my plan A, and I am still looking for plan B.

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 02:19
English to Chinese
+ ...
Astrill Dec 30, 2019

was what I was using when living in mainland China. It is one of the most expensive ones, but at the same time one of the most reliable ones. I had no Internet connection problems even on some 'sensitive dates'. So if your budget permits, I would strongly recommend this VPN.

Jianrong Sun
Jianrong Sun  Identity Verified
China
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
+ ...
VPN Jan 4, 2020

再补充一点

作为一个对网络不陌生的工程师,我试过很多VPN,包括国内及国外著名主流VPN品牌。我的看法是,为了保证不影响工作,你需要一个主VPN,另外1-2个备份VPN。因为,如果你的VPN好用,用的人就多,就会引起注意,被墙的可能性就大,最终会导致不好用或不能用。

Jinfeng Mao
Australia
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot. Jan 4, 2020

Jianrong Sun wrote:

再补充一点

作为一个对网络不陌生的工程师,我试过很多VPN,包括国内及国外著名主流VPN品牌。我的看法是,为了保证不影响工作,你需要一个主VPN,另外1-2个备份VPN。因为,如果你的VPN好用,用的人就多,就会引起注意,被墙的可能性就大,最终会导致不好用或不能用。

Jinfeng Mao
Australia
Member (2019)
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot. Jan 4, 2020

Zibow Retailleau wrote:

was what I was using when living in mainland China. It is one of the most expensive ones, but at the same time one of the most reliable ones. I had no Internet connection problems even on some 'sensitive dates'. So if your budget permits, I would strongly recommend this VPN.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Access to proz website in mainland China

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »