Avira is the best to my knowledge

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:10
German to English
+ ...
three good ones, and your brain! Jan 15, 2017

The anti-virus software that seems to be best, to judge from the comments and reviews I have seen in the computer (or consumer) press, is Kaspersky, Avira and AVG. And, of course, your computer should also have a good firewall that monitors both incoming and outgoing connections; I use ZoneAlarm which I like because reviews said it is a good firewall, and it has (but not in the latest versions) a traffic meter which shows, on the taskbar, an approximate indication of the movement of data into or... See more
The anti-virus software that seems to be best, to judge from the comments and reviews I have seen in the computer (or consumer) press, is Kaspersky, Avira and AVG. And, of course, your computer should also have a good firewall that monitors both incoming and outgoing connections; I use ZoneAlarm which I like because reviews said it is a good firewall, and it has (but not in the latest versions) a traffic meter which shows, on the taskbar, an approximate indication of the movement of data into or out from the computer. (I think the Windows firewall in Windows XP can only monitor incoming connections and later ones can do both directions.)

In my experience the most important anti-virus protection is the one inside your head, i.e. your brain! Unfortunately, your first reaction to any email must always be to ask "Is this really what it claims to be?" I often receive emails that say something about an order or a delivery and ask me to look at the attachment for details. I think such an attachment (typically a .exe, .zip or .docm file) usually contains a virus and I never open (i.e. execute) them. I occasionally download one from the email to my computer, find it with the file (Windows) explorer, right click it and select "Scan with AVG" from the pop-up menu. The anti-virus will then often report that it contains a virus, e.g.:
VBS/Downloader.Agent.24_2 or
Trojan horse Crypt5.TLG or
Trojan horse Generic_s.EVL
That last one was in an email I received on 23 June 2015, but was not recognised by AVG until its database update on 25 June.
(Yes, I keep a little information about a few of these, as a kind of museum of [attempted] crime.)
Of course, once I have done the scan with the anti-virus I then delete the downloaded file, taking extra care that I don't accidentally execute it by double clicking.

Example "Subject:" lines of these emails are:
A/C 0000013036 - Overdue Invoice
Your Google invoice is ready
Thank you for scheduling your online payment
You have received a voice mail
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 07:10
German to English
+ ...
In my book Jan 16, 2017

the best antivirus available is ESET NOD32 antivirus. I have tried McAfee (a sheer nightmare and uninstallable to boot), Kaspersky, and Norton and do not like them.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Defender vs. Others Jan 16, 2017

The problem is the initial and primary WD goal is still 'anti-piracy', not a comprehensive anti-malware protection; although it's getting better, this is rather awkward and limited for more demanding/advanced users.

On the other hand, if your workflow and habits are moderately safe (UAC, VPN, occasionally installing certified software and working behind a robust hardware router), then it could be an optimal/baseline solution, because it's not too hassling, yet still annoying.
... See more
The problem is the initial and primary WD goal is still 'anti-piracy', not a comprehensive anti-malware protection; although it's getting better, this is rather awkward and limited for more demanding/advanced users.

On the other hand, if your workflow and habits are moderately safe (UAC, VPN, occasionally installing certified software and working behind a robust hardware router), then it could be an optimal/baseline solution, because it's not too hassling, yet still annoying.

As for me. the big problem is (1) data leakage threats (requires zero-day-aware HIPS and a strong firewall), the real system prevention (2) as a sandbox, and (3) all the Internet input/output rules (which software could do what), that's why WD w/firewall is no option.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-security/windows-10-windows-defender-vs-other-third-party/37c133c8-c779-4336-b48a-4390dbcc5ba1
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

recommendations for an anti-virus software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »