Ubuntu - Wordfast Classic - Shift - Alt - F12 problem
Thread poster: Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
Spanish to English
Jul 24, 2009

Hello all. I eventually ended up installing Wordfast Classic with Crossover Office on my Ubuntu 8.04 system.

It seems to work okay so far. One issue I am having is that I can't turn off protection on Wordfast. When I press crtl + alt + f12 to turn off protection, I get a blank screen. Crtl + alt + f1 through f7 gives various consoles, but crtl + alt + f12 doesn't seem to be mapped to anything at all.

So is there any way I can turn off this keybinding on the Ubunt
... See more
Hello all. I eventually ended up installing Wordfast Classic with Crossover Office on my Ubuntu 8.04 system.

It seems to work okay so far. One issue I am having is that I can't turn off protection on Wordfast. When I press crtl + alt + f12 to turn off protection, I get a blank screen. Crtl + alt + f1 through f7 gives various consoles, but crtl + alt + f12 doesn't seem to be mapped to anything at all.

So is there any way I can turn off this keybinding on the Ubuntu level or change the Wordfast protection keybinding?

Thanks,
Elliot
Collapse

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 23:36
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Try to sort it out on Word level Jul 24, 2009

I don't know anything about Ubuntu but you could try to reassign the macro shortcut in Word.

Go to Tools/Customize and click on the Keyboard button. In the Categories list select Macros. In the Macros list select WfProtect and check the box Current keys. My current key is F12, but I might have reassigned it.

Good luck,
Gerard

[Edited at 2009-07-24 22:46 GMT]

Laurent KRAULAND (X)
Laurent KRAULAND (X)  Identity Verified
France
French to German
+ ...
Ctrl + Alt + F12 Jul 25, 2009

On my PC with Windows Vista, this key combination does not deprotect the segments generated by Wordfast, it opens the printer's window for some reason I am still not willing to explore. Reassigning the shortcut is by far more easier.

Laurent K.

[Edited at 2009-07-25 06:10 GMT]

Elliot Everett (X)
Elliot Everett (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:36
Spanish to English
TOPIC STARTER
It worked! Jul 25, 2009

Gerard de Noord wrote:

I don't know anything about Ubuntu but you could try to reassign the macro shortcut in Word.

Go to Tools/Customize and click on the Keyboard button. In the Categories list select Macros. In the Macros list select WfProtect and check the box Current keys. My current key is F12, but I might have reassigned it.

Good luck,
Gerard

[Edited at 2009-07-24 22:46 GMT]

I remapped it to crtl+alt+0 and it works! Thanks Gerard!

madmarsu
madmarsu
Ctrl+Alt+F12 is not unmapped, but... Sep 19, 2012

Elliot Everett wrote:

So is there any way I can turn off this keybinding on the Ubuntu level or change the Wordfast protection keybinding?

Thanks,
Elliot

The best solution was to change the Wordfast keybinding.

In fact, as you mentioned quasi-rightly, Ctrl+Alt+F1-F6 (not F7) are assigned to 6 tty terminals (really useful when the graphical interface freezes or has problems, or you use all your memory+swap), to send a stop or kill signal to a process, for example.
The 6 next are 6 GUI, one assigned to each simultaneaus logged user. So Ctrl+Alt+F7 is "your" graphical user interface (the X session started when you log in).
If you choose to log in with another user without closing your session, then this second logged user is assigned to 2nd GUI: Ctrl+Alt+F8 (but you don't need to press it, you're already on that screen). You can switch back to first user with Ctrl+Alt+F7, of course, and so on, and up to 6 different users, with the 6th one assigned to Ctrl+Alt+F12.
If an account has admin capabilities, he needs to unlock his/her screen by typing the password.
Hope this helps!

reminder: Cltr+Alt+F7 is the "usual" graphical view. Don't panic
P.P.S Though this post is quite old, lots of people are still asking now!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ubuntu - Wordfast Classic - Shift - Alt - F12 problem

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »