Microsoft issues with my Spanish keyboard (double accents)
Thread poster: Erika Ramos De Urquidi
Erika Ramos De Urquidi
Erika Ramos De Urquidi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 13, 2019

I bought my PC tower computer in the United States and I use an English standard keyboard. For many years I have switched to the Spanish Keyboard function in Microsoft when I translate into Spanish while still using the same keyboard (I know where every key is in a Spanish keyboard).
Recently, I started getting DOUBLE ACCENTS when trying to insert accents into my Spanish text. I thought it was a virus, but I just came back from the Geek Squad and they are telling me that Microsoft may have
... See more
I bought my PC tower computer in the United States and I use an English standard keyboard. For many years I have switched to the Spanish Keyboard function in Microsoft when I translate into Spanish while still using the same keyboard (I know where every key is in a Spanish keyboard).
Recently, I started getting DOUBLE ACCENTS when trying to insert accents into my Spanish text. I thought it was a virus, but I just came back from the Geek Squad and they are telling me that Microsoft may have changed the way they do the Spanish keyboard mapping and that they recommend I buy a Spanish keyboard and switch actual keyboards every time I have to write something in Spanish. Crazy!
I must point out that I have two laptops that I use with a Spanish and English keyboard setting without any issues.
Collapse

Daniel Frisano
Daniel Frisano  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 03:31
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Weird Jan 14, 2019

That's quite an idiotic suggestion by the Geek Squad: if there's something wrong with the mapping, physically changing the keyboard does nothing.

How do you use the simulated Spanish keyboard? Did you add it from Settings > Language > etc.? Do you get the language selection tab when you press the Windows key + space?

Also, what do you mean by "double accents"?
Something like ´´o ?
Something like ´ó?
Something like ˝o?
Something like ő?

Manuel Bas y Mansilla
Manuel Bas y Mansilla  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Spanish
I don't know if this'll work, but... Jan 14, 2019

... why don't you try changing your keyboard setting between different Spanish variants? (Spain, LatAm, etc.).

Anyway, if you end up buying a Spanish keyboard, you won't need to switch back to an English keyboard, you already have the necessary keys.

Natalia Pedrosa

Rodolfo Raya
Rodolfo Raya  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:31
English to Spanish
Keep one keyboard, change your Gurus Jan 14, 2019

Hi,

The recommendation your Gurus gave you is silly.

You can use different languages and layouts with a single keyboard in Windows.

I use US keyboards in my machines but they have two languages installed (check "Language Preferences"). For English I use a standard "US Keyboard" layout and for Spanish I switch to "US International" layout.

Switching layout is as easy as pressing "Alt + Shift". That simple key combination switches the keyboard fr
... See more
Hi,

The recommendation your Gurus gave you is silly.

You can use different languages and layouts with a single keyboard in Windows.

I use US keyboards in my machines but they have two languages installed (check "Language Preferences"). For English I use a standard "US Keyboard" layout and for Spanish I switch to "US International" layout.

Switching layout is as easy as pressing "Alt + Shift". That simple key combination switches the keyboard from one language to the other. The keys are all in the same place, the only difference is in the method used to enter special characters. You can tell which language is the current one by looking at the rightmost side of the task bar (there you will see "ENG" or "ESP" indicators).

To type accented characters in Spanish, simply press the apostrophe key and then the desired vowel. For an 'ñ' or 'Ñ' press '~' followed by 'n' or 'N'. For opening and closing marks ('¡' and '¿') press right Alt key while typing '!' or '?'.

This technique also works for all French and German characters.

Regards,
Rodolfo
Collapse

Erika Ramos De Urquidi
Erika Ramos De Urquidi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 21:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your comments... Jan 14, 2019

This is what I get when I type my accent: ´´o

I´ve used the Spanish and English keyboards by switching between them using Alt+shift and have never had a problem until now... In fact, I have two other machines and I'm not having any issues.

I googled my issue and this i
... See more
This is what I get when I type my accent: ´´o

I´ve used the Spanish and English keyboards by switching between them using Alt+shift and have never had a problem until now... In fact, I have two other machines and I'm not having any issues.

I googled my issue and this is what I got

https://answers.microsoft.com/es-es/windows/forum/windows_xp/virus-doble-acento/190ca1f1-f9d3-4ec3-9169-1c901d3459e0
Collapse

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 03:31
French to English
+ ...
An idea Jan 14, 2019

Perhaps it's silly to suggest this, but you do say that you bought your new PC in the United States, so I wondered whether you have installed the Windows Spanish language pack. If you had previously bought PCs in a Spanish-speaking country, then I believe you would have got both Spanish and US English language packs installed automatically. I bought my PCs in France and seem to recall that they came with French and US English. I think I then installed UK English and uninstalled US English. That ... See more
Perhaps it's silly to suggest this, but you do say that you bought your new PC in the United States, so I wondered whether you have installed the Windows Spanish language pack. If you had previously bought PCs in a Spanish-speaking country, then I believe you would have got both Spanish and US English language packs installed automatically. I bought my PCs in France and seem to recall that they came with French and US English. I think I then installed UK English and uninstalled US English. That is the language pack, including keyboard layouts, not just the keyboard layout.

[Edited at 2019-01-14 21:04 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-01-14 21:05 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Microsoft issues with my Spanish keyboard (double accents)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »