http://www.condak.cz/nove/2019-06/25/en/00.html

Inserting tags in OmegaT

Un/remove tags in source DOCX

01 TagWipe in DGT-Wizard
02 Source DOCX files
03 Remove tags
04 Insert missing tag
05 Create Target

I hope it help to undestand my way to not arrange formatting of DOCX nannualy.

The topic is "inserting tags" and a process is the same as in previous versions of OmegaT.

Milan
Collapse

Alvaro Pavié
Alvaro Pavié
Chile
Local time: 15:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Time-consuming process? Jun 26, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:

I have followed the discussion here and in the OmegaT e-mail group, but allow me to add my opinion on this: as you know, OmegaT does not allow you to add character formatting during the translation process, so you have to add the formatting afterwards (in the final file in e.g. MS Word) or you have to add it beforehand (i.e. before you start the translation, you open the file in e.g. MS Word and prepare it with all the required formatting, and THEN you start the translation in OmegaT).

When I need to translate PDF files, I first convert the PDF file to plain text, then I recreate the layout manually in MS Word, and then I paste the plain text into the MS Word file, and change the character formatting so that the MS Word file looks more or less like the original PDF (inasmuch as it is necessary), and only then... only then do I start the translation in my CAT tool.

I know that some CAT tools allow you to add simple character formatting (bold, etc.) in the CAT tool itself, but OmegaT doesn't. But even in such CAT tools, it is a good idea to "prepare" the file before loading it into the CAT tool, because only the most basic formatting can be fixed inside the CAT tool.

[Edited at 2019-06-26 07:07 GMT]

But isn't the process that you're describing too time-consuming? How long does it take you to convert a PDF into plain text, recreate the layout manually on MS Word and then paste the text into it? Wouldn't the resulting file be ridden with tags anyway? On the other hand, I don't know how to convert the PDF into plain text nor do I have the skills to recreate the layout manually in MS Word (though I'm much better at using it than during my college days), and even if I did, the PDFs I usually get are protected, so I can't modify or convert them in any way (can't even open them on MS Word to make them editable, a trick I learned from a fellow colleague a few weeks ago).

Alvaro Pavié
Alvaro Pavié
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Already *sort of* fixed it. Jun 26, 2019

Susan Welsh wrote:

I just received your post, out of sequence and a day late, for some reason.
On confidentiality, that's up to you - I don't know what NDA you signed, although I don't see how a published magazine article could be considered confidential.
Codezappers is not free (although it's cheap). If you want a copy, you should order it from its creator.

Well, I had no idea CodeZapper was a paid tool, just like the Pro version of TransTools. I did email its creator requesting a copy, but I have yet to hear from him.

Anyways, I sort of fixed the problem with that particular source file and finished the translation. All I have to do now is to check and improve the translation and rearrange the layout of the finished product, so it won't be necessary to send you the file. Thanks for your offer, though.

Alvaro Pavié
Alvaro Pavié
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 26, 2019

Milan Condak wrote:

I created a short presentation:

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2019-06/25/en/00.html

Inserting tags in OmegaT

Un/remove tags in source DOCX

01 TagWipe in DGT-Wizard
02 Source DOCX files
03 Remove tags
04 Insert missing tag
05 Create Target

I hope it help to undestand my way to not arrange formatting of DOCX nannualy.

The topic is "inserting tags" and a process is the same as in previous versions of OmegaT.

Milan

Although I do not get what you're saying a 100%, if I understood you correctly, checking the "remove tags" box from the new project windows does not actually erase the tags and they can be recovered afterwards? What is DGT-Wizard and how is it related to Tagwipe?

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:20
English to Czech
DGT-Wizard and TagWipe Jun 26, 2019

Alvaro Pavié wrote:

Although I do not get what you're saying a 100%, if I understood you correctly, checking the "remove tags" box from the new project windows does not actually erase the tags and they can be recovered afterwards? What is DGT-Wizard and how is it related to Tagwipe?

TagWipe is free software for MS Windows

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2017-12/06/cs/04.html (here are links for more info or download)

(by re-engineering of features was written a script for OmegaT, which breaks a limitation use it only in MS Windows)

a part of DGT-Wizard, also free software for MS Windows

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2017-12/06/cs/00.html

DGT-OmegaT project

You can read more here:

http://ec.europa.eu/translation/portuguese/magazine/pt_magazine_en.htm

Milan

[Edited at 2019-06-26 14:52 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:20
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Yes, well... Jun 26, 2019

Alvaro Pavié wrote:
But isn't the process that you're describing too time-consuming? How long does it take you to convert a PDF into plain text, recreate the layout manually on MS Word and then paste the text into it?

Yes. Well, that is why such jobs should pay more. But if you target clients who don't want to pay more, and who still want something that resembles the original, then you have to spend some money yourself on utilities that perform the conversion for you. I find the converter built into Trados generally does quite a good job (and because it's built into a CAT tool, you can be sure that the converted file is optimised for CAT tool usage).

Wouldn't the resulting file be ridden with tags anyway?

No, if you create a file from scratch, then the only tags in it are the ones you yourself put into it.

On the other hand, I don't know how to convert the PDF into plain text...

How do you convert them to MS Word?

the PDFs I usually get are protected...

Yes, pesky little things. There are various strategies to deal with such files, but if worst comes to worse, you can always take screenshots and OCR the screenshots. (-:

Alvaro Pavié
Alvaro Pavié
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delivered translations. Still having issues though... Jul 7, 2019

Samuel Murray wrote:
Yes, pesky little things. There are various strategies to deal with such files, but if worst comes to worse, you can always take screenshots and OCR the screenshots. (-:

I delivered my translations last week. However, the files gave me a lot of issues despite preparing them manually and using TagWipe afterwards. One of the files had a segment with tags for every single letter. If I get sent the PDFs already converted to .docx files, is it a good idea to clear all formatting of the file, copy the text into a .txt file and then create a new word formatted as closely as possible to the original? The last document I translated had two columns and words were hyphenated; is it wise to do the same in such case?

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Inserting tags on version 4.2.0

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »