Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 13:06
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Oct 17, 2019

Recently I bought a new pc, and I have Windows 10 installed on it.
But I am sooo disappointed about the bad user interface. It's more complicated than it was. I need more clicks and mouse movements (mouse movements are annoying). The screen texts of the OS are simply awfull, as if the letters are printed on blotting paper.
And yes, I know you can customize it with Lettertype and Cleartype, but although I've run throught those tish screens, the improvement is not satisfactory.
N
... See more
Recently I bought a new pc, and I have Windows 10 installed on it.
But I am sooo disappointed about the bad user interface. It's more complicated than it was. I need more clicks and mouse movements (mouse movements are annoying). The screen texts of the OS are simply awfull, as if the letters are printed on blotting paper.
And yes, I know you can customize it with Lettertype and Cleartype, but although I've run throught those tish screens, the improvement is not satisfactory.
Not to mention the fact that it is completely horrible that you HAVE to use that system to have readable screen text.
Why did they do it that way?
The screen of my Windows XP pc is much more comfortable to read. That's a fact.
The sales person told me that it is because I'm not used to the new system. But that's rubbish. If I look very close to the screen, I see that the same letter is not always showing with the same thickness or clearity on the screen. A 't' can look different form the 't on the line just below it.
How to explain that?
The windows Explorer has never been very good in dealing with the screen text, but this time it's awfull.
Collapse

philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
It sounds like a problem with your display. Oct 18, 2019

Not the operating system.

Peter van der Hoek

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:06
Chinese to English
+ ...
. Oct 18, 2019

high DPI

Dan Lucas

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Not the display Oct 18, 2019

I use the same display for my Windows XP computer, and that combination works fine.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Peter Oct 18, 2019

Peter Motte wrote:
Recently I bought a new computer, and I have Windows 10 installed on it. The screen of my Windows XP computer is much more comfortable to read.

Did you upgrade from Windows XP straight to Windows 10? That's quite a jump. Yes, Windows 10 is awful, but you have no choice -- you're going to have to figure it all out. A lot of things that you could customise, you can no longer do. And some thing can be customised only if you use a third-party program.

As for the blurry text, yes, that's the trend. Also on web sites, blurry text is taking over. You can unblur the text, but then sometimes the text becomes very hard to read because the developers of these new fonts didn't think that any user would ever disable anti-aliasing. Oh, and Cleartype doesn't actually make the text less blurry -- it just changes the type of blurriness.

I recommend you search tenforums.com for your gripes.

The bad user interface ... is more complicated than it was.
I need more clicks and mouse movements.
The sales person told me that it is because I'm not used to the new system.

Yes. Well, I agree with the sales person: you'll just have to get used to it.

If I look very close to the screen, I see that the same letter is not always showing with the same thickness or clarity on the screen.

You may be seeing a new "mobile friendly" font being used on a non-mobile device.

[Edited at 2019-10-18 18:38 GMT]

Adam Warren
Adam Warren  Identity Verified
France
Member (2005)
French to English
Moving away from Windows to Open source Oct 18, 2019

The legitimate complaints about 'W10' comfort me in my unfolding move over to Linux. This is primarily motivated by my aversion to Microsoft's "spy in the cab" stance, which makes a simulacrum of the computer user's independence. I value the exchanges in this thread, which enlighten me as to the pitfalls besetting MS's latest release.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
XP and 10 interspersed with 7, and fashion trends in lettertypes Oct 18, 2019

Did you upgrade from Windows XP straight to Windows 10?

I had W7 in between, but my main pc is still XP. But I should have migrated my programs and all to W7, instead trying to go further with W10.

As for the blurry text, yes, that's the trend. Also on web sites, blurry text is taking over.

Yes, I had noticed that too. But it's not necessarily the websites themselves. The browers also tended to show text more blurry.
I really don't understand why they do that. It's no use for anybody.

You can unblur the text, but then sometimes the text becomes very hard to read because the developers of these new fonts didn't think that any user would ever disable anti-aliasing. Oh, and Cleartype doesn't actually make the text less blurry -- it just changes the type of blurriness.

Actually, I think it's some new fad, some new fashing thought up by lay-out boys who themselves don't actually use those things. I suspect (and hope) they will sooner or later be put aside and replaced by another fashion statement. It's high time somebody understands lots of people use computers as a tool, and not as a gaming or entertainment machine.

When it comes to entertainment, I'm actually evolving away from computers. I'm eveing beginning to do the same thing for news, and I'm starting to buy more paper news magazines again, something I hadn't done for years.

I recommend you search tenforums.com for your gripes.

I'll do.

You may be seeing a new "mobile friendly" font being used on a non-mobile device.

Mind you, the differenct thickness is not when I visit websites, it's when I look at the screens of the Wndows settings.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Linux Oct 18, 2019

IanDhu wrote:

The legitimate complaints about 'W10' comfort me in my unfolding move over to Linux. This is primarily motivated by my aversion to Microsoft's "spy in the cab" stance, which makes a simulacrum of the computer user's independence. I value the exchanges in this thread, which enlighten me as to the pitfalls besetting MS's latest release.

I worked a bit with Linux some years ago, using a dual boot Ubuntu/WMe.
The problem, however, was that I couldn't use all the programs and dicitonnaries to do my work.
The first problem I encountered was that my modem didn't work.
I don't think that problem still exists, however.

When it comes to safety, I don't really believe Linux is safer then MS, except that it's safety might be the result of having a smaller user base and therefore being less interesting for crooks.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
VM Oct 19, 2019

Peter Motte wrote:

I worked a bit with Linux some years ago, using a dual boot Ubuntu/WMe.
The problem, however, was that I couldn't use all the programs and dicitonnaries to do my work.

How about running them in a virtual machine, e.g. with Windows XP?

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 14:06
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Screen resolution? Oct 19, 2019

Perhaps you should try the different resolutions offered for your screen. There is nothing wrong with W10, even if I like 7 better. Does your pc come with 10 or did you change it to a new OS? You better use the computer as it comes out of the box. I use my new laptop W10 with a second monitor that is 10 years old and there is no problem.

Dan Lucas

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:06
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Has OP really tried everything? Oct 19, 2019

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
Perhaps you should try the different resolutions offered for your screen. There is nothing wrong with W10, even if I like 7 better.

Like Heinrich, I have used W10 with a variety of monitors, some more than a decade old. It works fine with all of them. W10 is, to my mind, as usable as W7, and more stable. Incidentally, I can't remember the last time Windows hung on me, and my PC is on at least 12 hours a day, every day.

Has the OP really tried everything? The fact that he was until recently still using a system with Windows XP (an OS that was launched 18 years ago, and for which mainstream support ended slightly over ten years ago) suggests that as a technology user he is extremely cautious and/or lacking in confidence. I'd suspect a lack of experimentation as a cause before I'd allocate the blame to W10, to be blunt.

Dan

John Fossey

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
GNU/Linux Oct 20, 2019

It is nice to see GNU/Linux being discussed in this context.

I’ve set up an online document discussing various tools - https://translateonlinux.org/ including some solutions to run some Windows-only applications.

If you use Gnome Shell (default Desktop Environment for Ubuntu and some other Linux distributions), there are various G
... See more
It is nice to see GNU/Linux being discussed in this context.

I’ve set up an online document discussing various tools - https://translateonlinux.org/ including some solutions to run some Windows-only applications.

If you use Gnome Shell (default Desktop Environment for Ubuntu and some other Linux distributions), there are various Gnome Extensions - https://extensions.gnome.org/ - that improve functionality/productivity, and additional settings available via the optional Gnome Tweaks application (generally not installed by default).
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Modern Windows versions include Linux Oct 21, 2019

Jean Dimitriadis wrote:

FWIW, for more than one year Windows 10 is able to run Linux - without fiddling with a virtual machine or a dual boot installation:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wsl/install-win10

Jean Dimitriadis

Steve Morgan
Steve Morgan
India
Windows 10 is one of the best Windows ever made by Microsoft Oct 30, 2019

Windows 10 has some problems but when you compared with the earlier versions it is one of the best windows we have. It is a powerful platform with great features and advancement.
Windows 10 has features like long battery life with good software and hardware combination which provide extraordinary performance to the users.

Peter Motte
Belgium
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Windows XP is often considered to be the best Nov 14, 2019

You can only say that W10 is good, if you didn't know the rest.

Anyway:
explain me way they think it's a good idea to give the columns in Windows Explorer different shades?
Why is the first column black, and the rest some kind of grey? What's the use of that?

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Windows 10

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »