Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:12
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Then why? Jul 12, 2018

DZiW wrote:
Dan, in translation a modern CPU is hardly a bottleneck, so a hyperthreaded i7 is just a boosted i5 option with a better integrated video, which may even become a big issue for shorter battery life... and higher price.

In theory no, but the machine is chugging in certain situations.
It's being hit hard; the question is why.
It's only Studio 2017, not the latest version of Far Cry.
Fast CPU, fast SSD, 16GB - where's the bottleneck?

Dan

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Plenty of memory Jul 12, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
How do you know tasks such as selecting all segments (which is also slow on my desktop computer, for large files, by the way) will improve with a faster processor (instead of e.g. more RAM)?

I don't, but given that the machine already has 16GB, and that the data for 4,000 segments with the associated data structures to hold and manipulate those segments should not take up more than a very small fraction of that, and given that Studio is not shown as using gigabytes of memory in task manager (about 21MB as I write, and a few hundred MB at most), it seems reasonable to assume that adding more memory is unlikely to help much. But I could be wrong.

Regards,
Dan

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Besides settings and configuration conflicts come (1) misusage and (2) inherent flaws by design Jul 12, 2018

It remind me how a friend of mine bought 2CD Command'n'Conquer: Generals--Zero Hour and was disappointed his then-cut-edge P4 with an expensive nVidia graphics and 2GB overclocked RAM couldn't work smoothly. Of course, reading forums, changing to allegedly faster ATi video and AMD CPU, and buying even more memory did help, yet not with C'n'C. Every three-four years he upgraded a new up-to-the-minute PC and always nagged why his favorite game was *... See more
It remind me how a friend of mine bought 2CD Command'n'Conquer: Generals--Zero Hour and was disappointed his then-cut-edge P4 with an expensive nVidia graphics and 2GB overclocked RAM couldn't work smoothly. Of course, reading forums, changing to allegedly faster ATi video and AMD CPU, and buying even more memory did help, yet not with C'n'C. Every three-four years he upgraded a new up-to-the-minute PC and always nagged why his favorite game was *still* so lagging, whereas more demanding software ran flawlessly. Why, even nowadays the best i7/9 with several top videocards and plenty of ultra-fast memory/storage is no answer, because... it was just a poor (rough-and-ready) coding.

Moreover, not long ago my client working as a project manager among other things mentioned they got a lot of lucrative offers and could greatly improve their software, but there's no need for humble customers already can tolerate its drawbacks, why?

Shortly, for some specs a piece of software (and its settings) may appear a wrong (neither best, nor optimal) option, so it's high time to consider (1) another tool (competitors' offers) or (2) better hardware--like an ULTRAbook. Or something else--just set real goals)

[Edited at 2018-07-12 17:03 GMT]
Collapse

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:12
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Dan Jul 12, 2018

Dan Lucas wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:
How do you know tasks such as selecting all segments (which is also slow on my desktop computer, for large files, by the way) will improve with a faster processor (instead of e.g. more RAM)?

I don't, but given that the machine already has 16GB...

After your previous post, I tested my Trados 2015 with a nice, juicy SDLXLIFF file (80000 segments, 50 MB), while watching the memory and CPU usage in a program that allows one to see how much RAM and CPU a program is using at that moment. Although Trados had access to all of my cores, CPU usage never went above 30%, even if I increased the priority to near-realtime, and during tasks such as scrolling to the last segment, selecting all segments, and copying source=target for all segments (which took 15-20 minutes per task), the CPU usage typically stayed below 25%. RAM usage never went above 600 MB (I have 16 GB in total). I do have a slow-ish SSD but it takes Notepad just 2 seconds to load the 50 MB file completely, so that can't be the bottleneck. So... I wonder what this means... if I had a faster CPU and more RAM, will Trados still be slow?

Just yesterday I got a job worth a mere 9000 segments in Trados, and I'm already scheming.

Dan Lucas
United Kingdom
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
I wonder too Jul 12, 2018

Samuel Murray wrote:
I do have a slow-ish SSD but it takes Notepad just 2 seconds to load the 50 MB file completely, so that can't be the bottleneck. So... I wonder what this means... if I had a faster CPU and more RAM, will Trados still be slow?

What does it mean indeed. I'm guessing that it's some problem inherent to the way the application is designed or coded. It just never feels snappy, and it often feels turgid.

Dan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

10" netbooks and trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »