Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you apply higher rates for urgent/weekend work?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 19, 2010

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you apply higher rates for urgent/weekend work?".

This poll was originally submitted by Siobhan Schoonhoff-Reilly. View the poll results »

Catherine Winzer
Catherine Winzer  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:31
German to English
+ ...
Depends on client and project Mar 19, 2010

For existing clients, I often do urgent/weekend work for the usual price. If it's a new client, I'm more inclined to increase my rate. Sometimes existing clients (agencies) will offer me more because they know it's a demanding job and they're trying to convince me to accept!

Joy Phillips
Joy Phillips
Netherlands
Dutch to English
Rush rates for weekend work, but not always for 'urgent' projects Mar 19, 2010

If a client specifically asks me to translate a fairly large document between Friday late afternoon and Monday early morning, I always charge a rush rate; if I accept the job, it means cancelling plans, arranging extra childcare, etc etc. The markup depends on how large the text is - more words represent a bigger chunk out of my weekend. I should add that I rarely work in the weekend unless the text is absolutely fascinating, or a long-term client asks me as a favour... See more
If a client specifically asks me to translate a fairly large document between Friday late afternoon and Monday early morning, I always charge a rush rate; if I accept the job, it means cancelling plans, arranging extra childcare, etc etc. The markup depends on how large the text is - more words represent a bigger chunk out of my weekend. I should add that I rarely work in the weekend unless the text is absolutely fascinating, or a long-term client asks me as a favour

As far as 'urgent' jobs are concerned, whether or not I charge a higher rate depends on whether it's a regular client whose workflow I know well - and on how fast it's needed. A 500-word press release within two hours, for a client I know well? Probably not. A 1000-word speech within two hours? Even though I could competently translate that number of words within that time, I would have to rearrange my schedule to do so, and may have to ask my proofreader to rearrange her schedule as well. That warrants a higher rate.

I'd be interested to see what other people consider an 'urgent' job - word count, deadlines and so on.
Collapse

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No need in my case Mar 19, 2010

Most of my work comes from or has to do with government administrations, so they're rarely if ever in a hurry (the wheels of justice grind slowly), so that means I don't get many requests for urgent jobs. When I do, "urgent" often times means several days.
That means I just generally say yes and charge my normal rate (already appropriate in my opinion).

As for working on the weekend, I started seeing 24/7 as normal working hours a few years back. It's not because some big bad
... See more
Most of my work comes from or has to do with government administrations, so they're rarely if ever in a hurry (the wheels of justice grind slowly), so that means I don't get many requests for urgent jobs. When I do, "urgent" often times means several days.
That means I just generally say yes and charge my normal rate (already appropriate in my opinion).

As for working on the weekend, I started seeing 24/7 as normal working hours a few years back. It's not because some big bad client is forcing me to work like that; it's my own choice. I also see 24/7 as my personal time, which means I can take a day off whenever I want and do whatever I want, whenever I want to. This past week, I took Monday off and went to see the Alhambra. Since that was my choice, I really can't charge a client extra because now I'll have to work tomorrow (Saturday) to make up the work.
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
English to French
+ ...
No Mar 19, 2010

I no longer accept "urgent" or "rush" jobs. I usually work 7 weekends out of 8, then have a "long week-end" off (9 days this time). Why would I charge extra if that is the way I decide to organise?

IrinaN

Inaki Alvarez
Inaki Alvarez
Spain
English to Spanish
Yes, like most professionals in other sectors Mar 19, 2010

I do not like working on weekends, therefore I charge a large surplus to discourage agencies from assigning me weekend work. Direct clients do not ask for it, unless completely necessary and in that case they are more than happy to pay the higher rate.

Regarding urgent work. I consider urgent if I have to translate more 350 words per hour, or deliver a job that would make me work over 8 hours per day. In this case and if the job is time-feasible, I add a surcharge.

Anot
... See more
I do not like working on weekends, therefore I charge a large surplus to discourage agencies from assigning me weekend work. Direct clients do not ask for it, unless completely necessary and in that case they are more than happy to pay the higher rate.

Regarding urgent work. I consider urgent if I have to translate more 350 words per hour, or deliver a job that would make me work over 8 hours per day. In this case and if the job is time-feasible, I add a surcharge.

Another thing is whether I work on weekends/more than 8 hours per day or not. I am a freelancer and I can schedule my day/week as I please. But this is a business, and yes, I definitely charge a higher rate for anything that forces me to work outside office hours.

[Edited at 2010-03-19 11:16 GMT]
Collapse

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 13:31
English to Russian
+ ...
Other Mar 19, 2010

Urgent or not, weekend or not, you either come to terms with the job offeror and take the job or you decline it if not satisfied.

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 12:31
English to Dutch
+ ...
Other Mar 19, 2010

I don't work weekends, unless it becomes necessary as a result of my own planning (either deliberate or bad).

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
no Mar 19, 2010

My regular clients can ask any translation with any deadline without being charged, as they have proven to be reliable when it is time to pay, and they also guarantee a constant flow of translations. I can also call them and ask for more if I want/need (tax payments require extra work for a coupl of months for example) and they have always been ready to make me feel "safe", so I will never charge a cent extra.

other clients offer an extra-payments when they need a translation for th
... See more
My regular clients can ask any translation with any deadline without being charged, as they have proven to be reliable when it is time to pay, and they also guarantee a constant flow of translations. I can also call them and ask for more if I want/need (tax payments require extra work for a coupl of months for example) and they have always been ready to make me feel "safe", so I will never charge a cent extra.

other clients offer an extra-payments when they need a translation for the following day.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
I charge extra for evening work if the client is in a hurry Mar 19, 2010

At least one of my clients knows I have no small children and can work in the evenings. The PMs ask if I can do rushed jobs sometimes, and offer to pay extra.

That agency does its best to arrange realistic deadlines, and charging extra for rushed jobs is part of their policy. (Like 1000 words coming in at 3 pm for delivery at 8 or 9 the next morning, or a larger job arriving on Friday for delivery on Monday morning.)

Sometimes I mention charging extra to other clients,
... See more
At least one of my clients knows I have no small children and can work in the evenings. The PMs ask if I can do rushed jobs sometimes, and offer to pay extra.

That agency does its best to arrange realistic deadlines, and charging extra for rushed jobs is part of their policy. (Like 1000 words coming in at 3 pm for delivery at 8 or 9 the next morning, or a larger job arriving on Friday for delivery on Monday morning.)

Sometimes I mention charging extra to other clients, but in these global days they can often find someone on the other side of the globe who can do it in normal working hours.
Collapse

Harald Roald
Harald Roald  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Norwegian
+ ...
yes Mar 19, 2010

I sure charge extra for unscheduled extra weekend work, why wouldnt I? Thats quite common in most industries. That said, Im very flexible with clients who give me steady, high volume work. Smaller (or new) clients who call me late Friday afternoon ( it happens quite frequently) for an urgent job to be delivered Monday morning, has to pay for that kind of service. bacause I do try to have a life outside work! Just last weekend I got offered to do 60 000 words in 2 days from an unknown, potential ... See more
I sure charge extra for unscheduled extra weekend work, why wouldnt I? Thats quite common in most industries. That said, Im very flexible with clients who give me steady, high volume work. Smaller (or new) clients who call me late Friday afternoon ( it happens quite frequently) for an urgent job to be delivered Monday morning, has to pay for that kind of service. bacause I do try to have a life outside work! Just last weekend I got offered to do 60 000 words in 2 days from an unknown, potential client who called me Friday 8 PM. I told the agancy they probably should not be in the translation industry at all...Collapse

Barbara Figueroa Savidan
Barbara Figueroa Savidan
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
no extra charges for week-ends... Mar 19, 2010

My timetable is not from Monday to Friday. I am also avalilable on week.ends, but if I do so, I manage myself to have some free time during the week. I am lucky, because my boyfriend is also a freelancer (in another sector), so we can organise our free time and we don't need to have it on week-ends. Maybe tht's why I don't charge for that.

I mean, even if I have to translate on Saturday or Sunday, I go for a walk or meet my friends. Maybe I won't have all the afternoon or the mornin
... See more
My timetable is not from Monday to Friday. I am also avalilable on week.ends, but if I do so, I manage myself to have some free time during the week. I am lucky, because my boyfriend is also a freelancer (in another sector), so we can organise our free time and we don't need to have it on week-ends. Maybe tht's why I don't charge for that.

I mean, even if I have to translate on Saturday or Sunday, I go for a walk or meet my friends. Maybe I won't have all the afternoon or the morning, but I can arrange a couple of hours to "live" And I'll take a free day on Monday, or Tuesday...

For me, this type or schedule (which is not really a schedule, because all days are differents...) is good for me. Somedays maybe I can feel like a "slave" of my job, but I also feel I am really free to organize my life...

[Editado a las 2010-03-19 14:53 GMT]

[Editado a las 2010-03-19 14:53 GMT]
Collapse

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:31
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
Not the same Mar 19, 2010

"Urgent" and "weekend" work are not the same. Usually what is called urgent is not so urgent, and I enjoy working over the weekend.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Depends on client Mar 19, 2010

My regulars, who respect and appreciate my efforts, and pay on time without haggling over my rates, get a 24-7 service 365 days a year.
Others, especially if I feel that they tend to call everything "urgent", which is quite common in this area of Spain, apparently because the general consensus is that if it's not labelled "urgent" then it won't get done in time, may be charged up to 50% extra for "urgent" or weekend jobs, even though (like HH) I quite like working weekends...

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 06:31
SITE FOUNDER
Shameless pitch for translator wiki Mar 19, 2010

Hi all,

Good topic. May I point out that in the wiki article Determining your rates and fees as a translator, the section for "Rush charges" -- which I changed today to read "Rush charges / Charges for weekend work" -- is empty.

Would anyone care to do a first draft of that section, based on the information that has come out of this poll? You might wri
... See more
Hi all,

Good topic. May I point out that in the wiki article Determining your rates and fees as a translator, the section for "Rush charges" -- which I changed today to read "Rush charges / Charges for weekend work" -- is empty.

Would anyone care to do a first draft of that section, based on the information that has come out of this poll? You might write something along the lines of "Many translators will accept work that requires they work weekends, but when they do, most charge extra, at least in some cases. This is in light of the fact that taking on weekend work may require canceling plans, arranging extra childcare, etc. On the other hand, a minority of translators takes the view that their service is offered on a 7-day-a-week basis, and their rates are already set to cover such contingencies."

Of course I could write the first draft for the section (in fact I just did), but I what I am hoping to stimulate is that site members will take ownership of "writing the book" on issues like these for the industry. I have shared my vision on that in the new wiki forum. Please consider participating.
Collapse

Seyedsina Mirarabshahi

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you apply higher rates for urgent/weekend work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »