Thread poster: Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 16:13
English to Russian
+ ...
Dec 7, 2017

Is there any option to not receive notifications for job posts from certain countries? Thank you!

sdvplatt

Saleh Chowdhury, Ph.D.
Saleh Chowdhury, Ph.D.  Identity Verified
Bangladesh
Local time: 20:13
Member (2004)
English to Bengali
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I'm also looking for such a filter Dec 7, 2017

I'm also looking for such a filter! There are a very few countries from where almost 99% agencies ask for providing "best rates" and some agencies of those countries keep posting jobs over and over again. I saw more than 10 jobs posted by the same agency in the same pair in a given month!!

Please implement a filter so that we can avoid those countries.

sdvplatt

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Something tells me Dec 7, 2017

that there is no (and there will be no) such filter here...

sdvplatt

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 10:13
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I asked for this long time ago Dec 7, 2017

I agree with this need, and I have asked for this multiple times.
I would even be happy with a half-solution, which would be to include the job poster's country in the notification email, so that I would not have to go to the website and open the job post just to see that it is from one of those countries which I normally avoid.

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Will there be any input from the site staff? Dec 7, 2017

Will there be any input from the site staff?

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Seems reasonable enough Dec 7, 2017

Katalin Horváth McClure wrote:

I agree with this need, and I have asked for this multiple times.
I would even be happy with a half-solution, which would be to include the job poster's country in the notification email, so that I would not have to go to the website and open the job post just to see that it is from one of those countries which I normally avoid.

In my own case, the only country that I have found to be consistently associated with obscenely low offers is India. Given that, in many cases, the name of the agency does not appear to be Indian, I sometimes discovered the location of the sender only after visiting the agency’s website, or after accepting someone as a contact on Skype or LinkedIn.

I am sure that Katalin and I are not the only ones who find this annoying. It is also a waste of time for the senders.

steven tu

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Standard job posts do have the country of the poster Dec 7, 2017

Robert Forstag wrote:

Given that, in many cases, the name of the agency does not appear to be Indian, I sometimes discovered the location of the sender only after visiting the agency’s website, or after accepting someone as a contact on Skype or LinkedIn.

Robert, I think you may be talking about emails you are getting directly through your profile or the directory. The OP and I are talking about the standard notification emails that link to the public job board.
Jobs posted their include "Poster country: XXX", so it is clearly there and it would be easy to include that information in the job notification email, or filter the email notifications based on that.
I am not sure what standardized info is required from outsourcers to enter when using the other, more direct contact methods, so it may not be as simple to include that in the email.

[Edited at 2017-12-07 16:13 GMT]

Oksana Weiss
Oksana Weiss  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:13
Member (2011)
German to English
+ ...
It would be interesting Dec 11, 2017

I am mostly tempted to send job offers coming from proz directly into the bin. But I always have to check the country they are coming from because I do not see it in the e-mail notifications. So it would be helpful to have this option of opting out some countries before the job notifications are sent.

Vadim Kadyrov
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Deafening silence... Dec 11, 2017

Is there anyone at proz.com to clarify the issue?

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
best rate Dec 11, 2017

It would be even better if we could simply filter out all mails containing the words "best rate" surely? Even though I agree about the offers from India, it sounds very discriminatory to refuse all agencies from a particular country. And there are other people who systematically ask for our best rate too.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:13
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
MUST have Trados; translation skills are optional Dec 11, 2017

Over the years, Proz has taught me to sniff despicable rates from across the globe. Though I've never taken a job from India or China, I've been trained to immediately spot bottom-feeders from most countries, including the USA, UK, and my own, Brazil. I delete such offers pronto.

However I often feel it is a waste of time reading an entire decent-sounding job post, before discovering the final message, which states something to the tune of "Our ONLY requirement is that you MUST have
... See more
Over the years, Proz has taught me to sniff despicable rates from across the globe. Though I've never taken a job from India or China, I've been trained to immediately spot bottom-feeders from most countries, including the USA, UK, and my own, Brazil. I delete such offers pronto.

However I often feel it is a waste of time reading an entire decent-sounding job post, before discovering the final message, which states something to the tune of "Our ONLY requirement is that you MUST have Trados; we don't care so much about your language and/or translation skills. If you don't have Trados, please don't you ever dare to bother us with anything, we don't like you!"

As this unexplainable standpoint is quite common, I don't want to see any job posts prioritizing the ownership of Trados over my ability as a translator. AMOF this is one of the reasons why I don't - and won't ever - have Trados.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Email bombing Dec 11, 2017

Oksana Weiss wrote:
I am mostly tempted to send job offers coming from proz directly into the bin...

I seem to understand that many receive alerts for new job offers that fit their criteria in their inbox.
But you can opt out of those notifications and don't receive ANY job board alerts in "Job email settings". You check the job board at your own pace from the proz.com webpage and that's it.

That's what I do. I've never quite understood why you should need to reply to an offer within 57 seconds anyway, whatever the country, unless of course having nothing else to do is an eligibility criterium.
I don't lose time and my frustration levels are kept low.

You still receive offers from people ticking your profile entry in the Directory and from people who contact you directly through your profile, but putting all notifications to OFF will likely make a difference already.
You can then set your own spam filter to block out repeating offenders.

Philippe

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 14:13
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
I approach it very differently Dec 11, 2017

Philippe Etienne wrote:
many receive alerts for new job offers that fit their criteria in their inbox.
But you can opt out of those notifications and don't receive ANY job board alerts in "Job email settings". You check the job board at your own pace from the proz.com webpage and that's it.

That's what I do. I've never quite understood why you should need to reply to an offer within 57 seconds anyway, whatever the country, unless of course having nothing else to do is an eligibility criterium.
I don't lose time and my frustration levels are kept low.

I receive notifications but I don't feel they're wasting my time. I have to look at my inbox many times every day anyway. I do get a lot of emails, but I use filters to automatically categorise and prioritise them to some extent. My procedure is:

- Deal with emails from clients or potential clients first, of course.
- Tick and delete en bloc all emails (job notifications included) that I'm not really interested in. I binned 39 unopened job notifications in the past month.
- Open potentially interesting job notifications. Deletion often occurs swiftly because once open I can some specific requirements, e.g. delivery deadline, subject area(s), software requirements...
- Occasionally, I'll click on the link and bring ProZ.com up in another tab (to look at when I have time). I read then binned 41 job notifications in the past month. I don't know how many I looked at on the site, but not that many.

I do the same with forum notifications. In fact, I very rarely visit my home page on the ProZ.com site. I access the site via a direct link each time, for a specific purpose. If anything, I'd have thought going to the home page and browsing through all the jobs listed there would take longer. I'm not sure I'd often get round to it. Apart from anything else there's a risk of looking at some jobs for a second time (when you get to my age, anyway).

I agree that it would be great to have more information about the poster in the notification email. But I wouldn't want to filter that way personally. After all, I have a great client who's from and operates in China but pays my rates without a quibble . Mind you, my one job for an Indian agency was a total disaster .

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
+ ...
Job posts from certain countries Dec 12, 2017

Due diligence:
Over time I have learned to ignore translation requests from certain countries and regions, namely:
Eastern Europe, Russia, Middle East, Indo-Pak, Mainland China and Taiwan.
Another caveat is that a number of agencies based in the West (particularly London) are staffed by people from these regions and the rates are correspondingly low.
A useful proz.com feature is the indication that: "the fee offered is 80 % less than the fee regularly charged".

Katalin Horváth McClure
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
The original topic/request is about job notifications Dec 20, 2017

Michael Newton wrote:

Due diligence:
Over time I have learned to ignore translation requests from certain countries and regions, namely:
Eastern Europe, Russia, Middle East, Indo-Pak, Mainland China and Taiwan.
Another caveat is that a number of agencies based in the West (particularly London) are staffed by people from these regions and the rates are correspondingly low.
A useful proz.com feature is the indication that: "the fee offered is 80 % less than the fee regularly charged".

Yes, Michael, many of us are thinking the same way.
However, the point of the OP is that in order to check the country of the outsourcer, it is not enough to read the notification email. We cannot decide whether to ignore the email just based on what is currently in the email. We have to click on the link in the email, go to the ProZ website and read the full job post.
The question/request we are discussing here is to have a filter for the notifications, or if that is not possible, at least include the country in the notification email so that we could filter it on our end.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Don`t want to see job posts from certain countries

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »