Deleting Ugly vertical line from Word document
Thread poster: Andy S
Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:21
German to English
Jun 13, 2019

I am using Word 2010 and a stubborn unwanted vertical line is marring a translation I am otherwise content with. It is the result of an error by the OCR software.

I cannot just click on it and delete like with other examples of this in the text.

Dodea anyone know how I can remove this, please?

José Pérez Negro
José Pérez Negro
Spain
Local time: 12:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
Select Objects Jun 13, 2019

Did you try select objects?

In Home ribbon, below Find, Replace there is a Select option. Click Select Objects and try to select it

Michael Davies
Michael Davies  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2009)
Danish to English
+ ...
Remove vertical line Jun 13, 2019

Have you tried copying the text (with and without using CTRL+A to select all) over to a new document? (assuming that the text is in editable format and not as an image). Does the line follow the remaining text?

The line might also be a 'watermark' in the document - you could try removing all watermarks.

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
These methods dod not work Jun 13, 2019

Scratch what I originally wrote in my reply. Although it seams not to have been approved yet anyway by the mods.

Alas Ctrl + A did not work, nor did removing watermarks...

From googling, it seems that it could have been a border, so I set "no borders" but it still remains.

Delivery is due in >one hour so unless I can sort this I will reluctantly have to hand it over with this flaw.

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:16
... See more
Scratch what I originally wrote in my reply. Although it seams not to have been approved yet anyway by the mods.

Alas Ctrl + A did not work, nor did removing watermarks...

From googling, it seems that it could have been a border, so I set "no borders" but it still remains.

Delivery is due in >one hour so unless I can sort this I will reluctantly have to hand it over with this flaw.

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:15 GMT]

[Edited at 2019-06-13 12:16 GMT]
Collapse

Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
English to German
Part of a frame or table? Jun 13, 2019

Andrew Stucken wrote:

I cannot just click on it and delete like with other examples of this in the text.

Maybe it's a line belonging to a frame that is a property of a paragraph.
Maybe it's a line belonging to a table grid.

In either case all other lines of the frame resp table might be set invisible, so you see only one line.

John Fossey
John Fossey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:21
Member (2008)
French to English
+ ...
Line between columns? Jun 13, 2019

I had this issue recently and discovered it was a line between columns. OCR software has a habit of putting things into columns, and sometimes a line appears between them.

If this is the case, turn it off by selecting something in the columns concerned, then go to Layout > Columns down arrow > More columns (at the bottom of the list) > Uncheck "Line between"

Andy S
Andy S
United Kingdom
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved by removing line between columns Jun 13, 2019

Brilliant. Done in the nick of time.

Thankyou!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Deleting Ugly vertical line from Word document

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »