Tamer Mekhimar  Identity Verified
Egypt
Local time: 07:24
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Mar 29, 2009

Hi all;
Would please help in how can I check Word and Excel as RTL?
What I mean is I would just know how to check the files' display correctly as a RTL language.
Thanks.

[Edited at 2009-03-29 16:28 GMT]

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 06:24
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
What do you mean "display correctly"? Mar 29, 2009

Displaying RTL documents that came from non-RTL source or not in a fully RTL program can be very problematic.

You should know the language in order to be sure it is displayed correctly.

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More details Mar 29, 2009

Hi Yossi;
I did not get you. Would you elaborate?
Thanks.

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Some examples Mar 29, 2009

I have a client that gives me TTX files to translate, and he generate a DOC file from them. When he send the DOCs, the Hebrew is all messed up and I have to format it to proper RTL.

On the other hand, sometimes I translate XML files and the client opens them in a program that does not support RTL, and of course he sees everything messed up.

Now, in order to check if the text layout is properly RTLed, you should know the language. There are almost no "rules" you can foll
... See more
I have a client that gives me TTX files to translate, and he generate a DOC file from them. When he send the DOCs, the Hebrew is all messed up and I have to format it to proper RTL.

On the other hand, sometimes I translate XML files and the client opens them in a program that does not support RTL, and of course he sees everything messed up.

Now, in order to check if the text layout is properly RTLed, you should know the language. There are almost no "rules" you can follow (except maybe for right alignment) in order to know that the layout of the RTL text is correct.
Collapse

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 29, 2009

Thanks Yossi for your help.

Steve Booth
Steve Booth  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:24
English to Arabic
+ ...
Right to left Mar 30, 2009

Changing to right align does not make the text run from right to left the icon you need is in this link
http://www.proz.com/forum/arabic/130798-how_to_insert_english_words_into_arabic_text_using_word_2007.html

if you do not have the icon visible then you can add it easily enough

this is howto correct
... See more
Changing to right align does not make the text run from right to left the icon you need is in this link
http://www.proz.com/forum/arabic/130798-how_to_insert_english_words_into_arabic_text_using_word_2007.html

if you do not have the icon visible then you can add it easily enough

this is howto correctlly make the text rtl however changing stuff to rtl if its isn't can mess it up as can changing it from rtl
Collapse

Tamer Mekhimar
Egypt
Member (2009)
English to Arabic
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Mar 31, 2009

Thanks Emandan. It really helpful.

mutarjem
mutarjem  Identity Verified
English to Arabic
+ ...
Tageditor does not support Italic text in Arabic language Oct 14, 2009

Dear Colleagues,

As the title suggests, Tageditor displays italic text in Arabic as boxes!! You can find a PDF detailing this issue at:

www.atg2ftp.com/italic.pdf

Any smart fix for this, as this is really a pain!!!

Thanks a lot.

Sam

Yossi Rozenman
Germany
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Edit the DTD file Oct 14, 2009

You can edit the way text between tags is formatted in TagEditor. This is done through the DTD file settings.

1. In TagEditor, close all open documents and from the menu choose Tools -> Tag Settings.
2. From the list select the problematic DTD file and click Properties.
3. Select the Elements tab.
4. Select the tag that is making the problem (cf in this case, I think) and click Properties.
5. Select the Formatting tab and ch
... See more
You can edit the way text between tags is formatted in TagEditor. This is done through the DTD file settings.

1. In TagEditor, close all open documents and from the menu choose Tools -> Tag Settings.
2. From the list select the problematic DTD file and click Properties.
3. Select the Elements tab.
4. Select the tag that is making the problem (cf in this case, I think) and click Properties.
5. Select the Formatting tab and change the formatting as desired (you probably will have to change the font).
6. Click OK all the way back.

In order for the change to take effect, you will have to open the original file again in TagEditor and save it as TTX.

HTH
Collapse

There is no moderator assigned specifically to this forum.
To report site rules violations or get help, please contact site staff »

RTL Language

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »