Thread poster: Rafa Lombardino
Yolande Haneder (X)
Yolande Haneder (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:50
German to French
+ ...
Another one here Aug 24, 2007

Rafa Lombardino wrote:

1. When and why did you decide to switch to Linux and what Linux distribution are you currently using?
2. Are you running any Microsoft / Mac programs for translation purposes? How?
3. Are you using any Linux CAT software?

Thanks!

1. I decided in April this year, tried once unbuntu and then Suse because of the better compatibility with word documents. So far no one noticed that I translated a word document on Open Office and saved again as doc. Creating a .doc straight away in Open Office created problems so I pasted the text in a word in wine. I am very happy with Suse.

2. I am on dual boot, I do what I can in Linux, the rest (a couple of hours a week) in windows. I use word on wine and save everything on a FAT partition to be able to pick it from windows.

3. Not at the moment.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:50
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Linguas OS Jan 29, 2008

Rafa Lombardino wrote:

After reading one of our colleague's plead to be convinced to abandon Windows and noticing that there are more people than I thought working as a translator while running Linux, I'd like to hear from people currently using such set up. Feel free to answer the questions below:

1. When and why did you decide to switch to Linux and what Linux distribution are you currently using?

Well, besides raising a great theme for discussion with Linux-friendly translators, I'm also deeply interested in those running any Linux CAT software. I've been using Trados for three years now (a couple of clients demand that I use it), and I was wondering if any of you have been working with a Trados-alike tool (which would allow for a future seamless CAT switch.)

Thanks!

I've been using Linux since 2000, when I was working as a public school teacher and couldn't afford to upgrade to WinXP and sought alternatives.

Now, my company, Baldwin Linguas, has released our own Linux distro for translators!
All of the computers in the Baldwin Linguas offices are running Linguas OS, which is now
available to the public at http://www.linguasos.org

We don't run any emulators or any Windows software on our machines here.
We do use OmegaT CAT software (for which I am the current localization coordinator), OpenOffice.org (both included in Linguas OS) and many other FOSS tools.

chord0
chord0
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
linux information Jan 29, 2008

hello

I do not use Linux, too many years using windows but if you need information on all things related to Linux see:
http://linux.about.com

this type of operating systems is now becoming very popular here in the usa in graphics, games, and graphical representation engineering.

enjoy linux
georgina

Taija Hyvönen
Taija Hyvönen
Finland
Local time: 05:50
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Intrepid Ibex Feb 5, 2009

I spent many happy years with Linux. When I started freelancing, I bought a new computer with Windows in it as I was sure I would need it to work - Linux was installed in it too, but I used Windows. Well, about six months later the Windows crashed completely (wiping the hard drive etc.) and it was not going to get fixed easily, so to spare myself I just installed Linux on it - version 8.10, Intrepid Ibex. Oh the relief..!

I do have two working Windows computers with Office 2007 at
... See more
I spent many happy years with Linux. When I started freelancing, I bought a new computer with Windows in it as I was sure I would need it to work - Linux was installed in it too, but I used Windows. Well, about six months later the Windows crashed completely (wiping the hard drive etc.) and it was not going to get fixed easily, so to spare myself I just installed Linux on it - version 8.10, Intrepid Ibex. Oh the relief..!

I do have two working Windows computers with Office 2007 at hand should I need them. But as long as I am using Firefox, OpenOffice and OmegaT anyway, and I was using them on Windows as well, I don't really see any point in spending any more time than necessary with Windows. OpenOffice handles MS Office files just fine. No viruses, no crashing, no rebooting a couple of times a day etc.

The only real problem is so many clients demanding Trados... but maybe there is a way around that.
Collapse

Ralph de Rijke
Ralph de Rijke  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Linux: the choice of a GNU generation Feb 21, 2009

> 1. When and why did you decide to switch to Linux and what Linux distribution are you currently using?
> 2. Are you running any Microsoft / Mac programs for translation purposes? How?
> 3. Are you using any Linux CAT software?

I was introduced to Linux in 1993, installed Mandrake Linux at home permanently in 1996, switched to Ubuntu when it came out in 2004, and have run no other operating system since then. Why? It's fast, capable, stable, configurable, free, a
... See more
> 1. When and why did you decide to switch to Linux and what Linux distribution are you currently using?
> 2. Are you running any Microsoft / Mac programs for translation purposes? How?
> 3. Are you using any Linux CAT software?

I was introduced to Linux in 1993, installed Mandrake Linux at home permanently in 1996, switched to Ubuntu when it came out in 2004, and have run no other operating system since then. Why? It's fast, capable, stable, configurable, free, and utterly reliable - once it works, it stays working for ever. I have lost count of the hours I've wasted on my own and others' broken, jammed, sluggish, infected, unpredictable and therefore effectively unmanageable Windows operating systems over the years; never again! I currently use Ubuntu 8.04 for translation purposes on my Dell laptop. It works perfectly: it's fast, rock-solid reliable, and the Dell even runs cooler than it did under Windows XP.

I use Van Dale's Windows-based translation dictionaries inside the Linux 'Windows emulation' programme Wine; this works transparently and perfectly.

I use OpenOffice.org to handle MS Office documents and OmegaT for CAT/TMX purposes. In common with others' findings on this forum, I would agree that source document layout very occasionally poses a protracted problem, with a history of multiple editing in different Windows / MS Office environments often turning out to be the real culprit. Building a clean file within OpenOffice.org and importing the text can do the trick.

To any other translators considering moving from Windows to Linux I would say: do it! It's well worth learning how to use Linux, and you'll never regret the decision.

Ralph de Rijke
Amsterdam
Collapse

Marc-Olivier Joyal Gagnon (X)
French to English
+ ...
Trados May 28, 2009

I am currently considering the switch between an Windows to Linux distro.

I used Linux many years ago, but came back to Win for the out-of-the-box aspect. Dwelling back into my first love, I realize that Linux is no more the clunky, nightmarish monster of coding it used to be! (Yai!)

But still, ONE question remain.. really; On THAT question will be based my decision:

How to deal with jobs king for TRADOS?????

Is it a simple matter of fi
... See more
I am currently considering the switch between an Windows to Linux distro.

I used Linux many years ago, but came back to Win for the out-of-the-box aspect. Dwelling back into my first love, I realize that Linux is no more the clunky, nightmarish monster of coding it used to be! (Yai!)

But still, ONE question remain.. really; On THAT question will be based my decision:

How to deal with jobs king for TRADOS?????

Is it a simple matter of file extension that could be handled by an other prog?
Or is it REALLY a matter of using the same prog?

Thanks for any answer you Gurus could give me,
*bow*
Tark
Collapse

Rafa Lombardino
Rafa Lombardino
United States
Local time: 19:50
Member (2005)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Swordfish May 28, 2009

Hi, Marc

Six months ago, I was actually standing at the same crossroads you are. I had been working with Trados for four years and my TM and glossary were huge, so I wasn't ready to let go of them and start it all over again with a Linux-compatible CAT tool.

That was when we heard about a CAT tool called Swordfish... We downloaded the 30-day free trial, installed it, played with it and successfully imported our TMs and glossaries. I could go on working as if nothing had
... See more
Hi, Marc

Six months ago, I was actually standing at the same crossroads you are. I had been working with Trados for four years and my TM and glossary were huge, so I wasn't ready to let go of them and start it all over again with a Linux-compatible CAT tool.

That was when we heard about a CAT tool called Swordfish... We downloaded the 30-day free trial, installed it, played with it and successfully imported our TMs and glossaries. I could go on working as if nothing had happened.

The one thing I love about Swordfish is that it only uses open standards; in other words, your work is not "locked" inside a program and your TM and glossaries are stored on a hassle-free multilingual database. It's compatible with several formats, from .doc, .xls, and .ppt to Open Office, .html, .xml, .po, and .rtf, besides Trados .TTX.

For you to have an idea, none of my colleagues work with Swordfish, so all I have to do is convert the original files into TTX so that they can translate them using Trados and, when I have to proofread/review the translation, I can do it right there on Swordfish, thus updating our general TM and glossary. Additionally, if clients ask for a memory file to be delivered with the translated document, all I have to do is actually export that file's contents into TMX (instead of exporting the whole TM itself), so they can update their own TM.

Well, to tell you the truth, I'm 99% Windows free for about six months now and I love it! The only things I still have to do on Windows are converting the document into TTX when I'm working with a colleague and updating Quickbooks, 'cause that's the software our CPA uses.

I would highly recommend a Linux distribution called Ubuntu, 'cause it's far from being a "nightmarish monster of coding" and it's really easy on the eye. It's pretty much a "out-of-the-box" solution and, if you don't believe me, just ask my Mom and mother-in-law, who said goodbye to their old Windows and are now using Ubuntu to surf the web and update their photo albums.

If you need anything, feel free to send me a message!
Collapse

French to English
+ ...
Chibby! May 29, 2009

Thanks Rafa for the answer!

It was quick and exactly what I was looking for!

Even tho I don't have the same dilemma as you:
I just started in the industry, so I don't have a history behind me.

I still wanted to set my path in the right direction and not to change down the track.

I'm a world traveler who's trying his hand in translation, for the leeway it gives me for work location.

Linux is efficient, quick and
... See more
Thanks Rafa for the answer!

It was quick and exactly what I was looking for!

Even tho I don't have the same dilemma as you:
I just started in the industry, so I don't have a history behind me.

I still wanted to set my path in the right direction and not to change down the track.

I'm a world traveler who's trying his hand in translation, for the leeway it gives me for work location.

Linux is efficient, quick and hopefully wont take much recourses on my Laptop.

Cheers all,
Tark
Collapse

gabriela asin
gabriela asin  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Delighted with Linux Jun 10, 2009

1. I installed Ubuntu in my laptop about two years ago because Vista keep giving my trouble. I'm delighted because it works more efficiently and it's safer. Plus I find the Ubuntu distro is not very hard to use so I'm really happy with it. I have kept Vista just in case some day I need it but I barely use it. I'm taking advantage of the fact that I'm still a translation student to test different software and to learn as much as I can about the possibilities I have. This is also one of the reason... See more
1. I installed Ubuntu in my laptop about two years ago because Vista keep giving my trouble. I'm delighted because it works more efficiently and it's safer. Plus I find the Ubuntu distro is not very hard to use so I'm really happy with it. I have kept Vista just in case some day I need it but I barely use it. I'm taking advantage of the fact that I'm still a translation student to test different software and to learn as much as I can about the possibilities I have. This is also one of the reasons why I joined ProZ.
2. I currently don't run any Windows applications. I tried to run some commercial electronic dictionaries under Wine but I wasn't successful.
3. The software I like best is OpenOffice and OmegaT. For text alignment I tried bitext2tmx, which is a good programe but which offers few encoding possibilities. Recently asking in ProZ about another text alignment programe I was told to try Stingray and I like it better. I've also been testing Anaphraseus, a Wordfast clone that works with OpenOffice. This programe is still a beta so I wouldn't recommend it for profesional use yet. Its good but the beta crashes a bit too much(it could something I have wrong on my computer too). I hope the developers keep the project on, though. In the future it may be a good tool for Linux translators. I've also done a bit of testing on Swordfish and it seems like a wonderful tool. At my university they have taught us how to use Trados(only some functions) and I don't see what's so great about this programe because I think a lot of things that it can do can be done with other CAT tools too. Nevertheless, I'm a little concerned about compatibility issues that might arise between this programme and other CAT tools. I am concerned about how to manage to have a good set of electronic dictionaries on Ubuntu too.
Collapse

Michael Mestre
Michael Mestre
France
English to French
+ ...
Another happy Linux user Sep 29, 2009

Let me add myself to the list of happy Linux users (with a Windows emulator to ensure that the produced documents are readable by everyone).

Here is a small list of the software that I run (which may give ideas to colleagues wishing to try Linux out) :

-Ubuntu
-OmegaT
-Virtualbox for Windows emulation (WinXP, Office97, Openoffice, Wordfast)
-Python for scripting when I need it

Everything works like a charm. All this is open source or free
... See more
Let me add myself to the list of happy Linux users (with a Windows emulator to ensure that the produced documents are readable by everyone).

Here is a small list of the software that I run (which may give ideas to colleagues wishing to try Linux out) :

-Ubuntu
-OmegaT
-Virtualbox for Windows emulation (WinXP, Office97, Openoffice, Wordfast)
-Python for scripting when I need it

Everything works like a charm. All this is open source or free of charge (except for WinXP and Office97 of course).

Gabi, thanks for recommending Stingray for TM alignment, I will try it soon.
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My answers Sep 30, 2009

It was not a single decision, but several years of first trying Linux just out of curiosity and then, after understanding its benefits, switching to it. I still have Windows, but for almost two years boot mainly to Linux. I use openSUSE Linux 11.1 currently, and it was exactly openSUSE (10.2 initially) that became my distro. I have also InfraLinux 8.10, a Russian clone of Ubuntu, on my hard drive and a couple of live CDs, but have actually little inclination to experiment with them, because, well, openSUSE is just fine.

Microsoft Office 2003 via Crossover Linux. I would also want to have ABBYY FineReader and ABBYY Lingvo, but neither of them runs.

I can’t remember any Linux-specific CAT tool. I use OmegaT (a Java program), Anaphraseus (a set of macros running in OpenOffice.org Writer) and am trying out Wordfast Pro (as I understand, a Java program with some native pieces), but all three are available for MS Windows and Mac OSX as well.

[Edited at 2009-09-30 06:56 GMT]

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
By the way, Sep 30, 2009

it was actually Microsoft who persuaded me to finally switch to Linux. I bought a laptop with Vista installed, and the latter turned out to be so bad, that I immediately installed openSUSE and made it the default boot option. Microsoft did not leave me any other choice

[Edited at 2009-09-30 07:00 GMT]

Tommaso Benzi
Tommaso Benzi  Identity Verified
Dominican Republic
Local time: 22:50
English to Italian
+ ...
Another Linux (Ubuntu) user Sep 30, 2009

Hi all,
I've been using Ubuntu for six months and I'm generally very happy.
I use Wordfast Pro, which works fine (it still has a few glitches though), and sometimes OmegaT. I've tried out Anaphraseus as well, but as someone else already said, it's not recommended for professional use. I also have installed VirtualBox and WinXP because I still need it for some proprietary software, such as MS LocStudio.
Recently I have tried also Wordfast Anywhere (web-based, with Firefox), but
... See more
Hi all,
I've been using Ubuntu for six months and I'm generally very happy.
I use Wordfast Pro, which works fine (it still has a few glitches though), and sometimes OmegaT. I've tried out Anaphraseus as well, but as someone else already said, it's not recommended for professional use. I also have installed VirtualBox and WinXP because I still need it for some proprietary software, such as MS LocStudio.
Recently I have tried also Wordfast Anywhere (web-based, with Firefox), but I'm not convinced yet.
Best,

Tommaso
Collapse

GTR332
GTR332  Identity Verified
Germany
German to Dutch
+ ...
Ubuntu, OmegaT and VirtualBox Mar 21, 2010

Hello,

I am running Ubuntu for about 4 years now and never missed Windows since then. I use mainly Omegat as a CAT tool. For the more complex formatting of MS Office documents, Openoffice is unfortunately not good enough, so that's why i use Virtualbox with XP and Office 2007. I also use VirtualBox for my Dutch Van Dale dictionaries, which are not, and will probably never be available in Linux versions. (They don't run well on Wine).

Jan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Prachya Mruetusatorn[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you a Linux Translator?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »