Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Do You Use Radio Media To Improve Language/Translation Skills?
Thread poster: Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:34
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jul 26, 2020

For example, do you stream radio programs, in the language of their country of origin (think RAI and RFI, among others, for instance), to keep abreast of topics (like Covid-19) that you may be addressing as part of your translation work, and at the same time, to keep up with your listening comprehension of your source languages?

Inter-Tra
Inter-Tra  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:34
Member (2008)
English to Italian
+ ...
Daily training Jul 26, 2020

Sure this is part of every translator/ interpreter daily training.

Josephine Cassar

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Yes, I do Jul 26, 2020

Interesting question, Barbara. I had neglected listening to Radio in my working languages, but have taken it up again. Radio stations like WNYC or KALW from the U.S. and BBC Radio 4 from the UK cover my English part, while FranceInter or RTL Paris are my stations of choice when it Comes to Franch.

I haven't followed up on Polish, shame on me! But I will also have to do that in the near future.

A great Sunday to all the colleagues here!

Ívie souza
Barbara Cochran, MFA

Barbara Cochran, MFA
Barbara Cochran, MFA  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Eva! Jul 26, 2020

I didn't know about RTL, but am listening to it right now, for the first time, as I type.

I like it! Thanks for sharing!

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
Use a VPN for TV Jul 26, 2020

In addition to providing extra internet security, a virtual private network allows me to access television programs not normally accessible outside the broadcast country. For example, I watch German and Austrian series and documentaries on my computer. If I had a smart TV, I could install the software on that device and watch the programs on a wide-screen television set.

Christophe Delaunay
Christophe Delaunay  Identity Verified
France
Spanish to French
+ ...
French radios Jul 26, 2020

Interesting topic.... and yes, I obviously listen to the BBC, NPR, RAI (TV and radio), Radio 3 and many others.

As far as French radios are concerned, RTL is not really la "crème de la crème". France Inter is alright and the Radio France radios in general. France Infos is mainly for news, Fip is mainly world music (one of the best). France Culture is "high-end". RFI is quite interes
... See more
Interesting topic.... and yes, I obviously listen to the BBC, NPR, RAI (TV and radio), Radio 3 and many others.

As far as French radios are concerned, RTL is not really la "crème de la crème". France Inter is alright and the Radio France radios in general. France Infos is mainly for news, Fip is mainly world music (one of the best). France Culture is "high-end". RFI is quite interesting as well.

https://www.franceinter.fr/

https://www.francetvinfo.fr/en-direct/radio.html

https://www.franceculture.fr/

https://www.fip.fr/

https://www.rfi.fr/fr/
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jul 26, 2020

A translator works from the written language and is exposed to the written language all day, and that should be plenty.

I’d rather be exposed to my target language when not working so that my translations continue to be in natural English.

It’s hard enough as it is not to be influenced by my source languages. No wonder translators who live over there tend to write so oddly.

That’s one of the reasons I dictate my translations. My spoken English is mo
... See more
A translator works from the written language and is exposed to the written language all day, and that should be plenty.

I’d rather be exposed to my target language when not working so that my translations continue to be in natural English.

It’s hard enough as it is not to be influenced by my source languages. No wonder translators who live over there tend to write so oddly.

That’s one of the reasons I dictate my translations. My spoken English is more spontaneously natural. Writing and speaking a language are in many ways separate skills, as are reading and listening.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
B D Finch

Eva Stoppa
Eva Stoppa  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
But for listening skills Jul 27, 2020

Christophe Delaunay I have been told by a French Person who is a teacher of German in France, that RTL in France is not what RTL in Germany is, while on the contrary, another French Person -- also a translator, but who lives in Germany, said that Franceculture is rather poche. She recommends Europe1.

Marge Hogarty
Marge Hogarty  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
TV5 Monde Aug 3, 2020

I watch French TV shows, documentaries and films on TV5 Monde. Very helpful. It helps in learning new and current vocabulary.

[Edited at 2020-08-03 17:33 GMT]

Josephine Cassar

Laurela Bruka
Laurela Bruka  Identity Verified
United States
German to English
+ ...
Of course Aug 3, 2020

Yes, it helps me a lot to stay in touch with the new developments in the respective countries. Most of the time, i listen to the radio while doing other activities such as reading, painting etc.

B D Finch
B D Finch  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
Yes, but also to keep in touch with developments in English Aug 4, 2020

I generally listen to French radio, mainly France Inter, but sometimes France Culture. In fact, in order to improve my French I used to listen to France Inter on my car radio driving to and from work when I still lived in England, as the reception in the London area was very good. My radio alarm wakes me up with the news on France Inter.

I listen to a lot of BBC podcasts, especially drama and science podcasts. However, I hardly ever listen to BBC broadcast radio now, because I no lo
... See more
I generally listen to French radio, mainly France Inter, but sometimes France Culture. In fact, in order to improve my French I used to listen to France Inter on my car radio driving to and from work when I still lived in England, as the reception in the London area was very good. My radio alarm wakes me up with the news on France Inter.

I listen to a lot of BBC podcasts, especially drama and science podcasts. However, I hardly ever listen to BBC broadcast radio now, because I no longer like much of it and think the quality of BBC news broadcasts and the Today programme, in particular, has really gone down the pan.

As I don't often listen to music, I listen to the radio or podcasts when washing up or doing the ironing.
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Not much radio Aug 4, 2020

But I watch TV regularly in French, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian and German. Occasionally also in Italian and Danish.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
📺 📺 Aug 4, 2020

Michele Fauble wrote:

But I watch TV regularly in French, Spanish, Swedish, Norwegian and German. Occasionally also in Italian and Danish.

You’ll get square eyes watching that much telly😱😂

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:34
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Time spent watching TV Aug 4, 2020

Chris S wrote:

Michele Fauble wrote:

You’ll get square eyes watching that much telly😱😂

Time spent watching TV has increased because of Covid-19.

Christopher Schröder

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Me too Aug 5, 2020

Kevin Fulton wrote:

In addition to providing extra internet security, a virtual private network allows me to access television PROGRAMMES not normally accessible outside the broadcast country. For example, I watch German and Austrian series and documentaries on my computer. If I had a smart TV, I could install the software on that device and watch the PROGRAMMES on a wide-screen television set.

I too have a VPN, which I use to watch PROGRAMMES from my native Ireland, Italy, and sometimes other countries as well, such as the US. I can watch them on my computer or stream them from my computer to my TV via HDMI.

I find that the modest cost involved is well worth it; last week I watched a feature-length Italian film. In Italian, of course.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do You Use Radio Media To Improve Language/Translation Skills?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »