Mark segments as translated
Thread poster: erikdeboeck
erikdeboeck
erikdeboeck
Belgium
Local time: 04:18
Aug 26, 2020

I've got a project in which a lot of terminology will be carried over from English to Dutch. There's an entire chapter explaining the terminology, in which the terms themselves are subtitles.

These titles are all separate segments in OmegaT. But the "translation" will be identical to the source segment.

Is there a way to mark these segments as translated?

I know it's possible to allow source and translation to be the same for the ... See more
I've got a project in which a lot of terminology will be carried over from English to Dutch. There's an entire chapter explaining the terminology, in which the terms themselves are subtitles.

These titles are all separate segments in OmegaT. But the "translation" will be identical to the source segment.

I know it's possible to allow source and translation to be the same for the entire document, but that's not what I want. By merely scrolling through the segments, a lot of them would be marked as translated, which would be a recipe for disaster.

I also don't want to leave the translation field empty, because I always work with the source text as raw material to work with.

Surely I'm not the first one to encounter this problem?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Erik Aug 27, 2020

erikdeboeck wrote:

No.

The solution here is source text preparation. You should edit the original source file so that the source text of each segment would be different from its translation in OmegaT. For example, add the letters DNT ("do not translate") to the start or end of the segment in the original source text. Reload your project, and then translate those segments without the "DNT". Or add "!!!" anywhere in the middle of the segment.

Or, replace all spaces in those segments with an underscore (and add one more just in case you have segments without spaces). This will also prevent those segments from showing up as fuzzy matches elsewhere.

Milan Condak

erikdeboeck
erikdeboeck
Belgium
TOPIC STARTER
@Samuel Aug 27, 2020

I see...

Thanks for your answer, although it's a disappointing one

Maybe an idea for a feature in future versions...?

Jiří Štros
Jiří Štros
Czech Republic
Korean to Czech
+ ...
Solution? Mar 31, 2021

If you right click the identical text, there is a pop-up saying "Register Identical Translation".
I think this is what you were looking for?
Omega 5.4.1

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
English to Czech
In TMX is no field to save a status of translation Mar 31, 2021

Samuel Murray wrote:

erikdeboeck wrote:

No.

A status field is in XLIFF file. OmegaT saves translation into TMX.
I do not remember if there is a workaround, i.e. in DGT-OmegaT.
Some solutions are in team projects - I have no practice with them.

When I translate downloaded web sites, I manually go through each file a I copy source to target segment with links, product and company names. OmegaT shows me segments as translated.

Then I run a script for extracting untranslated segments. Now can I translate with TMX or use MT or my head.

Milan

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Erik Apr 1, 2021

erikdeboeck wrote:

More options:

OmegaT will always write the source text for untranslated segments when creating the target file, unless you right-click the active segment and select "Set empty translation". (This will cause to appear in the editor when the segment is not active, but the segment will be empty when you make it the active segment.) If you **do** want the source text to appear in the final file, but you want the segment to be marked as translated, choose "Register identical translation" when you right-click the segment. "Identical translation" is the OmegaT developers' way of saying "source = target".

How things behave depends on whether Autopropagation is enabled in Project Properties. If Autopropagation is not enabled, each segment can have a unique translation, even if two or more segments are identical to each other. If Autopropagation is enabled, then all identical source segments will always get the same translation, unless you mark individual segments as something different.

When Autopropagation is enabled, two new items will be present in the right-click menu called "Use as Default translation" and "Use as alternative translation". Select "Use as Default translation" if you want the segment's current translation to be (or to become) the translation that is propagated to all other repeating segments that haven't been marked as alternative yet. Use "Use as Alternative translation" if you want the current segment's translation to be unique (i.e. protected against autopropagation from other segments).

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

Mark segments as translated

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »