Thread poster: DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST
DIANNE BEREST  Identity Verified
Montenegro
Local time: 12:02
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 2, 2019

Hello all. I'm applying for an OPI opportunity and the company has asked for a 30 second voice sample - 15 seconds in English and 15 seconds in Spanish. I've only done this once before, simply recording my voice on my laptop and sending the file. Just wondering if there are better or usual ways this is done? Thanks for any suggestions!

Jan Rausch
Jan Rausch  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Audacity Oct 2, 2019

Very good free software.

https://www.audacityteam.org/

DZiW (X)
Luximar Arenas Petty
Daryo
Colette Magalowski
Alice Crisan

DIANNE BEREST
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 2, 2019

Thanks Jan!

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:02
Serbian to English
+ ...
You will also need a good mike Oct 2, 2019

if you want to make a good recording you will need good quality headphones and a good microphone.

The mike in the laptop could and often will pick up all sort of noise - from the cooling fan, the hard disk, the keyboard typing, even sounds transmitted from the desk! That might be good enough for online chat, but it surely won't make for an impressive "sample" presented by a voice-over artist!

You will need at least a mid-range / semi-professional combinat
... See more
if you want to make a good recording you will need good quality headphones and a good microphone.

The mike in the laptop could and often will pick up all sort of noise - from the cooling fan, the hard disk, the keyboard typing, even sounds transmitted from the desk! That might be good enough for online chat, but it surely won't make for an impressive "sample" presented by a voice-over artist!

You will need at least a mid-range / semi-professional combination of earphones (to check the quality of the recording - forget using silly laptop speakers for that) with an attached microphone (that will pick up ONLY your voice)

I have no idea what's available where you live - so there's no point recommending you my personal preferences; best pick the brain of a good sound engineer near you.

the software is very usefull https://www.audacityteam.org/ but without a good mike / earphones the result will not impress anyone.

(same as you wouldn't build a portfolio as photographer with an idiomatic camera)

[Edited at 2019-10-02 20:42 GMT]
Collapse

DIANNE BEREST
Montenegro
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great info Oct 3, 2019

Thanks Daryo. It's not voice-over, just over-the-phone interpreting, but thinking about getting into viice-over so this information is very useful. Thanks very much!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to record voice sample

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »