Kudoz: Let's keep all the suggestions!
ناشر الموضوع: Joakim Braun

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
السويد
Local time: 15:56
ألماني إلى سويدي
+ ...
Jul 29

A lot of Kudoz suggestions seem to contain the first search hit the poster came across. Sometimes it's quite out of context, or the reference link is machine-translated nonsense (immediately obvious after reading a few sentences, which the poster can't be bothered to do).

When this is noted in the comments, the Kudoz suggestion is quickly deleted.

I think it should not be possible to remove proposed translations from Kudoz. Let's leave all our contributions (good and ba
... See more
A lot of Kudoz suggestions seem to contain the first search hit the poster came across. Sometimes it's quite out of context, or the reference link is machine-translated nonsense (immediately obvious after reading a few sentences, which the poster can't be bothered to do).

When this is noted in the comments, the Kudoz suggestion is quickly deleted.

I think it should not be possible to remove proposed translations from Kudoz. Let's leave all our contributions (good and bad!) out there for all to see! It's actually an excellent quality indicator for translators.

Or perhaps deleting a proposed translation should result in negative Kudoz points, to encourage higher quality?

(Yes, it's perfectly possible, and respectable, to be wrong. But in that case, let's acknowledge it in the comments - or perhaps the poster could flag an erroneous entry in some way. BTW I find that the bad entries usually have a high conficence level, which is often not the case with serious suggestions.)
Collapse


Chris S
Cilian O'Tuama
ahartje
Philippe Etienne
neilmac
Josephine Cassar
P.L.F.Persio
 

Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
هونغ كونغ
Local time: 21:56
عضو
صيني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
. Jul 29

Bathwater, meet baby.

Jessica Noyes
Yolanda Broad
Jean Dimitriadis
neilmac
 

Chris S  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
سويدي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Agree Jul 29

I wouldn’t be averse to shining an eternal spotlight on those constantly firing out idiotic suggestions.

It’s misrepresenting their abilities and misleading clients if only their correct answers stay up.


Cilian O'Tuama
B D Finch
Yolanda Broad
Teresa Borges
neilmac
 

Cilian O'Tuama  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
ألماني إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
This suggestion was made a mere 14 years ago... Jul 29

..., by me, as it happens, in the 'weeding out the rubbish' discussion.

The discussion (which was constructive IMO) got a wee bit heated at times, so Henry himself intervened, deleted some postings and locked the thread.

If anyone is interested, it's here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/52678-the_disagr
... See more
..., by me, as it happens, in the 'weeding out the rubbish' discussion.

The discussion (which was constructive IMO) got a wee bit heated at times, so Henry himself intervened, deleted some postings and locked the thread.

If anyone is interested, it's here:

https://www.proz.com/forum/kudoz/52678-the_disagree_drive_aka_weeding_out_the_rubbish-page5.html

(By the way, this discussion was inspired by another rather lengthy but entertaining thread, "should 'rubbish' help be appreciated", which can be found here: https://tinyurl.com/y2hdjy3p )
Collapse


 

Chris S  Identity Verified
المملكة المتحدة
سويدي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Points per answer Jul 30

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
The discussion (which was constructive IMO) got a wee bit heated at times, so Henry himself intervened, deleted some postings and locked the thread.

Ah, the days before FB took over. Thin skins around here in those days; they wouldn’t cope now

Not that keeping stupid answers in the public domain will necessarily help weed out the losers, because only peers (us) will actually see them, and let’s face it we already know who the jokers are.

In my pairs there is a translator who posts up the literal translation of every compound noun. Sometimes, by the law of averages, he is right and gets the points. Over the years, he has amassed a shedload of points this way and is high up the rankings in searches. That’s all clients will see, which isn’t right, is it?

Perhaps rankings should also be weighted by average points per answer?


neilmac
Christine Andersen
 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
عضو (2012)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
No Jul 30

Chris S wrote:

Cilian O'Tuama wrote:
The discussion (which was constructive IMO) got a wee bit heated at times, so Henry himself intervened, deleted some postings and locked the thread.

Ah, the days before FB took over. Thin skins around here in those days; they wouldn’t cope now

Not that keeping stupid answers in the public domain will necessarily help weed out the losers, because only peers (us) will actually see them, and let’s face it we already know who the jokers are.

In my pairs there is a translator who posts up the literal translation of every compound noun. Sometimes, by the law of averages, he is right and gets the points. Over the years, he has amassed a shedload of points this way and is high up the rankings in searches. That’s all clients will see, which isn’t right, is it?

Perhaps rankings should also be weighted by average points per answer?

But also the way people reason and interact even when posting an answer/Agree/Disagree/Neutral and reason supplied plus any research you've done and links to support your argument.

[Edited at 2020-07-30 09:50 GMT]


Christine Andersen
 

Tom in London
المملكة المتحدة
Local time: 14:56
عضو (2008)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
Yes Jul 30

Yes- let's keep all the suggestions! They're good for a laugh especially when the asker chooses the wrong one and it ends up being used in the translation.

Chris S
Josephine Cassar
Jennifer Caisley
Teresa Borges
Recep Kurt
 

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman  Identity Verified
إسرائيل
Local time: 16:56
عضو (2009)
فرنسي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
No Jul 30

Chris S wrote:

... keeping stupid answers in the public domain...


Sometimes, people give a wrong answer or even post answers in the wrong language pair. So what?

Carving every mistake in stone, for ever and always, to the answerer's eternal shame is cruel and counterproductive. Who needs to wade through the wrong answers, anyway?

To say nothing of the fact that Kudoz answers should be fun and not a way to castigate the occasional blunder.

So, I did not read the context carefully and I gave a wrong answer. So what? Why can't I change my mind? Or hide the stupid answer from my peers?

Sandra


 

Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:56
عضو (2012)
إيطالي إلى أنجليزي
+ ...
Or Jul 30

Tom in London wrote:

Yes- let's keep all the suggestions! They're good for a laugh especially when the asker chooses the wrong one and it ends up being used in the translation.

Or it ends up in the glossary!


Teresa Borges
 

Joakim Braun  Identity Verified
السويد
Local time: 15:56
ألماني إلى سويدي
+ ...
بادئ الموضوع
But Jul 30

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:

Sometimes, people give a wrong answer or even post answers in the wrong language pair. So what?


Exactly. No big deal leaving them up.

Sandra & Kenneth Grossman wrote:
Carving every mistake in stone, for ever and always, to the answerer's eternal shame is cruel and counterproductive.


Zero shame in an honest mistake. Especially if posted with a mid/low confidence level.
Random guesswork without knowledge or research belongs in the "Discussion" section of the query.

I've contributed and deleted a few stupid suggestions myself.
Would it embarrass me if they were left up? Sure...
...But as with the vast majority of posters, the ratio of the stupid to the defensible would still be OK.


Philippe Etienne
 

Teresa Borges
البرتغال
Local time: 14:56
عضو (2007)
أنجليزي إلى برتغالي
+ ...
Yes Jul 31

I’m sure I have given a few wrong answers over the years. I always try my best to give a good answer but we all know that translation is not an exact science and things happen. As far as I remember I’ve deleted my answer a few times, not because it was wrong, but because the asker was rude to me and I refuse to help rude people. My ‘disagrees’ usually go to those ‘comet translators’ (they tend to disappear from the ‘sky’ as fast as they appeared) who translate X² languages (I be... See more
I’m sure I have given a few wrong answers over the years. I always try my best to give a good answer but we all know that translation is not an exact science and things happen. As far as I remember I’ve deleted my answer a few times, not because it was wrong, but because the asker was rude to me and I refuse to help rude people. My ‘disagrees’ usually go to those ‘comet translators’ (they tend to disappear from the ‘sky’ as fast as they appeared) who translate X² languages (I believe the maximum amount I’ve seen is 2,200 language pairs) and answer by running the questions through GT.

Kudoz is also a pretty good reflection of who a person is and how she behaves…

[Edited at 2020-07-31 15:11 GMT]
Collapse


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kudoz: Let's keep all the suggestions!

Advanced search






PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • البحث عن مصطلح
  • عروض العمل
  • منتديات
  • Multiple search