Thread poster: Caroluc
Caroluc
Caroluc
Italy
Local time: 22:45
English to Italian
Sep 6, 2020

Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a new super portable laptop, but I don't wanna (=I can't, sigh) spend too much. I saw that the new Surface GO2 8/128 has this new Intel CPU M3 8100Y, and it's the same asset of the new Chuwi Aerobook (which is extreeeeemely affordable! Like 360 € on Ebay)!
Has anyone tried this configuration with Trados Studio 2019? That software is a real tank and I'm not sure about the power of the new M3 CPU (even if the benchmark score is just slightly
... See more
Hi everyone!

I'm thinking of buying a new super portable laptop, but I don't wanna (=I can't, sigh) spend too much. I saw that the new Surface GO2 8/128 has this new Intel CPU M3 8100Y, and it's the same asset of the new Chuwi Aerobook (which is extreeeeemely affordable! Like 360 € on Ebay)!
Has anyone tried this configuration with Trados Studio 2019? That software is a real tank and I'm not sure about the power of the new M3 CPU (even if the benchmark score is just slightly inferior to the one of my current laptop CPU, which is a I7-6500U)...
Even if it's not expensive, I don't want to waste 360 €.
Any thoughts?

Thank you for your attention~
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 05:45
Chinese to English
+ ...
Fine, probably Sep 6, 2020

I expect it'll be able to run adequately, but acceptability is subjective.

If portability is not the No.1 concern and you're able to stretch the budget a couple of hundred Euros, there are much more powerful options in the 500-600 Euro range. But if you're stuck at that budget, the Aerobook should be fine.

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:45
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
i3 proving surprisingly competent Sep 6, 2020

Caroluc wrote:
Has anyone tried this configuration with Trados Studio 2019? That software is a real tank and I'm not sure about the power of the new M3 CPU (even if the benchmark score is just slightly inferior to the one of my current laptop CPU, which is a I7-6500U)...

We have a first-generation Surface Go here and it is fine for Microsoft Office. I haven't tried (I don't think) installing Studio on it.

Due to a problem that emerged recently with my i7-based Surface Pro, I'm running a mini desktop with an i3 6100, partly as an experiment. I'm surprised to find that so far (after a couple of weeks) the desktop is perfectly adequate. I don't notice it being any slower than the Surface, which is supposedly much faster.

In theory the M3 8100 is as fast or a bit faster than the i3 6100 (see here for comparison benchmarks). However, I suspect my Surface Pro uses thermal throttling, which is a technique whereby a device reduces the speed of its own CPU to prevent excessive heat building up within the case. This is particularly a problem with notebooks and laptops, and this new desktop probably doesn't have any such issues. That might explain why it generally feels as sprightly as the i7 Surface Pro.

So, I would say that in terms of raw horsepower the Go2 could do it, but one question is how much throttling of the CPU is done, if any. I don't think there's any way to find out other than by trying it for real.

Regards,
Dan

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

CPU M3 8100Y and Trados Studio 2019

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »