Beware of a recruiting email: "TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER REMOTE POSITION"
Thread poster: Ellen Whiting
Ellen Whiting
Ellen Whiting
Local time: 15:16
English to Czech
+ ...
Dec 11, 2019

I have received two virtually identical recruiting emails in the last few days, saying they saw my profile on the American Translators Association website and encouraging me to apply for a remote translator/interpreter job; one with Macmillan Publishers, and the second with Dynabilt Technologies. They tell you to contact the HR person for an on-line interview on Google Hangouts, and they give you an email address that goes to someone else. I did respond to the first one. Fortunately, I did not s... See more
I have received two virtually identical recruiting emails in the last few days, saying they saw my profile on the American Translators Association website and encouraging me to apply for a remote translator/interpreter job; one with Macmillan Publishers, and the second with Dynabilt Technologies. They tell you to contact the HR person for an on-line interview on Google Hangouts, and they give you an email address that goes to someone else. I did respond to the first one. Fortunately, I did not suffer any loss; they merely wasted a little bit of my time. Do not respond to them.Collapse

Yolanda Broad
Matthias Hirsh
Michael Kowalewski
Thyara Larrañaga
internationally
Stephanie Kantorski

Matthias Hirsh
Matthias Hirsh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:16
Japanese to English
Got the Macmillan one the other day Dec 24, 2019

Ellen Whiting wrote:

I have received two virtually identical recruiting emails in the last few days, saying they saw my profile on the American Translators Association website and encouraging me to apply for a remote translator/interpreter job; one with Macmillan Publishers, and the second with Dynabilt Technologies. They tell you to contact the HR person for an on-line interview on Google Hangouts, and they give you an email address that goes to someone else. I did respond to the first one. Fortunately, I did not suffer any loss; they merely wasted a little bit of my time. Do not respond to them.

I was just about to report this same scam! Was your person “Kristen Pecci?”

Ellen Whiting
Ellen Whiting
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beware of a recruiting email: "TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER REMOTE POSITION" Dec 24, 2019

Yes, that was it.

Johanne Raynault
Johanne Raynault  Identity Verified
English to French
MacMillan Publishers Jan 9, 2020

Thank you colleagues, you have just prevented me from wasting more time with Kirsten Pecci. Cheers!

mommy8213gma

Ellen Whiting
Ellen Whiting
English to Czech
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beware of a recruiting email: "TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER REMOTE POSITION" Jan 9, 2020

I think Kristen Pecci is legitimate (she is on LinkedIn), but the "recruiting email" uses her name fraudulently. It gives you a false email for her, so if you respond to it, you are responding to a scammer who is pretending to be her. Unless perhaps her profile on LinkedIn is also a scam. I tried contacting her via LinkedIn and did not get a reply.

[Edited at 2020-01-09 16:47 GMT]

Liviu-Lee Roth
mommy8213gma

internationally
internationally
United States
Avoid Kristen Pecci-Macmillan Scam Apr 11, 2020

I just "applied," "interviewed," and "accepted" a job allegedly offered to me by an HR representative at Macmillan Publishers named Kristen Pecci.

I looked "Pecci" up on LinkedIn and found her profile, which had the same profile photo as the email account I was "applying" to, which profile someone else on this thread suggested might be fake. The scammers were using the email address <
... See more
I just "applied," "interviewed," and "accepted" a job allegedly offered to me by an HR representative at Macmillan Publishers named Kristen Pecci.

I looked "Pecci" up on LinkedIn and found her profile, which had the same profile photo as the email account I was "applying" to, which profile someone else on this thread suggested might be fake. The scammers were using the email address [email protected] and I interacted with a "tech" guy named Constantin Greco with a US phone that had an Atlanta area code.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm for anyone who might be wondering that this is, in fact, a job scam.

During the "onboarding and training" process, first they sent me a "salary advance" check as a .pdf and told me to deposit it. Then I was asked to send them $1250 for insurance and shipping costs for job-related equipment.

Stay safe!
Collapse

mommy8213gma

Elena Aclasto
Elena Aclasto  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:16
English to Italian
+ ...
same request, different name Jun 25, 2020

I received a request from Dynabilt, they said they had found my name on the IATA association and offered me an online remote position as a translator. If I was interested I had to state YES in my reply and they would have contacted me with further details.
I did it, and as a reply I received another email where I was requested to write to the Human Resource manager Mr Mike Allstott to this
... See more
I received a request from Dynabilt, they said they had found my name on the IATA association and offered me an online remote position as a translator. If I was interested I had to state YES in my reply and they would have contacted me with further details.
I did it, and as a reply I received another email where I was requested to write to the Human Resource manager Mr Mike Allstott to this address [email protected].

I sensed something was not right since a company rarely uses gmail as account, all the more because their first email was coming from
[email protected].

I searched online if this could be a scam and landed here.
Bingo.

Thanks for your posts and beware of this guys, too, then!

Elena
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Marion Scheulenburg
Marion Scheulenburg
Venezuela
English to German
+ ...
I just had a nice time with Mac Millan Publisher - They changes the name Jul 22, 2020

I just had a nice time with Mac Millan Publisher - They changes the name. Now its Jeremy Guédez from Mac Millan.
The Email they use is: [email protected]
Be careful!

Liviu-Lee Roth

mommy8213gma
mommy8213gma
United States
[email protected] Jul 27, 2020

I just wasted my time doing an “interview” for an editor position with Macmillan. “Jeremy” contacted me via Upwork for a position and sent me a check via email asking me to pay for a MacBook Pro from some unnamed Vendor! BEWARE THIS IS A SCAM!

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 17:16
English to Russian
+ ...
I'll skip the title Jul 29, 2020

I'd guess that the editor position with Macmillan would require not just a proper translator's resume but a few extras too. Nothing special, only little things like, say, a name in the publishing world, publications, awards, various literary board memberships, professorships, peer recommendations etc etc before one could be sought after as one of the future rulers of the world of global reading.

Maybe I'm wrong.

If someone were to tell me a couple of years ago that suc
... See more
I'd guess that the editor position with Macmillan would require not just a proper translator's resume but a few extras too. Nothing special, only little things like, say, a name in the publishing world, publications, awards, various literary board memberships, professorships, peer recommendations etc etc before one could be sought after as one of the future rulers of the world of global reading.

Maybe I'm wrong.

If someone were to tell me a couple of years ago that such scam could be pulled at all...

[Edited at 2020-07-30 18:38 GMT]
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Stephanie Kantorski
Stephanie Kantorski  Identity Verified
United States
French to English
They are still at it Aug 3, 2020

Just got this email this morning from the same knuckleheads (I'm thinking of a different word for them, though...).

Dear Translator/Interpreter,

After a quick review of your profile on The Northern California Translators Association, I write to present Custom Pharma Services Job Offer. Custom Pharma Services is always looking for outstanding individuals willing to participate and actively support the company's positive business development. If you enjoy w
... See more
Just got this email this morning from the same knuckleheads (I'm thinking of a different word for them, though...).

Dear Translator/Interpreter,

After a quick review of your profile on The Northern California Translators Association, I write to present Custom Pharma Services Job Offer. Custom Pharma Services is always looking for outstanding individuals willing to participate and actively support the company's positive business development. If you enjoy working in a highly motivated team and possess skills as well as experience to enhance Custom Pharma Services technology and business, this position is for you. Our flexible working environment had helped us build a dynamic and inclusive workplace that operates on trust and respect and allows you to live the life you want to live. We’re in search of individuals, companies irrespective of the current business type for an Interpreting job position.

As a responsible company, we act where the needs are greatest and where we can have maximum impact. Together, with our employees and partners, we help provide better health for all.

COMPANY: Custom Pharma Services.
Job Name: Translator/Interpreter
Job Type: Part-Time, Full-Time (Freelancer).
Hourly Rate: $80/Hour
Training Rate: $75/Hour.

Principal Duties and Responsibilities:

* Provide correct, clear and concise translations.

* Provide translations that are formatted in a way that they can be matched up to the original documentation that was submitted.

* Provide legible word counts for all translated documents.

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

You've been assigned to Mr. [name removed] Braxton (Hiring Coordinator) of Custom Pharma Services, he would be conducting an online interview with you.

If interested, follow the steps below to schedule your interview session:

To contact him, set up a screen name with Gmail hangout (www.hangouts.google.com) and add up the Company Hiring Coordinator's hangouts on his Google ID (braxton[name removed][email protected]) and instant message him for more you need to know and job details.

Interview Scheduled: Mondays - Fridays
Venue: Online Via Google Hangout
Time : 9:00 AM-6:00 PM EST
Training is available.

Your verification code is (CPS/TRA_09_50). This would serve as your identification number throughout the online hiring process. This is an online work from home and working hours are flexible.

Your swift and timely response matters a lot as this is an immediate hire position... We look forward to having you on the team.

Yours Sincerely,
[name removed by me],
Director Human Resources,

Custom Pharma Services

www.custompharma.co.uk
Collapse

yugoslavia
yugoslavia
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
I got a similar message but by phone text message. Aug 4, 2020

I got also a similar text message but the person who wrote to me was offering a translator job position with an accounting firm,Please contact me if you want more details. I think they are scammers.

Yugoslavia

Arturo Delgado
Arturo Delgado  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Thanks for the Warning Aug 4, 2020

I just got the same email from Dynabilt Human Resource department.
Thanks for the warning.
Arturo

Richard Reynolds
Richard Reynolds
United States
Not Just Translators Jul 24, 2021

She's (if it's a she, and I doubt it) has branched out and is now recruiting writers for a supposed on-line writers' conference. I made an inquiry at Macmillan Publishing and received the following reply:
Macmillan Compliance
Thu, Jul 22, 4:02 PM (2 days ago)
to Macmillan

Hello,

Thank for reaching out regarding the email you received about the Creative Writing and Poetry Conference. We are writing to let you know that it was a scam and
... See more
She's (if it's a she, and I doubt it) has branched out and is now recruiting writers for a supposed on-line writers' conference. I made an inquiry at Macmillan Publishing and received the following reply:
Macmillan Compliance
Thu, Jul 22, 4:02 PM (2 days ago)
to Macmillan

Hello,

Thank for reaching out regarding the email you received about the Creative Writing and Poetry Conference. We are writing to let you know that it was a scam and not a legitimate communication from our Human Resources team.

Sincerely,

Macmillan Ethics & Compliance
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Beware of a recruiting email: "TRANSLATOR/INTERPRETER REMOTE POSITION"

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »