Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Announcing surcharge, discount and minimum charge interface - Feedback requested
Thread poster: Andrew
Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
Aug 15, 2008

Hello everyone,

As a part of the developments to our rates system, we've introduced the ability to list your surcharges, discounts, and minimum charges. The forms to add this data to your profile can be found here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=rate_conditions

You'll also be able find a link to this interface from the rates se
... See more
Hello everyone,

As a part of the developments to our rates system, we've introduced the ability to list your surcharges, discounts, and minimum charges. The forms to add this data to your profile can be found here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=rate_conditions

You'll also be able find a link to this interface from the rates section of the profile updater here: http://www.proz.com/?sp=quick_profile#rates

Once you've defined your data, it will appear in the rates section of your profile as shown here.

The box in the above screenshot will only appear when looking at your own profile. Some users have already entered data and I didn't want to disclose that information. I'll be adding some 'visibility' options on the interface so you can control whether or not your rate conditions are displayed to visitors, but until then, we'll play it safe.

I appreciate any feedback you may have.

For the rest of the rates input, I'm working on a format similar to the one announced earlier this year. ( http://www.proz.com/topic/102979 ) I hope to make this available in the coming week.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:25
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
This is a very welcome addition to the profile page Aug 15, 2008

Hi Andrew,

This is a good idea. However, a few months ago there was an announcement about a new, sophisticated way of quoting rates, and a link to it. I clicked on this link and was able to fill in details of different rates for legal, marketing or financial translations, for example. I was looking forward to using this system, and displaying the various individual rates on my profile page. However, after I had filled it all in it did not appear on the profile page and there was no
... See more
Hi Andrew,

This is a good idea. However, a few months ago there was an announcement about a new, sophisticated way of quoting rates, and a link to it. I clicked on this link and was able to fill in details of different rates for legal, marketing or financial translations, for example. I was looking forward to using this system, and displaying the various individual rates on my profile page. However, after I had filled it all in it did not appear on the profile page and there was no further mention of it. Only the old, uninformative rates information is there.

Could we have that interface back, as well, please? Otherwise this addition does not make sense.

Astrid

P.S. Would the general minimum charge in euros also be possible?

[Edited at 2008-08-15 22:06]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:25
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
More standard options Aug 15, 2008

Andrew wrote:

Thank you for implementing this feature. My only objection is that the list of options made available is very short, and there are many more that could be taken on board and shown in the list, as suggestions.

The translators may use them or not, but having them available would produce consistent entries, with the same heading, and make it possible to produce in the near future some statistics.

For example, if many thousand translators enter a surcharge for dealing with documents on paper, or PDF, both of which cause extra work and are somehow time consuming, we could know that the average surcharge for those formats is XX%, and publish this statistical information for the benefit of all parties, translators and outsourcers.

Just for information, my entries for surcharges are the following:

Weekend or rush jobs: (*)
Jobs of high complexity:
Complex formatting:
Handwritten or PDF source document: (**)
Late payment (over 30 days late):
Late payment (over 60 days late):
Late payment (over 90 days late):

(*) I have grouped weekend and rush jobs, under the assumption that they are both related to work done in unsociable hours, but they could be separated in the standard options available and the translators could apply the same surcharge or differentiate between them.
(**) Here again I have grouped two separate types of format, mainly because I do not receive any handwritten or paper document. The two entries could be separated in two standard entries, if they become part of the options available.

I would suggest to monitor closely how the feature is used, and try to provide very soon more options in the interface.

Thank you
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-08-16 14:59]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 15:25
English to French
+ ...
Nice! Aug 15, 2008

Thanks, Andrew, for this welcome addition to our profiles. It feels good to know that ProZ cares about its members and users - this will really come in handy for most of us.

I probably will continue to keep my rates hidden, but this new feature will probably give potential clients an indication of the rate category I belong to. Let's hope this feature will help me get more targeted leads and less spam.

I tried the interface - it is simple, easy to use and works as expec
... See more
Thanks, Andrew, for this welcome addition to our profiles. It feels good to know that ProZ cares about its members and users - this will really come in handy for most of us.

I probably will continue to keep my rates hidden, but this new feature will probably give potential clients an indication of the rate category I belong to. Let's hope this feature will help me get more targeted leads and less spam.

I tried the interface - it is simple, easy to use and works as expected.

However, I have a question. How will this additional information tie into the Connect interface?

[Edited at 2008-08-15 23:32]
Collapse

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
Great development Aug 16, 2008

Hi! Thank you Andrew. The way the market is today, this would have been inevitable. Let us see now how many OS really follow this. BR Brandis

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Aug 16, 2008

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

Could we have that interface back, as well, please?
P.S. Would the general minimum charge in euros also be possible?

I'm currently working to make the interface you've mentioned available. I hope to get this finished very soon.

You can list a general minimum charge in as many difference currencies as you'd like. You can also list minimums specific to a service in several currencies. For example, the following set is possible using this form:

Minimum charge (USD): 55.00 USD
Minimum charge (EUR): 37.50 EUR
Minimum charge (GBP): 29.55 GBP

Minimum charge (USD) for Translation: 65.00 USD
Minimum charge (EUR) for Translation: 44.31 EUR

gianfranco wrote:

I would suggest to monitor closely how the feature is used, and try to provide very soon more options in the interface.

Absolutely! I'll be surveying the entries to come up with the most common options. This way, the form will be driven by the community and not my own judgment.

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

How will this additional information tie into the Connect interface?

You will have control over whether or not your rates and conditions appear in search results. Also, we'd like to allow you to filter notifications of jobs below your defined rates.

Thanks for your thoughts, everyone!

Andrew

USER0059 (X)
USER0059 (X)  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:25
English to Finnish
+ ...
Automatic currency conversion Aug 16, 2008

Andrew wrote:

You can list a general minimum charge in as many difference currencies as you'd like. You can also list minimums specific to a service in several currencies. For example, the following set is possible using this form:

Minimum charge (USD): 55.00 USD
Minimum charge (EUR): 37.50 EUR
Minimum charge (GBP): 29.55 GBP

Is it possible to specify minimums, or other charges, in one currency, and to have the server automatically calculate the equivalent amounts in the viewer's currency (the default currency, and/or any currency chosen at the time of viewing the rates)?

(Of course it should be made very clear that the automatically calculated amounts would be only indicative, not binding.)

Andrew
Andrew
United States
English
TOPIC STARTER
For the time being, improving just conditions announced in first post. Aug 20, 2008

Hello everyone,

I am working on improvements to the minimal charges section and the discounts/surcharges area based on your feedback including the expanded options for the surcharge/discount form and currency conversion. I'll release them shortly.

As for the more sophisticated rates system (discussed here: http://www.proz.com/topic/102979 ), making it work with the rest of the s
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am working on improvements to the minimal charges section and the discounts/surcharges area based on your feedback including the expanded options for the surcharge/discount form and currency conversion. I'll release them shortly.

As for the more sophisticated rates system (discussed here: http://www.proz.com/topic/102979 ), making it work with the rest of the site is somewhat complicated, both technically and in the interface and display. I've discussed it with Henry and we will stop at the two features above for now.

Best Regards,
Andrew
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:25
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Thank you Aug 20, 2008

Thank you Andrew,

Andrew wrote:

The new discounts/surcharges and minimum fees tables are a nice addition,
and adding the automatic currency conversion is really great news.

Andrew wrote:
As for the more sophisticated rates system (discussed here: http://www.proz.com/topic/102979 ), making it work with the rest of the site is somewhat complicated, both technically and in the interface and display. I've discussed it with Henry and we will stop at the two features above for now.

I'm disappointed that the new rates structure is not coming as soon as announced.
The current system with a single figure to express our rate for "everything" is a bit simplistic and it should be upgraded to a more articulated system.

I hope that any technical problem will be overcome soon.

bye
Gianfranco

[Edited at 2008-08-20 01:32]

Nixie Adams, M.A.
Nixie Adams, M.A.
Australia
Local time: 05:25
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Surcharge options Oct 7, 2008

Hi Andrew,

I know I'm a bit late but I've only just used this feature for the first time.

One question/suggestion: Would it be possible to have the option to add a whole number instead of just percentages in the surcharge fields, e.g. in the 'Other' category?

I would, for instance, like to enter a surcharge of, say, €30 for Certifications, but I can only enter percentages in the relevant fields, which does not apply to certifications in my case.
... See more
Hi Andrew,

I know I'm a bit late but I've only just used this feature for the first time.

One question/suggestion: Would it be possible to have the option to add a whole number instead of just percentages in the surcharge fields, e.g. in the 'Other' category?

I would, for instance, like to enter a surcharge of, say, €30 for Certifications, but I can only enter percentages in the relevant fields, which does not apply to certifications in my case.

Alternatively, could 'Certifications' perhaps be added to the list of services provided, then a fixed standard or minimum rate could be specified there instead?

Thanks,

Nicole
Collapse

Kazuyuki OGAWA
Kazuyuki OGAWA  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:25
English to Japanese
+ ...
Lowest USD limit for "Editing/Proofreading" rate Nov 16, 2010

Hi, Andrew

I have never expected such a fascinating function for translators!
I think you really have a deep love for translators!!

Anyway, I tried to enter "0.024" (USD) in selecting a rate for "Editing/Proofreading" (for English-to-Japanese translation), but the system said I coudn't.
Is the rate considered as word-based?
If so, the rate is 0.024 to 0.036 USD (that is, 2 to 3 JPY) per word in Japan.

So, could you kindly consider extendi
... See more
Hi, Andrew

I have never expected such a fascinating function for translators!
I think you really have a deep love for translators!!

Anyway, I tried to enter "0.024" (USD) in selecting a rate for "Editing/Proofreading" (for English-to-Japanese translation), but the system said I coudn't.
Is the rate considered as word-based?
If so, the rate is 0.024 to 0.036 USD (that is, 2 to 3 JPY) per word in Japan.

So, could you kindly consider extending the lowest USD limit to 0.02 USD?

Lots of thanks and Kindest Regards,
Kazuyuki OGAWA
Collapse

Alexandra Pirotte (X)
Alexandra Pirotte (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
A bug? Mar 21, 2011

Hi,

When I click on the "set" button to confirm a minimum charge, I am redirected to a page displaying this code:

{"is_success":true,"ok_msg":["Updated minimum charge visibility"],"ok_msg_html":"
OK.Updated minimum charge visibility
","action":"save_mincharge_vis","debug_msg":null,"data":[]}

I guess this is not supposed to happen

Best regards,

Alex

Lucia Leszinsky
Lucia Leszinsky
SITE STAFF
Referred to internal development Mar 21, 2011

Hello Alex,

Thanks for reporting this.

I was able to reproduce the error message you receive when clicking on "Set" at http://www.proz.com/?sp=rate_conditions . Let me refer this to internal development to have it fixed.

I appreciate your patience.

Kind regards,

Lucía

Alexandra Pirotte (X)
Alexandra Pirotte (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to French
+ ...
No problem Mar 21, 2011

Hi Lucía,

You're welcome.

Best regards,

Alex

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 19:25
German to English
+ ...
Set button is definitely buggy Mar 26, 2011

Click it and the following is displayed:

{"is_success":true,"ok_msg":["Updated minimum charge visibility"],"ok_msg_html":"
OK.Updated minimum charge visibility
","action":"save_mincharge_vis","debug_msg":null,"data":[]}

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Announcing surcharge, discount and minimum charge interface - Feedback requested

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »