Ubuntu - Wordfast Pro install directory
Thread poster: Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:37
Spanish to English
Jul 13, 2009

I am going to take the new Wordfast Pro for a spin on Ubuntu 8.04. It installed fine and it works, but it is on my /home/username/desktop directory.

Where is the proper place to install the program (e.g., /usr/bin/)?

Thanks in advance.
Elliot

Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:37
Spanish to English
Wherever there's space. Jul 13, 2009

Elliot Everett wrote:

I am going to take the new Wordfast Pro for a spin on Ubuntu 8.04. It installed fine and it works, but it is on my /home/username/desktop directory.

Where is the proper place to install the program (e.g., /usr/bin/)?

Thanks in advance.
Elliot

I should think wherever you like, so long as it's in the path for convenience. Mine (the trial) is in /home/paul/Wordfast and I just run it from there. Or you can add it to the menu easily enough.

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
That's where I ended up putting it Jul 13, 2009

Thanks, I put it there too and it seems to work. But there should be a specific place where the Linux-heads put applications like these, according to the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (see link). I could put it under /opt or something, but I don't know if the config files for my specific use... See more
Thanks, I put it there too and it seems to work. But there should be a specific place where the Linux-heads put applications like these, according to the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (see link). I could put it under /opt or something, but I don't know if the config files for my specific user will go in the right place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

In the end, it's likely much ado about nothing.
Collapse

Thierry Destinobles (X)
Thierry Destinobles (X)  Identity Verified
Switzerland
German to French
+ ...
what about some feedback? Jul 14, 2009

Hi!

I wanted to know how it worked out for you, because I heard here and there that you have to use MS Word to make it work properly, is it ok with OpenOffice.org?

Paul Carmichael
Paul Carmichael  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
It's not in the linux spirit of things Jul 14, 2009

Elliot Everett wrote:

Thanks, I put it there too and it seems to work. But there should be a specific place where the Linux-heads put applications like these, according to the Linux Filesystem Hierarchy Standard (see link). I could put it under /opt or something, but I don't know if the config files for my specific user will go in the right place.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

In the end, it's likely much ado about nothing.

Thing is, if I remember rightly, it doesn't have an installer proper, which would run with root priveleges and therefore be able to install it in /usr/bin or whatever. It's just a standalone executable. Same thing with OmegaT. In fact, looking at my home directory, there's quite a few programs "shipped" without installers. If you built it from source, then proper installation is part of the process (./configure - make - sudo make install). But of course, unlike just about all other linux software, the source isn't available.

You could always log in as root and copy the executable to /usr/bin, but then it wouldn't know where to find it's support files and you don't want to put all that baggage in /usr/bin.

En fin, you might as well leave it where it is.

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
I am using Word 2000 via Wine Jul 14, 2009

Thierry Destinobles wrote:

Hi!

I wanted to know how it worked out for you, because I heard here and there that you have to use MS Word to make it work properly, is it ok with OpenOffice.org?

I too have read that WF Pro on Linux will not work with OpenOffice.org, only with Word. I will post here after I have had some experience with it.

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Leaving it where it is. Jul 14, 2009

wibbleypants wrote:

Thing is, if I remember rightly, it doesn't have an installer proper, which would run with root priveleges and therefore be able to install it in /usr/bin or whatever. It's just a standalone executable. Same thing with OmegaT. In fact, looking at my home directory, there's quite a few programs "shipped" without installers. If you built it from source, then proper installation is part of the process (./configure - make - sudo make install). But of course, unlike just about all other linux software, the source isn't available.

You could always log in as root and copy the executable to /usr/bin, but then it wouldn't know where to find it's support files and you don't want to put all that baggage in /usr/bin.

En fin, you might as well leave it where it is.

I'll probably do that. After all, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Marco D'Ippolito
Marco D'Ippolito  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
wordfast pro install directory Jul 14, 2009

Hallo,

I use ubuntu jaunty and I personally have wfpro installed on the desktop (which is not on my path for security reasons), but then you can as well create a symbolic link (ln -s) to it and put it wherever you want.
I have created a symbolic link to it in /usr/local/bin/ which is where user-installed non-standard applications are usually placed.
Now the command Wordfast is in my path and can be started very simply.

Marco

Elliot Everett (X)
United States
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
Well, it installed fine, but I don't like it Jul 23, 2009

WF Pro seems much more complicated than the old version, and frankly I don't see the reason to switch right now.

I decided to go the WF classic way on Linux via Crossover Office. It seems to have a few glitches, but works okay.

I have a question about turning off delimiters in WF/Linux and will post in another thread.

Thanks again.

Elliot

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ubuntu - Wordfast Pro install directory

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »