Thread poster: Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:46
Spanish to English
+ ...
Dec 23, 2019

Having become increasingly disillusioned with life in the UK, my husband and I (with our 1-year old son) are seriously considering a move abroad. Sweden is on the shortlist, because we have a few friends there and we believe it would be suitable for my husband's line of work (game programming).

I have also been looking at expat advice sites for general info.

However, I would appreciate advice specifically for a freelance translator, and the difficulties/benefits that su
... See more
Having become increasingly disillusioned with life in the UK, my husband and I (with our 1-year old son) are seriously considering a move abroad. Sweden is on the shortlist, because we have a few friends there and we believe it would be suitable for my husband's line of work (game programming).

However, I would appreciate advice specifically for a freelance translator, and the difficulties/benefits that such a move might pose. Is anyone able to encourage/discourage further investigation down this road...?!

[Edited at 2019-12-24 09:16 GMT]
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Time is short Dec 23, 2019

You need to do it within the next 12 months, whilst the UK is still technically in the EU (the "transition period").

[Edited at 2019-12-23 13:32 GMT]

Wendy Cummings
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Angie Garbarino
Josephine Cassar

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:46
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Have you considered Spain? Dec 23, 2019

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Having become increasingly disillusioned with life in the UK (need I explain why...), my husband and I (with our 1-year old son) are seriously considering a move abroad. Sweden is on the shortlist, because we have a few friends there and we believe it would be suitable for my husband's line of work (game programming).

However, I would appreciate advice specifically for a freelance translator, and the difficulties/benefits that such a move might pose. Is anyone able to encourage/discourage further investigation down this road...?!

I cannot speak for Sweden but I see you are translating from Spanish, have you considered Spain? Life is cheaper. health system is good, services are good, taxes are cheaper, there are really many Brits there, and while I don't know about programming, for you as a translator in your main pair, there is work also at a local level.

Just my 2 cents as an Italian expat in Spain.

Good luck!

[Edited at 2019-12-23 13:56 GMT]

Fatine Echenique

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Advice about what exactly? Dec 23, 2019

Plenty of well-paid work in Sweden for good translators from Swedish to English, but if you’re working from Spanish to English you might find Sweden a tad pricey...

I don’t know what your problem is with the UK, but remember there are big differences between different parts of the country, and Sweden isn’t without its problems... there’s a reason we don’t live there

I’d say the Danes are more
... See more
Plenty of well-paid work in Sweden for good translators from Swedish to English, but if you’re working from Spanish to English you might find Sweden a tad pricey...

I don’t know what your problem is with the UK, but remember there are big differences between different parts of the country, and Sweden isn’t without its problems... there’s a reason we don’t live there

I’d say the Danes are more welcoming of foreigners, at least in the big cities. But ultimately you’ll always be an outsider wherever you go.
Collapse

Dan Lucas
Christine Andersen

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The outsider Dec 24, 2019

Chris S wrote:

....ultimately you’ll always be an outsider wherever you go.

So true. I lived in Italy for more than 20 years, was perfectly fluent in Italian, took a university degree there and did everything else a person can do in 20 years but I was never, ever, accepted. I had to explain again and again where I was from, why I was there, etc. It really gets to you.

As for the Danes being welcoming of foreigners: that's if you're white.

[Edited at 2019-12-24 08:17 GMT]

Fatine Echenique
Dan Lucas
Christine Andersen

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman
Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:46
French to English
+ ...
Why? Dec 24, 2019

Wendy Cummings wrote:

Having become increasingly disillusioned with life in the UK (need I explain why...),

Why?

Because you disagree with the Brexit? Wasn't it a democratic decision of your democratically-elected government? What's so terrible about it? If so, how come it was passed?

How about your parents and other family and friends in the UK?

It sounds like a gut reaction to me ("I'll take my toys and go home") rather than a mature life decision.

Regards,
Sandra

Wendy Cummings
Wendy Cummings  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Respect for individual choices Dec 24, 2019

I do not wish to enter a discussion of our lifestyle choices. This is not a knee jerk or "childish" reaction; we have been discussing it (but not in detail) for years. Suffice to say, my husband and I are thinking of moving. The reason is of little import. I respect your choices, please respect mine and do not cast undue criticism.

Angie, Spain may well be an option, but I prefer to focus on one place at a time.

Chris, I am aware that every country has its issues, and
... See more
I do not wish to enter a discussion of our lifestyle choices. This is not a knee jerk or "childish" reaction; we have been discussing it (but not in detail) for years. Suffice to say, my husband and I are thinking of moving. The reason is of little import. I respect your choices, please respect mine and do not cast undue criticism.

Angie, Spain may well be an option, but I prefer to focus on one place at a time.

Chris, I am aware that every country has its issues, and I am by no means going into this with rose tinted glasses, hence the request for advice from others who may have experience.

Advice, for example, on how easy it is to register as a freelancer; the taxation; any regulatory issues I ought to be aware of ; opening a bank account ; receiving payments in foreign currency ; is Swedish society favourable to freelance workers...

Seasons greetings to all.
Collapse

Tom in London
Dan Lucas
Josephine Cassar
Philip Lees
IrinaN
Fiona Grace Peterson

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:46
English to Turkish
Australia? Dec 24, 2019

I'd have thought Australia would be the obvious choice for any Brit looking to move abroad... but then there is the issue of time difference.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
focus please Dec 24, 2019

Baran Keki wrote:

I'd have thought Australia would be the obvious choice for any Brit looking to move abroad... but then there is the issue of time difference.

Focus please, people. The only country being considered is Sweden.

Wendy Cummings
Nassima EL MEDJIRA
Rachel Waddington

Baran Keki
Baran Keki  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 20:46
English to Turkish
Sorry! Dec 24, 2019

Tom in London wrote:

Focus please, people. The only country being considered is Sweden.

I thought she said it was 'on the shortlist', not the only option. But, anyways, you're right

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Wendy Dec 24, 2019

If I were in your shoes, I would contact directly a few Swedish translators or even better some foreign translators living in Sweden with the same language pairs as you asking for their advice, check the directory https://www.proz.com/translator-directory/

All the best!

Teresa

Angie Garbarino

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Association? Dec 24, 2019

Teresa Borges wrote:
If I were in your shoes, I would contact directly a few Swedish translators or even better some foreign translators living in Sweden with the same language pairs as you

In addition, is there a translation association she could contact for information on the regulatory and legal situation?

The current uproar over AB5 in California (a potentially career-ending development for many) would make me want to be very sure that moves like that are not being considered in Sweden. Maybe an industry body would have a clearer view on such issues than individual freelancers?

Dan

[Edited at 2019-12-25 08:58 GMT]

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 13:46
English to Finnish
+ ...
Rinkeby, maybe? Dec 24, 2019

Rinkeby is a suburb of Stockholm. 89% of the population is first or second generation immigrants. You would fit right in.

Ph_B (X)
Ph_B (X)
France
French
+ ...
Swedish forum? Dec 24, 2019

Do you know there's a Swedish forum here: https://www.proz.com/forum/swedish-43.html ?

Could be useful.

Vera Schoen
Vera Schoen  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2008)
German to Swedish
+ ...
A useful link Dec 24, 2019

In Sweden Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency) manages civil registration of private individuals, so you might find this link helpful : https://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/otherlanguages/inenglish.4.12815e4f14a62bc048f4edc.html.

Most of the things you are asking about are explained on the website above.

I h
... See more
In Sweden Skatteverket (The Swedish Tax Agency) manages civil registration of private individuals, so you might find this link helpful : https://www.skatteverket.se/servicelankar/otherlanguages/inenglish.4.12815e4f14a62bc048f4edc.html.

Most of the things you are asking about are explained on the website above.

I have been working as a freelance translator in Sweden for 15 years and find our system works quite smoothly, and most things are managed through the Internet (bank, income tax return etc.).

Happy holidays!
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Considering a move to Sweden - seeking advice

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »