Thread poster: Jason Raff
Jason Raff
Jason Raff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nov 6, 2019

What are your experiences in assembling equipment components for conference interpreting?

Specifically, my organization has a portable "tour-guide" type interpreting system with locked-channel FM transmitters and receivers, which we frequently use for small committee conferences.

We would like to adapt this system for use in a conference setting by adding long-range FM transmitters and interpreter consoles for each of our output languages. It is difficult to assess cros
... See more
What are your experiences in assembling equipment components for conference interpreting?

Specifically, my organization has a portable "tour-guide" type interpreting system with locked-channel FM transmitters and receivers, which we frequently use for small committee conferences.

We would like to adapt this system for use in a conference setting by adding long-range FM transmitters and interpreter consoles for each of our output languages. It is difficult to assess cross-brand compatibility from product descriptions online.

Can any FM transmitter be configured to broadcast to the appropriate channel frequency on a set of locked-channel receivers?
Do the receivers find the frequency automatically based on a channel designation?
Is it possible to combine, say, a Williams Sound interpreter console with an Enersound FM transmitter and Retekess T131 receivers?

I'm trying not to drop tens of thousands of dollars on a completely new comprehensive system if we can adapt what we already have...
Collapse

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:35
French to English
My experience Nov 7, 2019

In my experience, this type of extra equipment can be hired from a business that specializes in this type of service. They will also provide advice. In fact, when I am called for interpreting jobs, the client supplies the necessary equipment and the techies to go with it.

[Edited at 2019-11-07 13:34 GMT]

Jason Raff
Jason Raff  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:35
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Mixing brands for conference interpreting equipment Nov 11, 2019

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:

In my experience, this type of extra equipment can be hired from a business that specializes in this type of service. They will also provide advice. In fact, when I am called for interpreting jobs, the client supplies the necessary equipment and the techies to go with it.

[Edited at 2019-11-07 13:34 GMT]

Thanks Nikki. I work for an organization that holds multiple multilingual conference events throughout the year. Renting is not cost-effective for us, so we are trying to assemble our own suite of equipment.

Our interpreting staff likes the Retekess T-130 and T-131 "tour guide" system, and my experience with these has been good, too. However, I want to be able to adapt the receivers to an appropriate long-range transmitter and interpreter console.

terpy
terpy
United States
How did it go and how are the Retekess T131s holding up? Nov 11, 2021

Hi, Jason. How is the Retekess holding up years later? I've been looking at these for stand-alone use and combined with established brands and am skeptical for various reasons including range and long-term battery life, but enthused about their portability and charging bays--they seem great for easy maintenance. If you'd like to share your experience I would be delighted to hear it. Thank you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Mixing brands for conference interpreting equipment

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »