Julia Boerlin
Julia Boerlin  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 17:32
German to Greek
+ ...
Jun 14, 2009

Hello everybody,
I usually work with Wordfast 6.0 professional (the standalone version in Java) under Microsoft Vista.
I installed Ubuntu with Wubi as a double boot and I would like to switch OS - Linux is lighter, faster, much more reliable...
Since Wordfast works in Java I installed Java JRE 6 - other programs working with Java such as OmegaT do work, Wordfast doesnt...
I downloaded the linux version, unpacked it in my home folder and I get an icon named Wordfast (ex
... See more
Hello everybody,
I usually work with Wordfast 6.0 professional (the standalone version in Java) under Microsoft Vista.
I installed Ubuntu with Wubi as a double boot and I would like to switch OS - Linux is lighter, faster, much more reliable...
Since Wordfast works in Java I installed Java JRE 6 - other programs working with Java such as OmegaT do work, Wordfast doesnt...
I downloaded the linux version, unpacked it in my home folder and I get an icon named Wordfast (exe file) - but that file doesn't open -
does anybody know what I did wrong? Are there other Java versions, did I get the wrong one?
I also tried to add Wordfast to the files in the list of the Java console - it doesn't find any JRE files in the Wordfast folder...

I would really appreciate your help here - I am a total beginner to Linux, but I'm willing to learn...:))
Thanks,
Julia
Collapse

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
English to Hungarian
+ ...
exe? Jun 14, 2009

Julia Boerlin wrote:

Hello everybody,
I downloaded the linux version, unpacked it in my home folder and I get an icon named Wordfast (exe file) - but that file doesn't open -
does anybody know what I did wrong? Are there other Java versions, did I get the wrong one?
I also tried to add Wordfast to the files in the list of the Java console - it doesn't find any JRE files in the Wordfast folder...

I would really appreciate your help here - I am a total beginner to Linux, but I'm willing to learn...:))
Thanks,
Julia

Are you sure it's the linux version? AFAIK .exe is a windows executable extension, standalone linux installers for ubuntu are usually .deb files (or the more usual packages to be installed through synaptic or some other package manager).

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:32
German to English
+ ...
Word Jun 14, 2009

If you do get it running on Linux (I have got that far with the trial version on Fedora) you will find that:

...the Linux-specific version of Wordfast Pro has ... a serious dependency flaw; it cannot work with Word format files that are created or saved in a program other than MS Word... ...any .doc files not saved with MS Word 98-03 will not open in Wordfast...

http://thoughtsontranslation.com/2009/05/11/running-wordfast-pro-on-linux/

Julia Boerlin
Switzerland
German to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
word - .exe Jun 14, 2009

My old Windows habit.....I wrote .exe...in properties the file type is called application/x-executable.

And Robert, I think I could use Crossover or Wine and install a Word version to solve this issue - I think that would work.

Thanks for your replies...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Get and run the LINUX version! Jun 15, 2009

I don’t really understand, what’s the reason of trying to run WFP for Windows in Linux, whilst there is a Linux build. Download it, unpack into you home directory (I normally use ~/bin/ for my user applications, but that’s a matter of taste) to have necessary permissions. And yes, run the executable! I could run it without any problem under openSUSE 10.3/11.1, but did not test very thoroughly.

Question: is your JRE a genuine Sun’s one? I remember, Ubuntu was shipped with som
... See more
I don’t really understand, what’s the reason of trying to run WFP for Windows in Linux, whilst there is a Linux build. Download it, unpack into you home directory (I normally use ~/bin/ for my user applications, but that’s a matter of taste) to have necessary permissions. And yes, run the executable! I could run it without any problem under openSUSE 10.3/11.1, but did not test very thoroughly.

Question: is your JRE a genuine Sun’s one? I remember, Ubuntu was shipped with some free JRE that was not fully equivalent to Sun’s, and not all Java applications could run under it.

Are there other Java versions, did I get the wrong one?

Check it by typing in terminal:
Code:
update-alternatives -config java

to see JRE(’s) installed and choose the default one.

This reading might be useful: howto install sun java 5/6/beta & eclipse manually replacing gcj (gnu java). And this too: How to Install Sun Java on Debian.

[Edited at 2009-06-15 07:35 GMT]
Collapse

Julia Boerlin
Switzerland
German to Greek
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
code? Jun 15, 2009

Thanks for your tips - I did download the linux version but the executable file doesn't open.
I also tried the code you suggested in my terminal in order to see the java version I use - I keep getting a "command not found" message...

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Sorry, a little mistake Jun 15, 2009

The command should be:
Code:
update-alternatives --config java

(note the double dash)

and I guess, you must become su (or sudo) to execute it.

[Edited at 2009-06-15 08:30 GMT]

Robert Tucker (X)
Robert Tucker (X)
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Java Jun 15, 2009

You can find the Java version being used with:
Code:
java -version

The output I get, for example is:

Code:
$ java -version
java version... See more
You can find the Java version being used with:
Code:
java -version

The output I get, for example is:

Code:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_14"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_14-b08)
Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build 14.0-b16, mixed mode)
$

It looks to me that to install Sun Java on Ubuntu you just need to type:
Code:
sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-plugin

http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/158/26/#ubuntu_jre_java_firefox

Presumably Ubuntu uninstalls the Java it is currently using or at least installs Sun Java as the default.

The instructions I use for Fedora, however, are at:

http://www.my-guides.net/en/content/view/161/26/2/12/#java_sun

As I have Java set up "alternatives --config java" yields:

Code:
$ alternatives --config java

There is 3 program that provides 'java'.

Selection Command
-----------------------------------------------
* 1 /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk/bin/java
2 /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.5.0-gcj/bin/java
+ 3 /opt/jdk1.6.0_14/jre/bin/java

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number:

To start the trial version of WordFast I have, I just need to double click the Wordfast file in the WordFast folder with a green Windows logo and "exe" marked on it.
Collapse

Tommaso Benzi
Tommaso Benzi  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 11:32
English to Italian
+ ...
How to update WF Pro in Linux? Aug 11, 2009

Hi all,
is there a way to update WFP in Linux (Ubuntu) without having to uninstall and reinstall, thus losing all my settings?
When I click on Help > Wordfast Updates, nothing happens.
Many thanks,

Tommaso

Philippe Locquet
Philippe Locquet  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to French
+ ...
Reviving this thread for Wordfast Pro v7.5 Nov 7, 2022

A lot of time has passed since this thread was last updated.
I've been doing some tests of my own, hope this will help some of you. If you have more insights, that would be great to have them here.
I can confirm Wf Pro 7.5 works well under Ubuntu, although install may need a slight bit of tweaking on first instance (sounds very much like Linux...)
Summing up my tests:
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Wordfast Pro v7.5
64 bits machine (has to be)

When you first
... See more
A lot of time has passed since this thread was last updated.
I've been doing some tests of my own, hope this will help some of you. If you have more insights, that would be great to have them here.
I can confirm Wf Pro 7.5 works well under Ubuntu, although install may need a slight bit of tweaking on first instance (sounds very much like Linux...)
Summing up my tests:
Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS
Wordfast Pro v7.5
64 bits machine (has to be)

When you first download and unpack Wf Pro 7.5, double clink on Wordfast Pro. You need to give it some time as it will create a folder structure for your future projects, TM etc.
Then it should open.
If it does not open fully, you will see the splash screen and the Wf Pro loading animation forever. In this case, please visit https://wordfast.net/wiki/Wordfast_Pro_fails_to_open I used the method described under Linux / 1. Browsing the full log (using search too) I was able to spot that the dependency libgconf-2.so.4 was missing.
I made sure WfPro process (Java) had been killed.
Then I added it via apt-get: sudo apt-get install libgconf-2-4.

And from then on, it works well.
In my experience it is faster and more responsive than on Windows. But I need to further test it. Here are my findings so far:
_Startup time from double click: Linux = 11secs; Windows = 13 secs
_Creating a project with a 3,6 GB idml: Linux = 1:41; Windows = 2:59
I noticed too that on Windows the fans on the machine start to spin a lot sooner that on Linux while performing heavy tasks in Wf Pro.

That's it for now.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast under Ubuntu?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search