When threads disappear
Thread poster: Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:45
French to English
Jul 17, 2020

If I'm following a thread and it disappears, I want to know why.

expressisverbis
Christopher Schröder

Marwa Seleem
Marwa Seleem  Identity Verified
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 13:45
Member (2019)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hi Elizabeth Jul 18, 2020

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I asked them to remove the thread, things were getting really ugly there.

I wrote the post in a light way about a situation I face daily, and l thought it would be nice to share with some colleagues here.

But it was a fatal mistake!

By the way, thank you for your kind comment!

expressisverbis
Elizabeth Tamblin

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 11:45
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Marwa Jul 18, 2020

Marwa Seleem wrote:

Oh that thread... aah. The only thing that got ugly in that thread was a troll trying to bait you. Most of the other participants behaved amicably. You should not feed a troll. In other words, when a troll tries to get you to respond, don't respond -- it only pollutes the conversation for everyone else.

Well, it is an original poster's right to request that a thread be hidden. Nothing wrong with that. But I think what Elizabeth is aiming at is that sometimes one can't help but suspect the hand of powers that be, and it would have been nice if threads that were hidden could be explained, e.g. "Hidden on request of original poster" or "Hidden due to violation of forum rules", etc. Threads can also be locked (and remain visible, along with a final message from the moderator saying why), but that doesn't happen so often.

Marwa Seleem
expressisverbis
Elizabeth Tamblin
Philip Lees
Christel Zipfel

Marwa Seleem
Saudi Arabia
Member (2019)
English to Arabic
+ ...
Hi Samuel Jul 18, 2020

Samuel Murray wrote:

Marwa Seleem wrote:

Oh, that thread... aah. The only thing that got ugly in that thread was a troll trying to bait you. Most of the other participants behaved amicably. You should not feed a troll. In other words, when a troll tries to get you to respond, don't respond -- it only pollutes the conversation for everyone else.

Well, it is an original poster's right to request that a thread be hidden. Nothing wrong with that. But I think what Elizabeth is aiming at is that sometimes one can't help but suspect the hand of powers that be, and it would have been nice if threads that were hidden could be explained, e.g. "Hidden on request of the original poster" or "Hidden due to violation of forum rules", etc. Threads can also be locked (and remain visible, along with a final message from the moderator saying why), but that doesn't happen so often.

You have a point, but the rest of the conversation was revolving around that troll, and some get their share of it.
So it became pointless to maintain such a thread

Regarding rules, first, I requested support with a certain commenter, for hours nothing happened and the snowball was getting bigger.
Removing the thread came after many requests, so don't expect more actions to be done.

expressisverbis

expressisverbis
expressisverbis
Portugal
Member (2015)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Me too... Jul 18, 2020

... I was following that threat too, and when I was going to leave my second comment, I got a message saying the post didn't exist anymore.
Samuel is right, the best thing to do is to ignore.
Life is too short
Have a nice Saturday everyone!

Elizabeth Tamblin
Marwa Seleem

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Marwa Jul 18, 2020

Marwa Seleem wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

I wrote the post in a light way about a situation I face daily, and l thought it would be nice to share with some colleagues here.

Thank you for replying. I was keeping an eye on the thread, and just wanted to check that you were ok. So when the thread disappeared, I was left wondering what had happened.

It was indeed an interesting topic that you posted, and such a shame that somebody had to ruin it for you.

Marwa Seleem
expressisverbis

Marwa Seleem
Saudi Arabia
Member (2019)
English to Arabic
+ ...
I am sorry for keeping you worried Jul 18, 2020

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Marwa Seleem wrote:

Elizabeth Tamblin wrote:

Thank you for replying. I was keeping an eye on the thread and just wanted to check that you were ok. So when the thread disappeared, I was left wondering what had happened.

It was indeed an interesting topic that you posted, and such a shame that somebody had to ruin it for you.

Thank you, that is so thoughtful of you!

The bright side of what happened on the thread that it gave me a chance to meet some supportive colleagues!

Elizabeth Tamblin
expressisverbis
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When threads disappear

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »