Thread poster: Ivã Munhoz
Ivã Munhoz
Ivã Munhoz
Local time: 08:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Mar 29, 2020

This is the same question of this post made in 2013:
https://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/244994-both_source_and_target_in_final_render.html

I am translating a book about Cognitive Linguistics and the translation will be checked by people that are not really acquainted with computers so I want to send them a file containi
... See more
This is the same question of this post made in 2013:
https://www.proz.com/forum/omegat_support/244994-both_source_and_target_in_final_render.html

I am translating a book about Cognitive Linguistics and the translation will be checked by people that are not really acquainted with computers so I want to send them a file containing both the original text
and my translation after each paragraph, alternated, i.e.:

Line with source text
Line with translated text
Line with source text
Line with translated text

and so on. Is it possible today with the newest version of OmegaT?

(btw, I created a new post instead of commenting the above post because it's been 7 years already)
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 13:21
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Ivã Mar 29, 2020

IVÃ APOLONIO MUNHOZ wrote:
Is it possible today with the newest version of OmegaT?

You can get something similar using Tools > Scripting > Write Table. Note that this is a one-way procedure -- there is no simple way to merge edited text back into OmegaT except by editing manually.

Ivã Munhoz
Ivã Munhoz
Local time: 08:21
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
omegat version Mar 29, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:
You can get something similar using Tools > Scripting > Write Table. Note that this is a one-way procedure -- there is no simple way to merge edited text back into OmegaT except by editing manually.

There is no "Write Table" among the scripts of my OmegaT version, which is OmegaT-5.1.0_0_54fc30ee running on Linux. What's yours?

Milan Condak

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
Dowload the script Mar 29, 2020

IVÃ APOLONIO MUNHOZ wrote:

Samuel Murray wrote:

There is no "Write Table" among the scripts of my OmegaT version, which is OmegaT-5.1.0_0_54fc30ee running on Linux. What's yours?

I downloaded this version

https://sourceforge.net/projects/omegatscripts/files/write%20scripts/write_table.groovy/download

and it works. Script creates HTML table: in left column is a source text and the right column is empty = prepared for manual translation outside OmegaT.

My OmegaT is 5.21. for Windows.

If I want to create bilingual table with translation made in OmegaT I convert project_save.tmx to Wordfast Classic TM in TXT format and I delete redundant columns.

Milan

Milan Condak
English to Czech
Virtaal Mar 30, 2020

Munhoz wrote:

1. the translation will be checked by people that are not really acquainted with computers

2. so I want to send them a file containing both the original text and my translation after each paragraph,

The translated bilingual text is in OmegaT in TMX (project_save.tmx or in 3 TMX after creating target translation) or in backed files.

"People that are not really acquainted with computers" can not works with SW and files. You should print a table on the paper and send them for checking.

If they can use PC I recommand to download and install Virtaal. The people will edit target language of TMX in Virtaal. Edited TMX will be used for updating (enforcing) of raw translation to your project_save.tmx.

Before working you should decide whether you will use segmentation by sentence or paragraphs.

Milan

[Edited at 2020-03-30 07:50 GMT]

Milan Condak
English to Czech
I created a new presentation Mar 30, 2020

Post-editing a file containing source and translation

OmegaT, TMX and Virtaal

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/29/en/00.html

01 Files containing source and translation
02 OmegaT, TMX and Virtaal
03 Write table in OmegaT
04 The table for translators
05 Translation of table in OmegaT
06 Creating XLS from TMX
07 Tab
... See more
Post-editing a file containing source and translation

OmegaT, TMX and Virtaal

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-03/29/en/00.html

01 Files containing source and translation
02 OmegaT, TMX and Virtaal
03 Write table in OmegaT
04 The table for translators
05 Translation of table in OmegaT
06 Creating XLS from TMX
07 Table in DOCX
08 Table from XLS

Milan
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

How to create final files containing both source and translation in it

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »