Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Yes Feb 10, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

Nikki Scott-Despaigne wrote:
Angie Garbarino wrote:
100K turnover or net after taxes?

Unless I am mistaken, "turnover" means gross sales.

I think Angie's question was meant to be read as "100K turnover or 100K net after taxes?". Michael does not mention turnover. But for translators, turnover and profit are so close to each other that you might as well regard them as the same thing. I assumed Michael meant gross profit.

This is what I meant and did not read turnover. And this is also what I wrote, I think.

Felipe Lacerda
Felipe Lacerda  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:23
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Congrats! Feb 10, 2021

IRS liked this post.

Christopher Schröder
Mervyn Henderson (X)
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
gayd (X)

Stephen Emm
Stephen Emm  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:23
French to English
+ ...
Well done! Feb 10, 2021

Congratulations, I am sure you have worked very hard to achieve that.

How well does the Russian work pay? Does it pay better than the Norwegian work or is the Norwegian work?

Michele Fauble

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Don’t dampen the mood Feb 10, 2021

David GAY wrote:
And I would say that this kind of income is very low in the US nowadays as you have neither health coverage nor retirement benefits.

That would be incorrect. Below you can find the links to the most recent official numbers for the US and Maryland, where Michael apparently lives. His income is way above average.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/US/SEX255219

Therefore, despite the naysayers Michael is not just doing good, he's doing great (with or without health coverage or retirement benefits). Hats off to him!

We should celebrate the success of our colleague(s), and be humble and open-minded so as to take a few pointers in the process.

That said, if I may ask, why did you decide to concentrate in the medical field? It was already an interest of yours, the result of a chain of translation events, a combination of the above or a mere strategic move?

In any case, congratulations Michael! Thank you for sharing your experience and I hope to read about you in the future for another record-breaking announcement. Best of luck!

[Edited at 2021-02-10 22:46 GMT]

Gina Centanni
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro
Angie Garbarino
Morano El-Kholy
Michele Fauble

gayd (X)
gayd (X)
turnover vs income Feb 10, 2021

texjax DDS PhD wrote:

David GAY wrote:
And I would say that this kind of income is very low in the US nowadays as you have neither health coverage nor retirement benefits.

That would be incorrect. Below you can find the links to the most recent official numbers for the US and Maryland, where Michael apparently lives. His income is way above average.

[Edited at 2021-02-10 22:46 GMT]

Turnover is not the same as income
If you have health issues, a turnover of 100k is nowhere near enough in the US, especially if you have to stop working.

texjax DDS PhD
texjax DDS PhD  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:23
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Don’t dampen the mood - Part 2 Feb 11, 2021

David GAY wrote:

If you have health issues, a turnover of 100k is nowhere near enough in the US, especially if you have to stop working.

I rest my case.

Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas
Angie Garbarino

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:23
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Russian and Norwegian to English Feb 11, 2021

It would be interesting to know how much of that income (and work) came from Russian and how much from Norwegian.

Michael Marcoux wrote:

I used free resources, mostly Khan Academy and YouTube, to learn everything I could about anatomy and physiology. From then on out I focused on taking work that centered around a handful of common conditions, like lower back pain or psychological trauma, to further specialize.

How did you manage to focus on those common conditions? In my experience, if you specialize in medical, you will be asked to translate anything medical.

Christopher Schröder
gayd (X)

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:23
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@David and @TexJax Feb 11, 2021

David GAY wrote:
texjax DDS PhD wrote:
Below you can find the links to the most recent official numbers for the US and Maryland, where Michael apparently lives. His income is way above average.

Turnover is not the same as income.

For practical purposes, for freelance translators working from home, turnover is nearly the same as income (unless you have tremendous amounts of business expenses).

As for the census.gov pages, I could not find a clear indication if they mean "before taxes" or "after taxes" (or "before deductible expenditures" or "after deductible expenditures") when they say "income". The full definitions imply different things in different places, or contain circular definitions, e.g. "“Total income” is the sum of the amounts reported separately for ... net self-employment income".

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
Nice one! Feb 11, 2021

Michael Marcoux wrote:
- I created a comprehensive set of over 5,000 flash cards using Anki so I could recall complex terms off the top of my head. That way I could dictate my translations rather than type them. Huge time saver.

This is a great idea. Hope you don't mind if I copy it!

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
An old idea, usefully updated Feb 11, 2021

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei wrote:

I used paper flash cards when learning the kanji 30 years ago. I used Anki when learning Chinese 10 years ago. Anki is a far superior solution.

Kind of surprised it's not better known by a bunch of linguists like the esteemed members of this forum.

Regards,
Dan

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
Anki Feb 11, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:

I used paper flash cards when learning the kanji 30 years ago. I used Anki when learning Chinese 10 years ago. Anki is a far superior solution.

Kind of surprised it's not better known by a bunch of linguists like the esteemed members of this forum.

Regards,
Dan

I've never heard of Anki before, I'll have a look. I do use Memrise quite a bit when I want to test myself on things.

Vladimir Pochinov
Vladimir Pochinov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 22:23
English to Russian
Sidetracking Feb 11, 2021

I like how this discussion sidetracks from the topic time and again But thanks for mentioning the Anki flash cards, I will try this application.

And Michael, congratulations! That's the way to go!

[Edited at 2021-02-11 10:36 GMT]

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Local time: 21:23
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Somehow managed to get educated without those cards. Feb 11, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:

Regards,
Dan

I somehow managed to learn things and get education without those cards, miraculously.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Japanese to English
I do know Anki Feb 11, 2021

Dan Lucas wrote:

Regards,
Dan

To clarify, I've been using pre-made Anki decks to learn Korean recently, but I hadn't thought of creating glossaries for Japanese terminology. In the future, anything that gives me a hard time will be going straight to my new deck.

Dan Lucas

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Dutch to English
+ ...
? Feb 11, 2021

Lingua 5B wrote:

Dan Lucas wrote:

Regards,
Dan

I somehow managed to learn things and get education without those cards, miraculously.

Me too, but new ideas are always good, right?

Dan Lucas
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
IrinaN
Michele Fauble

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I finally did it. I broke $100k!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »