Thread poster: Alex Reznikov
Alex Reznikov
Alex Reznikov
United States
Local time: 06:03
English to Russian
+ ...
May 2, 2020

Something new. Today, May 2, 2020, I was contacted by someone named Saray Zulema at [email protected] about my availability to translate a 11518-word (31 pages) document entitled "Analytical paper on the economic scale and growth of the collaborative economy France". The document is avai... See more
Something new. Today, May 2, 2020, I was contacted by someone named Saray Zulema at [email protected] about my availability to translate a 11518-word (31 pages) document entitled "Analytical paper on the economic scale and growth of the collaborative economy France". The document is available on Internet: https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/2acb7619-b544-11e7-837e-01aa75ed71a1). I responded positively about my availability but requested some specific information about both the requester and the project. The answer was well predicted: "Good then. I already discussed with my sponsor about this and was told to send your details so they can get 75% of the payment to you via check and send you the balance as soon as you are done. Kindly get back to me with the details below so they can mail out a check to you for your payment by Monday.

Full Name:
Mailing Address:
Cell number:"
My inquiries were ignored altogether.
Nothing new. It is obvious a scam but with a new "source document involved."(I was unable to find a similar case thought searched the "Scam" forum thoroughly). Please take a note of this and be vigilant!
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

Aline Amorim
Aline Amorim  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam May 3, 2020

Alex Reznikov wrote:

Something new. Today, May 2, 2020, I was contacted by someone named Saray Zulema at [email protected] about my availability to translate a 11518-word (31 pages) document entitled "Analytical paper on the economic scale and growth of the collaborative economy France". The document is available on Internet: https://op.europa.eu/en/publication-detail/-/publication/2acb7619-b544-11e7-837e-01aa75ed71a1). I responded positively about my availability but requested some specific information about both the requester and the project. The answer was well predicted: "Good then. I already discussed with my sponsor about this and was told to send your details so they can get 75% of the payment to you via check and send you the balance as soon as you are done. Kindly get back to me with the details below so they can mail out a check to you for your payment by Monday.

Full Name:
Mailing Address:
Cell number:"
My inquiries were ignored altogether.
Nothing new. It is obvious a scam but with a new "source document involved."(I was unable to find a similar case thought searched the "Scam" forum thoroughly). Please take a note of this and be vigilant!

Hello Alex,
Thank you very much for share this information.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 11:03
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Alex May 3, 2020

I’ve always wondered why they think that we will fall more easily for a long project than a short one…

María Paula Gorgone

Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
I think... May 3, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

I’ve always wondered why they think that we will fall more easily for a long project than a short one…

...it’s because the scammers rightly assume that the prospect of earning a lot of money is more likely to lead to their targets letting their guard down. It makes sense to me.

Best to all!

Morano El-Kholy
Kevin Fulton
Liviu-Lee Roth

Ana dos Santos
Ana dos Santos
New Zealand
Local time: 22:03
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Scam May 5, 2020

Sorry guys, I'm new to the translating field and wondering what is the scam about?? What are they aiming to achieve?

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Robert May 5, 2020

"Rightly assume"? When a long project from a new potential client happens to drop suddenly into my inbox I just see red flags over red flags. Maybe that’s why I haven’t been scammed before…

Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Ana May 5, 2020

There are all sorts of translation scams. The overpayment is probably the most common. Please check here:

http://wiki.proz.com/wiki/index.php/Translator_scam_alert_reports?text=Site

Liviu-Lee Roth
Liviu-Lee Roth
United States
Romanian to English
+ ...
As Teresa mentioned, May 5, 2020

Ana dos Santos wrote:

Sorry guys, I'm new to the translating field and wondering what is the scam about?? What are they aiming to achieve?

It is an overpayment scam. No matter what you reply, they would copy/paste a preset answer telling you that you will receive the payment by a "certified cashier's check". A few days later you get the check, usually sent by FedEx, and the amount is waaay over the amount you asked for your translation. Soon thereafter you get a "desperate" message that the stupid secretary made a mistake, that the sponsor changed his mind, etc. and ask you to deposit the check and return the difference by MoneyGram. The check is fake and unfortunately, there are tellers who don't spot the fake.

Stay safe,
lee

Robert Forstag
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
@Teresa May 5, 2020

Teresa Borges wrote:

"Rightly assume"? When a long project from a new potential client happens to drop suddenly into my inbox I just see red flags over red flags. Maybe that’s why I haven’t been scammed before…

Me too.

But these are scams that seem to obviously target the inexperienced, naïve, and gullible. And for said targets, the prospect of a big payday is more likely to elicit a response of interest than, say, the offer to translate a birth certificate for thirty bucks.

In addition, proposing a job involving a larger dollar amount makes for a better setup for the scam. After all, claiming a mistaken overpayment of several hundred dollars on a thirty-dollar job is less plausible than alleging a similar mistake on the basis of a considerably larger amount of money.

My thoughts anyway.

Liviu-Lee Roth
Kevin Fulton

Robert Forstag
United States
Spanish to English
+ ...
Two more just this morning May 7, 2020

I received two offers similar to the one mentioned by the OP just this morning. One requested a "translation service" with no mention of language combination. In the other instance, the sender indicated, "I have a English for a project that will need your service."

Maybe with COVID-19, there are more people out there who bite on such obvious scams....

Liviu-Lee Roth

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam: a 11518-word document to translate from EN to ES

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »