Editing source doc / preventing loss of notes
Thread poster: Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
Apr 14, 2020

I am working on translating a source text where I occasionally have to make a small edit in the .docx source document (the text is extracted from a pdf, so there are extra spaces, hyphenation marks that break up a word, etc.). I have noticed that making an edit in one part of the text, ends up in OmegaT with the loss of translation segments, sometimes seemingly in other places than my edits. This might have to do with formatting tags, I'm not exactly sure yet.

Either way, I would li
... See more
I am working on translating a source text where I occasionally have to make a small edit in the .docx source document (the text is extracted from a pdf, so there are extra spaces, hyphenation marks that break up a word, etc.). I have noticed that making an edit in one part of the text, ends up in OmegaT with the loss of translation segments, sometimes seemingly in other places than my edits. This might have to do with formatting tags, I'm not exactly sure yet.

Either way, I would like it if this didn't happen, because even if I can get back my latest translation using fuzzy matches, and will notice that it has been gone and been replaced (thanks to the prefix), i DO lose my notes associated with the segment.

At this point (the start of a book translation), my notes are more valuable to me than any current, unfinished translation in the translation segment.

I've tried to search the project folder for phrases that I know were in the notes, but it appears that the notes are not retained somewhere. They get deleted when the link between a source segment and a translation is broken by the edits made to the source doc.

What settings would I need to use to prevent this loss of notes?

Any other approaches to this problem?

All help appreciated!
Collapse

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:32
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Search the project Apr 16, 2020

All segments are retained in project_save.tmx with their respective notes. If you change a source file, some segments may become orphans (which you experience). You can find your notes either by opening project_save.tmx in a text editor and finding a relevant orphan segment or searching in project notes from within OmegaT (search a string that either [partially] matches the source text of the orphan segment or the text of the note).

There is no way to avoid such things except for ca
... See more
All segments are retained in project_save.tmx with their respective notes. If you change a source file, some segments may become orphans (which you experience). You can find your notes either by opening project_save.tmx in a text editor and finding a relevant orphan segment or searching in project notes from within OmegaT (search a string that either [partially] matches the source text of the orphan segment or the text of the note).

There is no way to avoid such things except for carefully preparing source documents before your start translation. Neither OmegaT, no other program in the world will do it for you.
Collapse

Milan Condak

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:32
English to Czech
"Tagwipe" the DOCX before translation Apr 16, 2020

esperantisto wrote:

...preparing source documents before your start translation.

http://www.condak.cz/nove/2020-04/15/cs/04.html

04 Skript TagWipe na DOCX v OmegaT

The script Tagwipe "wipes" redundant tags. Edited DOCX remains in subfolder \source\ and backup of original file is in subfolder \tagwipe\.

Milan

esperantisto

Thijs Vissia
Thijs Vissia
Netherlands
TOPIC STARTER
cheers for your answers Apr 16, 2020

Thank you Milan. I am already using Tagwipe before I continue translating (after editing the source doc).

I think Esperantist is probably right, and the source doc should be finalized beforehand. Too bad for me I guess!

As a backup measure, I can use the Write Notes script to save versions of the notes that I have, but it's still easy not to notice if one goes missing. So not really a solution that gives peace of mind without checking different documents and versions.... See more
Thank you Milan. I am already using Tagwipe before I continue translating (after editing the source doc).

I think Esperantist is probably right, and the source doc should be finalized beforehand. Too bad for me I guess!

As a backup measure, I can use the Write Notes script to save versions of the notes that I have, but it's still easy not to notice if one goes missing. So not really a solution that gives peace of mind without checking different documents and versions.

It's probably for the best to just finalize and clean up the source doc, and only incidentally fix an isolated issue.
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Editing source doc / preventing loss of notes

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »