What rates should I charge for translations and proofreading of translations?
Thread poster: Thewordtree
Thewordtree
Thewordtree
South Africa
Local time: 08:06
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Jul 12, 2018

I know this is a bit of a sensitive subject, but I would really like to know what the 'standard rates' are for translations and proofreading on here.

You don't have to tell me what you charge, just what you would charge if you were me, doing this part-time from home for the last ten years.

I have to quote for a large project and my language set is very niche, as it's only spoken in South Africa really.

Please help me!...
See more
I know this is a bit of a sensitive subject, but I would really like to know what the 'standard rates' are for translations and proofreading on here.

You don't have to tell me what you charge, just what you would charge if you were me, doing this part-time from home for the last ten years.

I have to quote for a large project and my language set is very niche, as it's only spoken in South Africa really.

Please help me!

I look forward to your comments.
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Tree Jul 12, 2018

Thewordtree wrote:
I have to quote for a large project...

In what country is the client? Is the client an agency, publisher, company or private person?

Thewordtree
Thewordtree
South Africa
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's for this job and I'd like general guidelines for future use Jul 12, 2018

It's for this job: https://www.proz.com/job/1468882

But I'd also like to have a guideline in general on how to quote for different jobs.

Ester Vidal
Ester Vidal  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2017)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Use Community Rates from ProZ Jul 12, 2018

Have you tried using the Community Rates from ProZ?

https://search.proz.com/?sp=pfe/rates

I'm not sure if your Language will be there, but it's worth a try.

Good luck!

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Trevino Translations (X)

Thewordtree
Thewordtree
South Africa
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Jul 12, 2018

Thanks

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@The Jul 12, 2018

Thewordtree wrote:
It's for this job: https://www.proz.com/job/1468882

It is an agency and they're in Egypt, so if you want work from them, you're going to have to charge Egyptian rates. Egyptian rates are typically between USD 0.04 (50c) and USD 0.07 (90c) per word, or between USD 8.00 (R100) and USD 18.00 (R250) per hour. So, if you charge LAMP rates, you're actually pretty much on the dot. Make sure you understand what fuzzy matching is.

Generally, transcription takes 8-12 minutes for every minute of audio, so to get a per-minute rate, divide your hourly rate by 5. You never know how fast the subtitles are, so assume 100-150 words per minute. So to get a per-minute subtitle translation rate, multiply your per-word rate by 100 or 150. If you translate subtitles on a per-word basis, increase your usual per-word rate by 25-30% to make up for the fact that you're going to have to test your translation against the audio as well.

Joe Ly Sien

Min Kyu Kim
Min Kyu Kim
United States
Local time: 02:06
General Price Sep 6, 2018

I will try to give you a general answer . Prices vary a lot based on the country you are in , or the language which you are looking to get translated or proofread. As in the modern era of internet , we are all connected to the other parts of the world , getting a cheap translator and proofreader will not be a big problem or hazel .As you were not quiet descriptive regarding details I will give you general answer some companies which i know off charge close to 0.03 to 0.05 dollars per word for th... See more
I will try to give you a general answer . Prices vary a lot based on the country you are in , or the language which you are looking to get translated or proofread. As in the modern era of internet , we are all connected to the other parts of the world , getting a cheap translator and proofreader will not be a big problem or hazel .As you were not quiet descriptive regarding details I will give you general answer some companies which i know off charge close to 0.03 to 0.05 dollars per word for the proofreading .Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What rates should I charge for translations and proofreading of translations?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »