Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
May 7, 2013

I thought I might mention something that I just now discovered after installing the new MS Office 2013:

Office 2013 comes with a new feature where you can open a PDF and convert it to a Word doc. I wasn't expecting much, to be honest, but I just tried it on a PDF I recently had to convert for a job, and guess what: the results are better than the one I did manually using ABBYY FineReader 11 (and way better than the original I received from my client!).

I'm sure there w
... See more
I thought I might mention something that I just now discovered after installing the new MS Office 2013:

Office 2013 comes with a new feature where you can open a PDF and convert it to a Word doc. I wasn't expecting much, to be honest, but I just tried it on a PDF I recently had to convert for a job, and guess what: the results are better than the one I did manually using ABBYY FineReader 11 (and way better than the original I received from my client!).

I'm sure there will be cases where ABBY will beat it, but it is a welcome addition to my arsenal.

I now have 3 good ways to convert a PDF:

1. ABBY FineReader 11 (my favourite)
2. Adobe Acrobat (very good for certain types of PDF!)
3. Office 2013 (new favourite)

Michael
Collapse

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:08
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
What sort of PDF? May 7, 2013

Michael Beijer wrote:

I just tried it on a PDF I recently had to convert for a job

Thanks for the heads up, Michael. Did you test an editable PDF or a scanned one?

Siegfried Armbruster
Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Only editable PDFs May 7, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

Did you test an editable PDF or a scanned one?

This works only with editable PDFs, see http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2013_release-word/unable-ot-convert-pdf-files-with-office-2013-word/eb9c5ccc-a19c-418d-9a74-039d0ab04fdc

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:08
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
editable May 7, 2013

Hi Emma,

It was indeed an editable PDF. However, it did a much better job than either ABBYY FineReader 11 or Actobat on this particular one, so it is definitely worth having around.

When converting PDFs I always try several programs, just in case one does a much better job than the others.

Michael

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Interesting May 8, 2013

Thanks for the clarification, Michael and Siegfried. It's an interesting new option, all the same.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TESTING the new Office 2013 PDF > .docx converter

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »