对中国翻译社的营销
Thread poster: Lauren Higgins
Lauren Higgins
Lauren Higgins
United States
Local time: 11:16
Chinese to English
Mar 6, 2020

大家好,因为我还是在慢慢积累经历的阶段我联系的客户主要是翻译社,目前不花很多时间找直接客户。我作为美国翻译者自然而然从美国翻译社开始,但是我觉得有可能他们需要的翻译(尤其是在营销,网站,本土化等)是英成汉,跟我做的相反。那么我在想能不能扩大我的营销范围。我每天都继续研究自由职业翻译这个行业,看博文,听博客什么的。不过,到目前为止我所吸收的大多信息好像是以西方市场为焦点,比如怎么对欧美客户推销自己的服务。我知道中国翻译社应该有所不同,却对合适的营销方法一无所知。就想知道这里的同行有没有在此方面的见识或在线资源可以分享一下?谢谢

Laurent Mercky
Laurent Mercky
France
Local time: 17:16
Chinese to French
+ ...
have a try Mar 7, 2020

Lauren Higgins wrote:

大家好,因为我还是在慢慢积累经历的阶段我联系的客户主要是翻译社,目前不花很多时间找直接客户。我作为美国翻译者自然而然从美国翻译社开始,但是我觉得有可能他们需要的翻译(尤其是在营销,网站,本土化等)是英成汉,跟我做的相反。那么我在想能不能扩大我的营销范围。我每天都继续研究自由职业翻译这个行业,看博文,听博客什么的。不过,到目前为止我所吸收的大多信息好像是以西方市场为焦点,比如怎么对欧美客户推销自己的服务。我知道中国翻译社应该有所不同,却对合适的营销方法一无所知。就想知道这里的同行有没有在此方面的见识或在线资源可以分享一下?谢谢

Very hard to understand your main meaning.
Why don't you try to search directly for Chinese agencies through Internet and send them your CV ?

Come like you are.
Just do it.

Understood ?

Mina Chen
Mina Chen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
Blue Board 上就有很多中国翻译公司 Mar 8, 2020

(your post is perfectly understandable by the way).
最近job board上找中进英(要求译者母语是英语)的好像有不少,包括一两家中国翻译公司。
刚在blue board上查了一下,中国的翻译公司居然有几百家!:)
祝你好运!

David Lin

Fangyuan Cen
Fangyuan Cen
China
Local time: 00:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
Opinion from a EN ZHCN translator Mar 9, 2020

Hello Lauren,

This is Fangyuan Cen, EN-ZHCN freelance translator based in Zhejiang, China, having connection with in total 20+ Chinese and western translation agencies ( such as ECI, Linguitronics, Taking China etc)and focusing on marketing & advertising fields.

I would personally suggest you to check CSA Top 100 LSPs in Aisa List (you can just google it). There are quite many Chinese translation agencies and you can check blueboard to see if they are good or not. ... See more
Hello Lauren,

This is Fangyuan Cen, EN-ZHCN freelance translator based in Zhejiang, China, having connection with in total 20+ Chinese and western translation agencies ( such as ECI, Linguitronics, Taking China etc)and focusing on marketing & advertising fields.

I would personally suggest you to check CSA Top 100 LSPs in Aisa List (you can just google it). There are quite many Chinese translation agencies and you can check blueboard to see if they are good or not.

For now most ZHCN-EN projects are made by Chinese translators actually since it's difficult for agencies to find western translators know Chinese. And I believe quite many Chinese companies are willing to pay high rates to make sure their marketing materials reaching western customers well.

If you would like to know my opinions on some Chinese translation agencies I have worked with, feel free to send me an email [email protected] or find me on linkedin.

(btw, I can totally understand what you mean although it's easy to notice it is written by non-native speaker. But I guess it's the same situation for my English post and luckily I never do ZHCN-EN translation lol)
Collapse

ysun
ysun  Identity Verified
United States
English to Chinese
+ ...
扬长避短 Mar 9, 2020

Lauren Higgins wrote:

就想知道这里的同行有没有在此方面的见识或在线资源可以分享一下?谢谢

你的母语是英语。你的特长应该是汉译英。美国有许多需要汉译英的翻译公司和客户,为何你反而舍近求远?况且,中国的翻译公司通常价格都很低,你能接受吗?

Zibow Retailleau
Mina Chen
David Shen

Zibow Retailleau
Zibow Retailleau  Identity Verified
Mauritius
Local time: 20:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
@Lauren Mar 9, 2020

I have several American clients for whom I provide CH to EN language services. With your command of Chinese, which is quite good in my eyes, why not try your hand at it on home turf? Besides, as ysun said, I'm not sure what you can get from Chinese agencies will allow you to maintain a decent standard of living in the States.

Best of luck!

[Edited at 2020-03-09 08:49 GMT]

Mina Chen
David Lin
David Shen

Rita Pang
Rita Pang  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 12:16
Member (2011)
Chinese to English
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
Welcome Mar 11, 2020

Fangyuan Cen wrote:

Hello Lauren,

I would personally suggest you to check CSA Top 100 LSPs in Aisa List (you can just google it). There are quite many Chinese translation agencies and you can check blueboard to see if they are good or not.

For now most ZHCN-EN projects are made by Chinese translators actually since it's difficult for agencies to find western translators know Chinese. And I believe quite many Chinese companies are willing to pay high rates to make sure their marketing materials reaching western customers well.

If you would like to know my opinions on some Chinese translation agencies I have worked with, feel free to send me an email [email protected] or find me on linkedin.

(btw, I can totally understand what you mean although it's easy to notice it is written by non-native speaker. But I guess it's the same situation for my English post and luckily I never do ZHCN-EN translation lol)

Just wanted to extend a warm welcome to Fangyuan and best of luck to Lauren. Lauren - I translate into English myself and must say that the first steps are always the toughest, but once you get past that things will definitely look up. Don't restrict yourself to agencies based in the States. Rather, try apply to different postings you see here on Proz. The first few months will be a pretty big hurdle to jump but you'll get there. Best of luck.

Lauren Higgins
Lauren Higgins
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
Great stuff Mar 11, 2020

谢谢大家的建议和鼓励!我会继续向美国译社投简历(目前用ATA的公司单),同时开始研究中国公司。希望网罗越广,收获越大。

As for my Chinese writing, I intend to keep working on it! Thanks for putting up with it as is. The only English-to-Chinese work I've done has been pro bono projects for non-profits, so I definitely don't dare to try that professionally.

David Shen
David Shen  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:16
English to Chinese
+ ...
Knowing your advantage Mar 11, 2020

《凤毛鳞足》

Lauren,

Your command of Chinese is applaudable! As far as I can tell from these two passages your have posted, they are near native fluency. Not all native speakers can do that well when it comes to written expression and choice of words.

You will have a clear advantage as a translator working from Chinese into English, just by the sheer number of Chinese speaking translators alone! A small number of them do work against the flow, but
... See more
《凤毛鳞足》

Lauren,

Your command of Chinese is applaudable! As far as I can tell from these two passages your have posted, they are near native fluency. Not all native speakers can do that well when it comes to written expression and choice of words.

You will have a clear advantage as a translator working from Chinese into English, just by the sheer number of Chinese speaking translators alone! A small number of them do work against the flow, but those who can produce good English texts are rare. However, I do agree with ysun and Zibow that you should use your advantage and start from agencies here in the US to get into the door first.

Translation as a career often requires knowledge of a certain profession or two to go with it, which would take you a long way as one establishes him or herself down the road. Unless you already have an orientation, I would strongly suggest that you focus on a few specific disciplines and choose to work on projects that really interest you, instead of accepting jobs of all fields indiscriminately, even though your target language would always be native enough. There are numerous Chinese agencies out there trying to find someone to render their Chinese texts into decent English, often without much luck, but they do know when they see quality English, especially literature related to a certain field that they are looking for.

[Edited at 2020-03-11 23:16 GMT]
Collapse

Lauren Higgins
Lauren Higgins
United States
Chinese to English
TOPIC STARTER
过奖:) Mar 12, 2020

Thanks, I'm hoping this imbalance will work to my advantage as well! I'm still figuring out which areas I'd like to focus on too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

对中国翻译社的营销

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »