Thread poster: Nahit Karataşlı
Nahit Karataşlı
Nahit Karataşlı  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 17:42
English to Turkish
+ ...
Dec 27, 2009

As a translator and an agency, if you design or have a translation environment from scratch;

What should it include?

Should it be a compact system like all in one suite/OS or a system of programs that are installed and handled individually?

Do you mind if it handles the services without using the tools that you are used to? (e.g. a translation file from your cat tool, or a document format in your best office tool)

Which one do you prefer, pai
... See more
As a translator and an agency, if you design or have a translation environment from scratch;

What should it include?

Should it be a compact system like all in one suite/OS or a system of programs that are installed and handled individually?

Do you mind if it handles the services without using the tools that you are used to? (e.g. a translation file from your cat tool, or a document format in your best office tool)

Which one do you prefer, paid or free?

Will you use it, if it's a Linux based system?

Thanks in advance
Collapse

Adam Łobatiuk
Adam Łobatiuk  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 15:42
Member (2009)
English to Polish
+ ...
Not Linux Dec 28, 2009

I have nothing against Linux, personally, and I'm sure a lot of translation work can be done on that system. However, virtually all of my work comes in Microsoft Office formats or requires Windows-based tools like Trados. There are good multi-platform CAT's like Swordfish or Omega-T, but I can't imagine sending back a doc file I haven't seen in Word or a PPT presentation that I haven't seen in PowerPoint. Too many things can go wrong.

Your situation might differ, but the investment
... See more
I have nothing against Linux, personally, and I'm sure a lot of translation work can be done on that system. However, virtually all of my work comes in Microsoft Office formats or requires Windows-based tools like Trados. There are good multi-platform CAT's like Swordfish or Omega-T, but I can't imagine sending back a doc file I haven't seen in Word or a PPT presentation that I haven't seen in PowerPoint. Too many things can go wrong.

Your situation might differ, but the investment in Windows and Office is less than a month's income and it will be useful for a long time. It is also good to keep older versions of both, because most problems are already known and have solutions.
Collapse

Maxim Manzhosin
Maxim Manzhosin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:42
English to Russian
Why from scratch? Dec 29, 2009

If I were forced to use Linux I would install PCLoSTrans.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A Translation Environment from Scratch

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »