Viviana Urbaneja (X)
Viviana Urbaneja (X)
Argentina
Local time: 09:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
Apr 1, 2019

Hi, everyone!

I’m writing here in the hopes of finding some help from you, especially from those who work in the wonderful world of videogames localization.

You see, I’ve been working as a translator for a year and a half and I specialize in art and culture, so a lot of my clients are museums and art galleries. However, this is a quite complicated field to work with when it comes to money, so I want to diversify and specialize in videogames localization as well (whi
... See more
Hi, everyone!

I’m writing here in the hopes of finding some help from you, especially from those who work in the wonderful world of videogames localization.

You see, I’ve been working as a translator for a year and a half and I specialize in art and culture, so a lot of my clients are museums and art galleries. However, this is a quite complicated field to work with when it comes to money, so I want to diversify and specialize in videogames localization as well (which is something I wanted to do for a long time). The thing is that I have zero experience with videogames translation, although I have worked with many creative texts in the past.

So, how can I start to specialize in videogames? Do you think a localization agency would be willing to send me a test despite my lack of experience with this field? Should I start contacting them right now?

Thanks in advance for your help!

[Edited at 2019-04-01 19:20 GMT]
Collapse

amanda229 (X)

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 20:42
Chinese to English
+ ...
Lack of experience Apr 2, 2019

If you are confident about the terminology and content, the point is not to say that you don't have experience in the field, but to not say that you have experience in it. Show it in your profile and show people why you know video games, and sooner or later the fish will bite.

Market rates are, shall we say, mediocre. But the demand is there.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Not the best offer Apr 2, 2019

While most games/apps require not translation, but (targeted) localization, considering one mostly has to deal blindly with incomplete/portions of data, game translation is somewhere between low rates for creative/literature translation and subtitles.

Jorge Payan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to get established in the videogames localization industry

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »