Thread poster: Sabine König
Sabine König
Sabine König  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:23
Member (2012)
German to French
Jul 20, 2020

Hello everybody,
One of my clients is asking me if it is possible to interprete a meeting using Teams. She suggestes creating two separate sessions.
Has anybody an experience to share in that field of experience?
I know that with Zoom you can integrate an interpreter. But I have no idea for Teams.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Sabine

Muna khleifat

Jan Rausch
Jan Rausch  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sort of Jul 20, 2020

Hi,

You're right, MS Teams has no integrated interpretation feature like Zoom. But if interpreting is only required in one direction, i.e. for passive listeners in a separate meeting only, then it works. You need two meetings, one with the active event that the interpreters listen to (ensuring they mute themselves) and a second one interpreters speak into. That is the meeting those who need interpretation listen to. They need to absolutely mute themselves as well, otherwise things g
... See more
Hi,

You're right, MS Teams has no integrated interpretation feature like Zoom. But if interpreting is only required in one direction, i.e. for passive listeners in a separate meeting only, then it works. You need two meetings, one with the active event that the interpreters listen to (ensuring they mute themselves) and a second one interpreters speak into. That is the meeting those who need interpretation listen to. They need to absolutely mute themselves as well, otherwise things get messy.

Hope this helps.

Jan
Collapse

David Lin
Andre Dumoulin
Franco Rigoni

Sabine König
Member (2012)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Jul 20, 2020

Thank you Jan

Franco Rigoni
Franco Rigoni  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Very interesting Jul 23, 2020

Very interesting, thank you!

Andre Dumoulin

Yi Wang
Yi Wang
Australia
Local time: 21:23
Pros and cons of interpreting with teams Jul 24, 2020

Pros: If one of the team members comes across problems, other members can help to solve it immediately in a very professional way. Also, if the meeting or activity lasts for a long time, team members can take turns to have a rest and better focus on his or her role of interpreting.
Cons: Different team members may have different interpretation and understanding of some professional terms and proper nouns, thus they may interpreting in an inconsistent way which may bring confusion to the li
... See more
Pros: If one of the team members comes across problems, other members can help to solve it immediately in a very professional way. Also, if the meeting or activity lasts for a long time, team members can take turns to have a rest and better focus on his or her role of interpreting.
Cons: Different team members may have different interpretation and understanding of some professional terms and proper nouns, thus they may interpreting in an inconsistent way which may bring confusion to the listeners.
Collapse

Sabine König
Member (2012)
German to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comment Jul 29, 2020

Yi Wang wrote:

Cons: Different team members may have different interpretation and understanding of some professional terms and proper nouns, thus they may interpreting in an inconsistent way which may bring confusion to the listeners.

You are absolutely right.
Maybe I should have written in the title of the topic "Interpreting with Microsoft Teams" to make it clear. Sorry for that.

MollyRose
MollyRose  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
How? Jul 31, 2020

How do you do that? Have the active session open with your headset to listen and mic muted. But how do you have the second session open at the same time--speaking into #2 while listening to #1 at the same time? Can this all be done on one computer?

This would be good to know. A couple months ago we had a situation where the interpreter listened to a Teams meeting on one computer and interpreted in Skype for Business for the target language on another computer. It was complicated.
... See more
How do you do that? Have the active session open with your headset to listen and mic muted. But how do you have the second session open at the same time--speaking into #2 while listening to #1 at the same time? Can this all be done on one computer?

This would be good to know. A couple months ago we had a situation where the interpreter listened to a Teams meeting on one computer and interpreted in Skype for Business for the target language on another computer. It was complicated. They had to use a separate mic for interpreting--not the headset they were using to listen.
Collapse

Chao Sun
Chao Sun
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
Zoom & Microsoft Teams Nov 12, 2020

Hi,

As far as I know, these two systems are quite similar, everyone can see each other and hear each other at the same time as long as they are not muted by the host. I think both of the systems will work well for any meeting interpreting.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interpreting with Teams

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »