صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >
Corona quarantine diary
ناشر الموضوع: Mervyn Henderson

IrinaN
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 07:39
أنجليزي إلى روسي
+ ...
Some things are the same here now Mar 15

Yolande Hivart wrote:

I have heard that on some shops they have been running out of toilet paper for one week now. I was surprised to see that they were running out of fruits and vegetables too. People had been shopping so massively that one had to fight to get the last carrots or patatoes (and i am not talking about things like bananas, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, apples, pears...all gone).

So far, I have no problem going shopping anywhere and about to do so for cat food (forgot to include one essential variety in my online order), and a couple more usual things that should still be there but all that crazy shortage seems to be due to the scare of extended supply chain interruptions. We, the Western superpowers and powers, can no longer poop at will without China:-). Bring manufacturing back to USA!

There is another explanation to the TP madness:

When 1 sneezes, 10 around him c**p themselves:-)

Stay safe but positive. I'm catching a domestic plane next Sunday. Duty calls.

[Edited at 2020-03-15 14:36 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth

Liviu-Lee Roth
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 08:39
روماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Disaster in the USA! Mar 15

They CANCELLED all sports events! Oh my!
No more watching baseball players scratching their crotch;
No more hockey players knocking out their teeth;
No more basketball players with more tattoos than a mural;
No more soccer (football) player cursing all the time!

No reason to live any longer this boring life!

IrinaN
Joe France

Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
البرازيل
Local time: 09:39
عضو (2019)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
"Corona quarantine diary Mar 15

Here in Brazil National health service: Sistema Único de Saúde (SUS)created an app.
The Ministry of Health has developed an application that provides information about covid-19, the new coronavirus. The digital platform gathers official information and guidance on symptoms, indicating when it is necessary to go to hospitals.

The application has been available since Friday (13.mar2020) for free download on Android phones and Iphone (IOS). Through geolocation, it indicates t
... See more
Here in Brazil National health service: Sistema Único de Saúde (SUS)created an app.
The Ministry of Health has developed an application that provides information about covid-19, the new coronavirus. The digital platform gathers official information and guidance on symptoms, indicating when it is necessary to go to hospitals.

The application has been available since Friday (13.mar2020) for free download on Android phones and Iphone (IOS). Through geolocation, it indicates the health unit closest to the user.

But it is up to us to be aware of and Brazilian don't take it seriously. I wonder if they will ever take me seriously!
I'm doing my part.
Collapse

Francine Oliveira

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
هولندا
Local time: 14:39
عضو (2006)
أنجليزي إلى أفيقاني
+ ...
Dutch update Mar 15

Samuel Murray wrote:
The Dutch government (whom we trust and whose experts are obviously the best in the world) is taking a very laissez-faire approach to the pandemic and don't seem to think that it's overly serious.

Okay, today more drastic measures were announced: schools, gymnasiums and all restaurants and bars are shutting down until 6 April. Schools remain open for children whose parents do "essential" duties (e.g. doctors and nurses). The government and its experts are sticking to their story, however, that shutting down schools will have a negligible effect, but they caved under political pressure. We are still allowed to go out and do shopping etc., but schools and restaurants are now closed. The restaurant unions are very upset, also because they did not expect this sudden much stricter measure (not to mention, which government believes will have little impact).

Christel Zipfel  Identity Verified
عضو (2004)
إيطالي إلى ألماني
+ ...
Welcome back to the Little Translator in the curfewed version! Mar 15

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

Sunday 15 March:

Put my mask and gloves on and went out, see how far I’d get. When I saw the two policemen walking towards me, I looked all round me except in their direction, and whistled a couple of times:

“Here, boy! Here, boy!”

As they fell into my line of vision, I took the initiative when I saw that quizzical look:

“Oh, hello, officers, just walking the mutt. One of the things that Mr. Sánchez still lets us do. As you know, of course.”
[…]

Thank you so much for providing some light-heartedness, like you say, which we need so much in this situation, and please keep going on!
Best wishes to you and everyone.

Thomas Pfann
Alexandra Scott
Johanna Timm, PhD

Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 13:39
عضو (2012)
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
UK Mar 15

We have been asked to self-isolate if we have a cough or other symptoms of the virus.

We just took the dogs out for their evening walk and met an acquaintance with his dog. He informed us that he had a fever and felt dreadful, but wanted to get out in the fresh air for a bit. We moved on pretty quickly...

RobinB  Identity Verified
الولايات المتحدة
Local time: 07:39
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
Similar in the United States Mar 16

Yolande Hivart wrote:
I have heard that on some shops they have been running out of toilet paper for one week now. I was surprised to see that they were running out of fruits and vegetables too. People had been shopping so massively that one had to fight to get the last carrots or patatoes (and i am not talking about things like bananas, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, apples, pears...all gone).

I was in my local HEB supermarket here in Austin, Texas, this afternoon (one of the best supermarket chains, anywhere), and there were empty aisles where toilet paper, kitchen rolls, canned fruit and veg, prepacked bread, butter(!), eggs, fresh fruit juices, pasta and rice, canned soups and ramen are normally found. Little meat, either. Luckily I wasn't shopping for any of those products. There was still fresh bread, and absolutely no problem with fresh fruit and veg (which maybe says something about the typical diet here).

I think it's mainly a supply chain issue. It's not that there's a real shortage of any of those products, just that the suppliers can't keep up with this demand spike. Almost all the toilet paper and kitchen rolls sold in the US are manufactured in North America, for example, with only a small proportion of the bulk paper used to make the products being imported from Asia. And almost all basic foods are produced in North America

We had panic buying here a couple of weeks ago, and the shops restocked quite quickly after that, so it will probably be the same this time. And now they're rationing plenty of goods, which they couldn't do earlier for political reasons.

Liviu-Lee Roth
texjax DDS PhD

Fisher Deng
الصين
Local time: 20:39
عضو (2018)
أنجليزي إلى صيني
+ ...
Mask is helpful Mar 16

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Medical professionals seem to agree that masks don't help because they are designed to prevent germs from being blown out, not prevent them from coming in. When you breathe, a lot of air comes in around the edges unfiltered. They are designed for short-term use, but when people wear them all the time, they end up moist, which makes for a breeding ground for germs.

In China, everyone is equipped with masks and we're not allowed to enter any public places if no mask. High-standard masks are preferred, such as N95 and surgical masks, and people are educated to wear masks in an effective way, from the way of putting on and putting down to how often the masks should be replaced, which minimizes the unfiltered edges and risks of getting polluted. Facts proved it works! By far, many provinces in China have continued to achieve zero growth in new cases for days, and contribution of masks is without any doubt.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Dulz
Nicholas Stedman
Giuliana Buscaglione

Yolande Hivart
النمسا
عضو (2016)
ألماني إلى فرنسي
yes Mar 16

RobinB wrote:

I think it's mainly a supply chain issue. It's not that there's a real shortage of any of those products, just that the suppliers can't keep up with this demand spike. Almost all the toilet paper and kitchen rolls sold in the US are manufactured in North America, for example, with only a small proportion of the bulk paper used to make the products being imported from Asia. And almost all basic foods are produced in North America

Yes I think too, in our case the summer vegetable in winter comes much from Italy and Spain. On that particular supermarket, canned food was not much a problem, rather flour. There might had been some cooking grandmas around, pun aside.
Toilet paper is rather a fashion thing, even with hoarding things, you can not use more than you need (unless you misunderstand the purpose). Whoever buys 6 packages at once will leave the rest of the production to the others for quite a while.

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
عضو (2012)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Not exactly Mar 16

Fisher Deng wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

Medical professionals seem to agree that masks don't help because they are designed to prevent germs from being blown out, not prevent them from coming in. When you breathe, a lot of air comes in around the edges unfiltered. They are designed for short-term use, but when people wear them all the time, they end up moist, which makes for a breeding ground for germs.

In China, everyone is equipped with masks and we're not allowed to enter any public places if no mask. High-standard masks are preferred, such as N95 and surgical masks, and people are educated to wear masks in an effective way, from the way of putting on and putting down to how often the masks should be replaced, which minimizes the unfiltered edges and risks of getting polluted. Facts proved it works! By far, many provinces in China have continued to achieve zero growth in new cases for days, and contribution of masks is without any doubt.

A Chinese medical expert who has gone to Italy explained that a mask is only helpful as it prevents sneezing or coughing droplets from falling onto objects/people/surfaces but is actually a hindrance as people have to adjust it continually so they touch their faces more often. Touching one's face is not recommended as the virus passes through the nose, mouth and eyes.

Thomas T. Frost

Fisher Deng
الصين
Local time: 20:39
عضو (2018)
أنجليزي إلى صيني
+ ...
Give consideration to each other Mar 16

Josephine Cassar wrote:

Fisher Deng wrote:

Thomas T. Frost wrote:

A Chinese medical expert who has gone to Italy explained that a mask is only helpful as it prevents sneezing or coughing droplets from falling onto objects/people/surfaces but is actually a hindrance as people have to adjust it continually so they touch their faces more often. Touching one's face is not recommended as the virus passes through the nose, mouth and eyes.

Avoiding touching one's face is surely of great importance,but to prevent droplets can‘t be ignored as well. After all, coronaviruses are generally thought to be spread by respiratory droplets and contact(and fecal-oral transmission), people shouldn't merely pay attention to face touching and lose sight of droplets preventing. The thing we should focus on is how to effectively wear masks while also avoid touching face, which is hard enough even without masks.

Anthony Keily
عضو
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Face masks (again) Mar 16

Bear in mind that currently there are severe shortages of high-quality face masks and PPE in general in hospitals around Europe due to the demand from the general population. Face masks are essential for healthcare workers and symptomatic patients, while their usefulness for non-symptomatic individuals taking all other precautions is much more limited. (A number of public health authorities, including the Italian ISS, do not recommend use of face masks by the general population at this point).

Thomas T. Frost

Neptunia
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
a point-of-view from outside of Florence, Italy Mar 16

Here's my impression -
I've been watching the coronavirus news with alarm since mid-January and it felt like a tsunami coming that most people weren't paying attention to. Maybe I've just always been the type to be on the lookout for the apocalypse! It was a huge relief when they finally closed schools nationwide and then shut down pretty much everything else. I trust the government on this (strangely) and believe this is absolutely warranted and will be effective. (I am very afraid for t
... See more
Here's my impression -
I've been watching the coronavirus news with alarm since mid-January and it felt like a tsunami coming that most people weren't paying attention to. Maybe I've just always been the type to be on the lookout for the apocalypse! It was a huge relief when they finally closed schools nationwide and then shut down pretty much everything else. I trust the government on this (strangely) and believe this is absolutely warranted and will be effective. (I am very afraid for the disorganized and late response in my home country, the USA.) The first community transmission in Italy was noticed on Feb 20 - less than a month ago, and now as of March 16 we have 24,747 cases and 1809 deaths. That is more than 7% and that assumes everyone sick today will live, which clearly can't be. In fact, the survival rate for people put in ICU on respirators for other problems (pre-covid19) is 50% so by my estimation, the Italian fatality rate will be at least 10%. Tell me why my numbers are wrong please! I haven't heard anyone explain this except for vague suggestions that the population in Italy is older than South Korea, for example, where they have done an astonishingly good job of arresting the spread and saving lives. In China I'm afraid they only counted people who fit into the hospitals and the people who died at home were not part of the statistics.
Anyway, my daily life is almost normal. I am always at home anyway. Having the kiddies underfoot was really hard last week because I had a big job and was not counting on all the interruptions, but I got through it. The remote schoolwork has been a bit ridiculous. My 7-year old has a ton and will do anything to avoid it, squirming constantly, sticking things up his nose, dropping his pen, etc. Finally, I put an egg timer in front of him and it helped tremendously. Just the imaginary pressure of the ticking timer spurred him to work and what had taken him 5 hours the previous day took half an hour. Phew! I didn't have time last week to fully supervise my 3-year old who also has homework, if you can believe it. The nursery school is nuts. I did print out a couple of the coloring pages they sent and she set to work with enthusiasm. (Not that she doesn't have many other coloring books, but having her teacher send her an assignment had a certain novelty).
I went out only once last week, to the supermarket. I went early in the morning, expecting it to be empty, but it took about 45 mins just to get in the store as we had to line up outside and were constantly reminded to keep our distance. Lots of people were wearing masks. I juiced up some wipes at home with 91% isopropanol and wiped down the shopping cart and then wore the disposable plastic gloves they always have in the fruit and veggie area. There were no particular shortages (except they hadn't stocked the carrots yet) and I've been buying a little extra of whatever non-perishables we use for weeks now, so it wasn't a huge cartload. I didn't wear a mask though because it isn't mandatory and I believe it doesn't keep you safe. I do happen to have a couple of N95 FFP1 masks, an organic solvent respirator (won't help against viruses but looks scary!) and some surgical masks, but am not sure I will need to wear them. I don't think it is possible to buy masks anywhere!
Anyway, we are hanging in there. We watch for the new numbers every evening and my husband keeps a giant excel spreadsheet of the data. I think the Italian case peak is supposed to be at the end of this week. The new case growth in Italy looks linear, not exponential at this point. Hoping for the best. The economy will recover, but the dead people won't, so let's all stay home and stay safe!
Collapse

Sabrina Bruna
Maria Pia Giuseppina Nuzzolese
Liviu-Lee Roth
philgoddard

Andrew Morris
ProZ.com team
Not as funny as your diary, but... Mar 16

I found this a relatively sane and simple article.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51214864?fbclid=IwAR0yOOaHnI3TP-bqmDVORCuGTWQEX4Tr1egQrltBsfQTc12E3JTZU6h0eK8

So it seems most human immune systems will fight it off easily enough unless you have ...er...asthma or ...ahem, a heart condition.

... See more
I found this a relatively sane and simple article.

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-51214864?fbclid=IwAR0yOOaHnI3TP-bqmDVORCuGTWQEX4Tr1egQrltBsfQTc12E3JTZU6h0eK8

So it seems most human immune systems will fight it off easily enough unless you have ...er...asthma or ...ahem, a heart condition.

I'm on a one-man mission to exorcise the coronary (sic) virus.

My heart attack was exactly one month ago, making this the mensiverary.

I'm just happy to be alive, virus or no...
Collapse

philgoddard
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman

Maria Gray
أسبانيا
إسباني إلى أنجليزي
Solidarity from the window Mar 16

Firstly, Marvyn, I wanted to reply as I am also here in Bilbao, so sending moral support from the window!

I know this may not seem like much with what is going on but as Spain is now on lock-down across the country 2000 becomes an emotional moment. The campaign is for everyone to go to their balconies, windows or doors at 2000 and start clapping, to let those working to fight this virus know how much we appreciate them: hospital staff, vaccine researchers, supermarket cashiers, and
... See more
Firstly, Marvyn, I wanted to reply as I am also here in Bilbao, so sending moral support from the window!

I know this may not seem like much with what is going on but as Spain is now on lock-down across the country 2000 becomes an emotional moment. The campaign is for everyone to go to their balconies, windows or doors at 2000 and start clapping, to let those working to fight this virus know how much we appreciate them: hospital staff, vaccine researchers, supermarket cashiers, and many more of course.

When we're at home all day, looking out of the window and only occasionally see someone throwing out their rubbish or walking their dog, in streets that are usually so full of life; to look outside at 2000 and hear clapping and cheering all around and people's lights flashing on and off as far as the eye can see, all in a sign of solidarity, is something truly emotional.

We are in this together folks, and we'll beat it together.
Collapse

Josephine Cassar
philgoddard
expressisverbis
Kay Denney
Oksana Weiss

صفحات الموضوع:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

مشرفو هذا المنتدى
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • البحث عن مصطلح
  • عروض العمل
  • منتديات
  • Multiple search