صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >
Corona quarantine diary
ناشر الموضوع: Mervyn Henderson

expressisverbis
البرتغال
Local time: 15:03
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
A different diary ("TV journal") Apr 16

A shocking footer appeared in the Portuguese news, TVI’s channel, on April 14th: “Population of North of Portugal less educated, poorer, aged and living in nursing homes”, followed by images of Porto.
Porto is the North, but the North is not just Porto…
These were the reasons claimed for the high number of cases and deaths in the “Invicta” city, the most punished with Covid-19 in Portugal.
(By now, the country shows almost 19,000 confirmed cases, and more than 600
... See more
A shocking footer appeared in the Portuguese news, TVI’s channel, on April 14th: “Population of North of Portugal less educated, poorer, aged and living in nursing homes”, followed by images of Porto.
Porto is the North, but the North is not just Porto…
These were the reasons claimed for the high number of cases and deaths in the “Invicta” city, the most punished with Covid-19 in Portugal.
(By now, the country shows almost 19,000 confirmed cases, and more than 600 fatalities.)
The channel already apologized for this unfortunate footer on the screen after the reactions of social media and Rui Moreira, the President of Porto City Council.
However, words were said, and pains were felt.
The fight against coronavirus must be national and transversal, and on a global scale, but instead of it, TVI found interesting to spread this “virulent” news.
(I always learned the press should provide a service of exemption and objectivity… I am so naïve!)
With this news, the population was hurt, “cataloged” and with a feeling of not belonging to Portugal.
The fact is that Porto has been very active and helpful during this pandemic, and in self-isolation:
Movement “North in Action”, disinfectant gel produced by Santo António Hospital, and others, creation of medical caravans, and many voluntary companies are contributing with medical equipment/items, etc. with the leadership of Rui Moreira.
The North is made of educated, humble, friendly, and hospitable people, and the South knows us very well.
I hope this will not happen again, because I am a “tripeira” (native of Porto) who loves her country, from one end of the continent to the other, Islands included!
I couldn't imagine I would watch and read this news in such difficult times like these.
We need to be united, and contained in this emergency and difficult time, without creating divisions and disharmony between North and South regions.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Mervyn Henderson

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Creepy, but Apr 16

Lingua 5B wrote:

Diary April 16

I went to a hospital for a medical interpreting assignment. A very tall building indeed and I hate elevators (hate is an understatement). So I walk in and check on numerous elevators, preferably with other people inside so I am not left all alone inside in case it gets stuck somewhere in between the two floors. So I enter a rather smallish elevator with two other people inside, one person pressing the buttons asking us all what button to press for us. I say "floor 12, please". As we move upwards, he says to me "Ma'm, I can't see number 12, I pressed 14 for you, so you may just walk two floors downs using the stairs". I say "Fine, thanks, no problem". The elevators stops. I can't wait for the door to open just to pop out. So I do and I am relieved. I walk around trying to find the exit with staircase in order to go down and reach my destination floor - floor #12. However, I walk around in circles and can't seem to find the exit, then I eventually find one, but the staircase looks like a maze. I decide to walk around the floor 14 in order to ask for help and as I walk around things start getting a little suspicious. I can see epidemiologists in white overalls (now this is a literal overall with white pillow case over their head and black welding glasses), I see a lot of buzz, I see spit and blood on the floor, drama everywhere. I start getting even more suspicious slowly stepping into a panic mode. I start running down toward the maze-like staircase, where somewhere in the middle of the route down towards the floor 12 (not reached yet) I meet an acquaintance and tell her about what I saw on floor 14 and that I assume it's the floor for Corona infected people only, she answers "Yes, it is".

Can't remember what happened next. I did not wake up in sweats as the night was rather chilly. I just woke up.

I'm glad it was just a nightmare.

Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
عضو (2014)
دانماركي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Well Apr 16

expressisverbis wrote:

If that happened in Germany, I guess the offender would be booted out faster than anyone could say 'Geflügelfleischuntersuchungsverordnungsinkrafttretenrevisionsverfahren' (it passed the spellcheck).

There will always be haughty idiots. Don't let them get you down. I had a wonderful holiday in the Porto area many years ago, in the 80s, enjoying the vinho verde and many other things. But many locals were driving like maniacs. Do they still do that?

expressisverbis
Mervyn Henderson
Oksana Weiss

Brian Joyce  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي

Posted via
ProZ.com Mobile

The long kiss goodnight. Apr 16

Hey Merv, your cool story reminded me of a book by Ray Chandler, titled above. It's about a middle aged writer who dissapears to go on a booze binge. When detective Marlow catches up with him, an encounter between the writer and the written takes place.

"I know you think there is something inside of me trying to get out Marlow, but your wrong. There is nothing nothing nothing".
The wisdom of ages. Expressive verbs talked about a subject very dear to me, that is snobber
... See more
Hey Merv, your cool story reminded me of a book by Ray Chandler, titled above. It's about a middle aged writer who dissapears to go on a booze binge. When detective Marlow catches up with him, an encounter between the writer and the written takes place.

"I know you think there is something inside of me trying to get out Marlow, but your wrong. There is nothing nothing nothing".
The wisdom of ages. Expressive verbs talked about a subject very dear to me, that is snobbery, and a north south divide. Here in the north of England we suffer from decades of under funding, due to the aggressive snobery of the south, who are apparently surprised that we can read. Our response to this is simple, f*#k 'em. Although this response is not to everyone taste I understand that, I'm just saying it works for me.
3 more weeks of containement and then it's over. My under funded little ass can get on with it, just gonna booze binge my way through the next 3 weeks.
Collapse

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
No, I do not feel resentful, or sad :) Apr 16

Yes, they still do that, but now… no more, roads are almost empty, and desert.
When all this is over, I'm sure drivers will drive safer, and I hope you can visit us again, in the company of the "vinho verde" and friendly people.
I was just unpleasantly surprised with the news.

Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson
Thomas T. Frost

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
Local time: 16:03
عضو
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Friday 17 April - Cookery Friday Apr 17

554 dead yesterday nationwide, as against 523 the day before. And the headline isn’t much better: “Six people die every day in senior citizens’ homes”. I think that one’s just the Basque Country, though. Thank God it’s Friday.

And Friday means Cookery Day again. Today it’s Fish Soup, but keep it under your hat, don’t let the Basques know. They reckon they invented fish. Especially cod. Not for nothing do they have the expression “he/she who cuts the cod”, meaning
... See more
554 dead yesterday nationwide, as against 523 the day before. And the headline isn’t much better: “Six people die every day in senior citizens’ homes”. I think that one’s just the Basque Country, though. Thank God it’s Friday.

And Friday means Cookery Day again. Today it’s Fish Soup, but keep it under your hat, don’t let the Basques know. They reckon they invented fish. Especially cod. Not for nothing do they have the expression “he/she who cuts the cod”, meaning the Person in Charge of Things Around Here, and if they find out you’re even contemplating doing fish, they’ll be in like Flynn with a barrage of questions, what kind of fish, where did you buy it, going to roast it or fry it or do it in a sauce, oh yes, what sauce is that, what’s in it, oh no, you can’t do that, no no, my gran used to say that you should always …

See? Not worth it. Like you give two buggers what granny said or did. Today it’s a hands-on effort too, because I was at the fishmonger stall in the market early this morning to test-drive it first, because it’s been a while. There are three stages: the sauce stage, the stock stage and the fish ‘n’ seafood stage. All I’ve had time for so far is parts one and two, because I’ve got 8K to do later, so only the easy bit to go a little later on today.

Ingredients for about 4:
One largish onion
One largish green pepper
Two or three cloves of garlic
Two red chilli pepper seeds
Ten plum tomatoes
Three or four wedges of cheap white fish, salted and roughly quartered (you don’t put bream or cod or hake in this, but I bought angler fish this morning, in wedges, prepared with the bones and skin aside, because I like angler fish and I’m doing the bloody thing, aren’t I?)
A dozen clams
A dozen pre-cooked langostino prawns
A bottle of chilled white wine (not the cooking stuff, the real McCoy)
The Secret Ingredient (fish cube this time)
Parsley if you want to put some in or on at the end (the fishmonger always offers it, so might as well take it)

SAUCE STAGE
Chop the onion and the peppers and fry slowly in olive oil in a large fish casserole pan. When they’re soft, add in the chopped tomatoes and add a bit of sugar to counter the acidic taste. There isn’t much else to that, so you can just let it reduce on a medium heat for half an hour or so and stir occasionally, and meanwhile you can get on with the ...

STOCK STAGE
Top and tail and peel the prawns, but DON’T throw away the tops and tails etc. because you’ll be needing them in a few minutes. Put the peeled prawns away with the fish chunks and the clams, for part three. Put the stock cube into a pan of about an inch of water, along with the fish bones and skin. While it’s heating, put the remains of the prawns in a pan with some oil and the chillis, and fry them, crushing their little heads and tails and the chillis with a wooden spoon to get all that fishy spicy gunk out. When they’ve changed colour after about five minutes, throw the water and stock and fish bones etc. in the frying pan, and let it all simmer for five minutes. Strain it, and there’s your stock.

Add the stock to the sauce, let it all cook for a bit more, and then put it in the blender. There’s your fishy spicy orangey sauce. It should be thickish, it all depends on how much stock you put in, but really it doesn’t matter, because after all it’s a soup, innit?

FISH ‘N’ SEAFOOD STAGE (only half an hour before serving)
Put the clams, peeled prawns and bits of fish in a pan with chopped garlic and chopped parsley, and fry the lot gently until the clams open. Pour the lot into the sauce, including all the clammy liquid, and Bob’s your uncle.

Pour out a large glass of wine. Sip it slowly. No, it was never going in there with the rest. If you’ve timed it right, when you’ve finished that glass it’ll be time to add all that stuff in.

That’s it. I might have missed out on a few of the finer details, but got to get back to work. Got to buy some white wine at some point for stage three as well.

[Edited at 2020-04-17 09:23 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
عضو (2003)
فرنسي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
Italy even worse Apr 17

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Hi Mervyn, like I said at page 1, I am resident in Spain now blocked in Italy since Feb 28, (I am Italian citizen)

yesterday after 40 days of "confinamiento" of the whole country and 50 since the confinamiento of my province (not Milan) but still almost 600 dead nation wide, situation is still worrying, they want to open May 4th, but... the "curva" does not decrease... and (in percentage) Italy has the highest number of deaths and the lowest number of recovered. It is a real mess here and on top of that I do not know when I will see my dear home in Spain close to the beach, (Comunidad Valenciana). Worried and sad here.

expressisverbis

Anthony Keily
عضو
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Situation in Lombardy/nursing homes Apr 17

I'd say the situation in 16 of Italy's 20 regions is probably less severe than elsewhere. The real problems have arisen around the original cluster in the North, which to be fair has been very successfully contained to date.

Basically pretty much all headline statistics (new cases, deaths, recovered) in all countries are very approximate. The crucial statistic is pressure on ICUs in terms of admissions. Some experts here in Italy are suggesting the number of deaths is at least doubl
... See more
I'd say the situation in 16 of Italy's 20 regions is probably less severe than elsewhere. The real problems have arisen around the original cluster in the North, which to be fair has been very successfully contained to date.

Basically pretty much all headline statistics (new cases, deaths, recovered) in all countries are very approximate. The crucial statistic is pressure on ICUs in terms of admissions. Some experts here in Italy are suggesting the number of deaths is at least double the official number in Lombardy and up to seven times the official number in other regions. The usual indication used to measure the effect of epidemics is deaths over the usual number of deaths for a given period in official records and this will be the best indicator of the damage done once the dust has settled in Europe.

The situation in nursing homes is dire in most countries. I expect the total number of deaths in RSAs in Lombardy will run into the thousands. I live in a small town in the Alps (pop. 12,500) and there have been 30 deaths in the first 10 days of this month alone in our RSA, most suspected cases of Covid19. I expect that in most European countries the number of deaths in nursing homes will probably be equal to the number of hospital deaths. The vast majority of homes are unable to deal with critical cases or even to properly contain spread of the disease to staff and other residents.

I've seen other comments about the low number of recorded recoveries in Italy, but this number will settle at a similar number in most developed countries. Testing tends to be done more where the outbreak is less severe, since where it hits hardest, resources tend to shift away from testing and towards emergency services. Since it takes at least two negative tests to establish a recovery, you can see how the recovery figure would lag behind the positives figure in the cluster areas. The vast number of people that I know who can safely be assumed to have been been infected (for example, family members of medical staff testing positive) and who have recovered or died have not been tested due to the pressure on services.
Collapse

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Angie, Apr 17

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Hi Mervyn, like I said at page 1, I am resident in Spain now blocked in Italy since Feb 28, (I am Italian citizen)

yesterday after 40 days of "confinamiento" of the whole country and 50 since the confinamiento of my province (not Milan) but still almost 600 dead nation wide, situation is still worrying, they want to open May 4th, but... the "curva" does not decrease... and (in percentage) Italy has the highest number of deaths and the lowest number of recovered. It is a real mess here and on top of that I do not know when I will see my dear home in Spain close to the beach, (Comunidad Valenciana). Worried and sad here.

Countries will start to lift restrictions gradually and in a controlled way, Italy included.
Some regions in the north of Italy will maintain their measures for longer, according to what I read in the news.
https://www.thelocal.it/20200416/a-summer-without-travel-how-long-will-italys-coronavirus-lockdown-last
I also agree it's too early for allowing reopenings, but I believe we will be complying with the rules enforced before.
Don't be sad, please! We will get back to normal, it's only a matter of time, and soon you will be in your sweet home in Spain! (Lucky you! A sea view I have mountains, a very green landscape).
Cheer up!

Kay Denney  Identity Verified
فرنسا
عضو (2018)
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
. Apr 17

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Worried and sad here.

Just a big virtual hug to commiserate with you (from France where things are not much better).

Angie Garbarino
expressisverbis

عضو (2003)
فرنسي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
Regions in the north want to open they are discussing just now Apr 17

expressisverbis wrote:

Countries will start to lift restrictions gradually and in a controlled way, Italy included.
Some regions in the north of Italy will maintain their measures for longer, according to what I read in the news.
https://www.thelocal.it/20200416/a-summer-without-travel-how-long-will-italys-coronavirus-lockdown-last
I also agree it's too early for allowing reopenings, but I believe we will be complying with the rules enforced before.
Don't be sad, please! We will get back to normal, it's only a matter of time, and soon you will be in your sweet home in Spain! (Lucky you! A sea view I have mountains, a very green landscape).
Cheer up!

Thank for your empathy, really, I am listening right now, that the 3 more affected regions in North (I am now in one of them) want to open mar 4th, I understand that it is time to open but with 600 dead every day and an increase of 1000 infected (every day just in the Northern regions), is worrying.
But yes they will open, and we will have to live with that monster.

expressisverbis

عضو (2003)
فرنسي إلى إيطالي
+ ...
A virtual hug back Apr 17

Kay Denney wrote:

Angie Garbarino wrote:

Worried and sad here.

Just a big virtual hug to commiserate with you (from France where things are not much better).

Thank you Kay. A hug back to you, I know France is suffering, I have also relatives there (my mother was French). France is my second country along with Spain

expressisverbis
Kay Denney

expressisverbis
البرتغال
عضو (2015)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
I know it's not easy, Angie Apr 17

While Portugal is being a little spared, we are living here with fear… and since one of my sisters was infected about two weeks ago, our concerns are bigger.
In these times I really don't know the right words to ease our pains. We just need to be patient (It's easy to say… and I am not patient at all).
We are going to live with this "monster", but not for long!
My virtual hugs to you, and everyone!

PS: I just find a bit strange no interaction of any Portuguese
... See more
While Portugal is being a little spared, we are living here with fear… and since one of my sisters was infected about two weeks ago, our concerns are bigger.
In these times I really don't know the right words to ease our pains. We just need to be patient (It's easy to say… and I am not patient at all).
We are going to live with this "monster", but not for long!
My virtual hugs to you, and everyone!

PS: I just find a bit strange no interaction of any Portuguese members. Maybe I am the type of person who worries a lot.

[Edited at 2020-04-17 14:13 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Mervyn Henderson

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
أسبانيا
عضو
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
Fish soup update Apr 17

Sorry, but I just had to bang my own drum. The Basques, who naturally had not been given any prior fish warning, were so pleasantly surprised with the result that granny and her battered old pots and pans and log-fired stove weren't even mentioned. Not even a half-raised eyebrow with the spiciness of it (I really went to town on the chilli-squashing). And thank God I decided at the last minute not to put in the angler fish, and keep it for cooking in garlic tomorrow, otherwise there might well h... See more
Sorry, but I just had to bang my own drum. The Basques, who naturally had not been given any prior fish warning, were so pleasantly surprised with the result that granny and her battered old pots and pans and log-fired stove weren't even mentioned. Not even a half-raised eyebrow with the spiciness of it (I really went to town on the chilli-squashing). And thank God I decided at the last minute not to put in the angler fish, and keep it for cooking in garlic tomorrow, otherwise there might well have been some humming and hawing and tut-tutting for using top-quality fish in a soup.

It's the little victories that count.
Collapse

Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
expressisverbis

IrinaN
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 09:03
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
On a side note Apr 17

On average, an adult panda forages 12 hours a day. This coincides with the time an average adult human spends on eating in quarantine. That's why we call it "Pandemic".

Kay Denney

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • البحث عن مصطلح
  • عروض العمل
  • منتديات
  • Multiple search