Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 07:00
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
theology is jolly interesting but rather a self-contradiction May 15, 2020

MollyRose wrote:

It is a shame that there are so many people that say and do crazy things, supposedly in the name of the Lord, and claim to have the truth. It is even worse when they broadcast it and hurt other people.

If you do happen to come across anyone who speaks sincerely in the name of the Lord, then I'd be delighted to meet up with him over a few beers. After much soul-searching, it still truly beats me how one can associate the word "truth" with a theistic religion, or claim to have established a one-to-one relationship with a mystical being outside oneself. I've tried, believe me, but I've come down on the side of thinkers such as Christopher Hitchens, who I imagine is anathema to someone like you... Perhaps you have discovered something that I never will...

MollyRose wrote:

Everybody has the right to know the truth, and how can they know unless they hear or read? Everybody has the right to accept or reject whatever is presented before them; we all have a free will. There are a lot of lies and junk out there, but there is also goodness and truth. Just because somebody or some "religion" says God is a certain way doesn't mean anything, but only what He says about Himself. If one reads the New Testament, starting with Matthew, with a sincere heart asking God to reveal truth, one will find that a lot of "religion" has nothing to do with the real God. God is not in the punishing business, but He did create us to function a certain way, just as auto makers create cars to function with gasoline, oil, water, etc. and to be driven safely and not crashed into things. "What one reaps, one sows" can be said another way: cause and effect.

One can learn About someone by seeing how others who Know him imitate that person and how their lives are affected. But if they want to Know that person, they must spend time with him, listening to what he says and seeing how he acts--not through critical third parties. It is our choice to pay attention or ignore the person.

In respect for the ProZ rules, I have kept this short and used generalizations. I also, truly, am not posting to offend anyone, but to give hope. Just as we all have to respond to the news or anything else around us, one can take this to heart if one so chooses, or you can just forget it and continue the way you have been going. I am not trying to change anybody--I couldn't if I tried; I am simply offering another point of view.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Religious bigotry taking over Google?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »