Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:17
German to English
exclude the alternative phrase Dec 13, 2016

Rolf Keller wrote:

Alternative method 1: "even and odd numbers" -"odd and even numbers"

Did you try this? It ought to give you exactly the results you want. It does on my computer.

The only thing that is tricky when entering this into the advanced search window is to remember to insert the quotation marks in the "contains none of these words" box. Otherwise you will get zero hits.

Admittedly, this can be a time-consuming workaround when a whole series of similar phrases needs to be excluded. It also only helps with one particular group of searches, but Google does work for searches that fit the pattern of the example in the original post.

And the number of hits that Google lists (particularly the initial number before you click on a later page of results) has never been remotely accurate or particularly useful.

Theodoros Karyotis
Theodoros Karyotis
Greece
Local time: 11:17
English to Greek
+ ...
this trick may be useful sometimes but it doesn't solve the issue Dec 13, 2016

Michael Wetzel wrote:

Rolf Keller wrote:

Alternative method 1: "even and odd numbers" -"odd and even numbers"

Did you try this? It ought to give you exactly the results you want. It does on my computer.

Thanks for the proposal, Michael, but most of the times I use exact phrase search I do not simply want to decide between two alternative phrases, but rather to verify how many times, and in what context, a particular phrase is used on the web.

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
I think the workaround should allow you to do that Dec 13, 2016

The point of the workaround is to put us in the position to analyze the relevancy and quality of the "genuine" matches that it allows us to isolate. I think it is genuinely helpful in many cases (although I agree that it is useless in many others).

You can use it to test alternative phrasing, but it is just as good for eliminating false hits (just like when there are a massive number of hits from a book title or another field that need to be excluded to gain information about what w
... See more
The point of the workaround is to put us in the position to analyze the relevancy and quality of the "genuine" matches that it allows us to isolate. I think it is genuinely helpful in many cases (although I agree that it is useless in many others).

You can use it to test alternative phrasing, but it is just as good for eliminating false hits (just like when there are a massive number of hits from a book title or another field that need to be excluded to gain information about what we are actually looking for).
Collapse

Theodoros Karyotis
Theodoros Karyotis
Greece
Local time: 11:17
English to Greek
+ ...
It seems fixed - for the moment Dec 16, 2016

Google appears to have fixed the issue after many frustrated translators stormed the Google Forums.
Some may see it as an omen of what can happen if we entrust great parts of our personal and professional lives to just one company. Others may not.

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
The paying clients of search engine providers are advertizers, not translators Dec 16, 2016

Theodoros Karyotis wrote:

Google appears to have fixed the issue after many frustrated translators stormed the Google Forums.

"After", but not "because".

From Googles point of view, translators are fare dodgers only. In the long term Google wants Google Translate to be used anywhere.

Renaud Poulin
Renaud Poulin  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 05:17
English to French
New tool just added in google "word-for-word" Dec 18, 2016

Hi, I have just found a new feature in google tools: search for all results or "word-for-word". We got it! We can get exact phrases results now. Check it and let me know if it works from for end.

Lianne van de Ven
Lianne van de Ven  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:17
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Verbatim Dec 18, 2016

Renaud Poulin wrote:

Hi, I have just found a new feature in google tools: search for all results or "word-for-word". We got it! We can get exact phrases results now. Check it and let me know if it works from for end.

Hello Renaud,

What you call "word-for-word" is called "verbatim" in English under the tools menu. It's either "all results" or "verbatim" and it is actually not a new feature. OP noted in the first post that "verbatim" was not working.
Yinnyan made additional and useful comments about the "verbatim" (or word-for-word) option.

From my perspective here, exact Google search using quotation marks was not perfoming as usual for a brief period, but it is now back to normal.

To see the hit count for the search results, you need to toggle the "tools" button that will either show the count or additional search options

[Edited at 2016-12-18 14:07 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

forcing exact phrase in search engine

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »