Christopher Farley
Christopher Farley
Switzerland
Local time: 13:09
Italian to English
+ ...
Nov 5, 2019

Good morning everyone.

I translated a document (CafeTran) from a Word document which was a converted (and scanned) PDF original. That original had vertical lines either side of the text and my translation has followed suit. The only problem now is that I have to merge the original and translated documents in a two column document and I can't get rid of the lines on my translated document.

Any advice please?

Thank you.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Maybe... Nov 5, 2019

Christopher Farley wrote:
That original had vertical lines either side of the text...

MS Word sometimes creates lines by creating a style that includes the line as a border (e.g. if you type -----, MS Word sometimes converts it to a long line that you will not be able to delete, because it is actually a paragraph with a border).

Have a look here:
https://www.howtogeek.com/217924/how-to-remove-automatic-horizontal-lines-in-word/

In Word, go to the "styles" and see if you can find a style that adds the line. Delete the style.

remove solid line

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:09
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
AOO/LO Writer Nov 5, 2019

Try opening the document in Apache OpenOffice / LibreOffice Writer, open the Navigator (F5) and see the list of objects available. Or simply try to click on the lines to select and delete.

Kevin Fulton

Christopher Farley
Christopher Farley
Switzerland
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Translating documents from a scanned original source Nov 5, 2019

Thank you Samuel, that seems to have done the trick.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Formatting documents from a scanned original source

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »