Roberto Rey
Roberto Rey  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 01:42
Member (2007)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 20, 2020

Was offered a 10-hour a day MTPE review project, reviewing at least 2000 words an hour for the fabulous fee of US $5.00 an hour... what should I do? A whole 5 dollars an hour? Is that too much to ask? Where are these jobs coming from heaven? I was so tempted!

DZiW (X)
Alex Ossa
Philip Lees
María Paula Gorgone
Fahad ibrahim Mohamed
Stepan Konev
Mina Chen

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 03:42
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I do not know/ wordless Apr 20, 2020

Roberto Rey wrote:

Was offered a 10-hour a day MTPE review project, reviewing at least 2000 words an hour for the fabulous fee of US $5.00 an hour... what should I do? A whole 5 dollars an hour? Is that too much to ask? Where are these jobs coming from heaven? I was so tempted!

I never worked fee of US $5.00 an hour. I always work with low rates.

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
My tailor is Apr 20, 2020

Let me see… 20,000 words a day for 50 dollars?

All I can think to say to this is:

"My tailor is rich"*.

*(Famous first phrase from the first Assimil method for English learners.)

[Edited at 2020-04-20 21:26 GMT]

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Fatine Echenique
Catherine Howard

Catherine Howard
Catherine Howard
United States
Local time: 02:42
Portuguese to English
+ ...
I got this fab offer, too, LOL! Apr 20, 2020

Yeah, I got that email offer a couple days ago. Besides the laughable rate, all sorts of requirements for the project were imposed, along with an NDA. Of course, I didn't click on any link in the email lest I get tagged as live bait or download some computer virus (I'm already in confinement to avoid the real one!). The "agency" in question is a Proz.com member who lists, among other "objectives" in their profile, to "learn more about translation," "get help with terminology," "find a mentor," "... See more
Yeah, I got that email offer a couple days ago. Besides the laughable rate, all sorts of requirements for the project were imposed, along with an NDA. Of course, I didn't click on any link in the email lest I get tagged as live bait or download some computer virus (I'm already in confinement to avoid the real one!). The "agency" in question is a Proz.com member who lists, among other "objectives" in their profile, to "learn more about translation," "get help with terminology," "find a mentor," "transition from freelancer to agency owner," and (best of all) "transition from freelancer to another profession" -- I wish they would! The address given in the email, website, and Proz.com profile is one of the most expensive neighborhoods in London, UK. The area code for the phone number on their website is for London, Canada, which no doubt they chose because they don't know the difference between the two. The handful of jobs it has posted in Proz.com are for African languages. Who knows where this scammer is from.

I wish these people would leave us alone and let us do our work!
Collapse

Hedwig Spitzer (X)
Liviu-Lee Roth
Mina Chen

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:42
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
All I can say is... Apr 21, 2020

... wow in the face of such a generous offer. You were lucky they didn't offer you USD 1.00 per hour. So my (not at all serious) advice is, take it before someone else does and then gets rich.

LIZ LI

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 09:42
English to Russian
Did you hear about the WTI crude oil negative price? Apr 21, 2020

If oil producers can afford this, why LSPs can't? LOL
If it goes at this pace, we will pay for work soon...

Mina Chen

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MTPE review for US$ 5.00/hr!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »