Thread poster: Lauren Ryan
Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 19:28
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Useful Jun 24, 2020

That was a very useful contribution. More please. I'm sure your post is exactly the kind of thing Lauren was asking for.

[Edited at 2020-06-24 16:59 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:28
Spanish to English
+ ...
Original poster - serious this time Jun 24, 2020

As for Lauren's original post, if you've no ties on the Wet Rock and the platform job is online, you know Limerick well enough by now, so I'd advise you to set up somewhere else, see the world beyond a year out from uni, preferably where one of your source languages is spoken.

Maybe you don't want to leave, so that's it. But translators can work from anywhere. I passed up the chance of continuing a lecturing job at Magee in Derry, and right now I could have been flaffing around as
... See more
As for Lauren's original post, if you've no ties on the Wet Rock and the platform job is online, you know Limerick well enough by now, so I'd advise you to set up somewhere else, see the world beyond a year out from uni, preferably where one of your source languages is spoken.

Maybe you don't want to leave, so that's it. But translators can work from anywhere. I passed up the chance of continuing a lecturing job at Magee in Derry, and right now I could have been flaffing around as a professor with a three-piece suit, a hat and a smelly pipe, but I chucked it in because I didn't want to spend my whole life there. Regrets? I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention. I'd probably have shot myself outside the Bogside Inn by now.

[Edited at 2020-06-24 17:05 GMT]

[Edited at 2020-06-24 18:04 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Useful posts Jun 24, 2020

No sooner said ... than done!

[Edited at 2020-06-24 17:04 GMT]

Christopher Schröder

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Lack of in-house translator jobs in Ireland Jan 22, 2021

Coming from Ireland like Lauren does, I'm always deeply disappointed at the lack of in-house translator positions there. Worse still, the fraudsters that run the language degrees there don't even tell you this. I had to move to Germany to find an in-house job. Nothing wrong with Germany of course but it's not really home for me and probably never will be.

Adieu
Adieu  Identity Verified
Ukrainian to English
+ ...
Salaried in-house is rare Jan 23, 2021

"Dedicated contractor" (freelancer who works for them on a near-daily basis) is far more common.

Nobody wants to pay a newbie a lot for not necessarily doing much on a daily basis... and if you don't pay much, then that person won't agree to do much work or stay late on the days when they do have a bunch of stuff, which makes the whole exercise rather pointless. Easier to hire 3 people on rush days and pay nobody when there isn't any work.

Contractor relationships thus
... See more
"Dedicated contractor" (freelancer who works for them on a near-daily basis) is far more common.

Nobody wants to pay a newbie a lot for not necessarily doing much on a daily basis... and if you don't pay much, then that person won't agree to do much work or stay late on the days when they do have a bunch of stuff, which makes the whole exercise rather pointless. Easier to hire 3 people on rush days and pay nobody when there isn't any work.

Contractor relationships thus make more sense for both sides.

[Edited at 2021-01-23 08:59 GMT]
Collapse

Kevin Fulton
Jorge Payan

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Make it so Jan 23, 2021

Gerard Barry wrote:

Coming from Ireland like Lauren does, I'm always deeply disappointed at the lack of in-house translator positions there. Worse still, the fraudsters that run the language degrees there don't even tell you this. I had to move to Germany to find an in-house job. Nothing wrong with Germany of course but it's not really home for me and probably never will be.

Why not start your own translation business and hire some then? I took on my first in-house translator two years after leaving university, and another one a year later.

Dan Lucas

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
Good point Jan 24, 2021

Chris S wrote:

Gerard Barry wrote:

Why not start your own translation business and hire some then? I took on my first in-house translator two years after leaving university, and another one a year later.

Good point. I'm in a sort of difficult position: although I complain about my job a lot, the pay is good, which makes it hard to just get up and leave.

Christopher Schröder

Gerard Barry
Gerard Barry
Germany
German to English
In-house translation jobs often don't make sense Jan 24, 2021

Adieu wrote:

Contractor relationships thus make more sense for both sides.

[Edited at 2021-01-23 08:59 GMT]

I agree. In-house translator jobs don't make sense in my opinion for an employer. Whether the translator is a "newbie" (a word I intensely dislike, I have to say) or not is largely irrelevant in my view. In my current job, there are often days on end where I literally translate nothing. Although I try to look on the bright side (I'm getting paid!), it's extremely enervating. Worse still, my boss will often give me (sometimes pointless) tasks I might rather not do (such as an alignment in Across) to "pass the time", as if I'm a child who has to be kept busy at all times. Sometimes I feel like telling her straight: "We're overstaffed. When there's nothing to do, there's nothing to do, just leave me in peace!"

Adieu
Kimia Etemadi

Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:28
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Crisis in Brazil Sep 25, 2021

I am also considering inhouse translation jobs (or at least fixed jobs, even if they are home-office based) due to the crisis in Brazil. If anyone could inform how I could get a well-paid fixed translation assignment (be it home-office or at client premises) please inform here. I live in a midsized town where there is some industry but no translation agencies.

Matthias Brombach
Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2007)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Even Volkswagen ... Sep 26, 2021

... doesn't employ inhouse-translators (correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my experience so far, when contacted for Volkswagen translation jobs): They employ only a handful of (well paid) translation and documentation managers in their headquarter in Germany, who are busy only with managing their documentation work, i.e. by outsourcing their necessary translations from any foreign language into German to agencies abroad (i.e. in Romania). They in return of course try to place these job... See more
... doesn't employ inhouse-translators (correct me if I'm wrong, but that was my experience so far, when contacted for Volkswagen translation jobs): They employ only a handful of (well paid) translation and documentation managers in their headquarter in Germany, who are busy only with managing their documentation work, i.e. by outsourcing their necessary translations from any foreign language into German to agencies abroad (i.e. in Romania). They in return of course try to place these jobs at the lowest possible price.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-09-26 09:35 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
expressisverbis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting in-house translator jobs

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »